title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: overburn

Re: overburn

No, don't eat your hat :D

I think I have learned something though: burning wav files to a cd as data files can end up taking more space than the same wav files as audio cd tracks.

I'm not about to test this actually, but an interesting piece of trivia nevertheless.

As I said, that is because the data files have error correction that is burned with them, making them take up more space. At least, that's how I heard it.

I burned 2 cdr's. The first one a audiocd with 10 tracks, the second a data cdr with 10 wav files. Both with the same playtime in total.
    The first one is 383 MB the second did take 388,5 MB.

Baloe

okay, in reguard to all the confusion with wav files...yes they are in fact larger on the harddrive than they are once they are burned to a disc....there's a few reasonings for this.....first off, when you burn the wav's to a disc, they are in fact converted to audio tracks as opposed to plain wav files...another reason, like what was stated earlier is the data correction as opposed to audio where there is no correction....and last is wav has a pretty big file overhead if i remember correctly, whereas audio tracks do not, because they are not really files per say once they are on the disc, but tracks on the disc....hope that clears stuff up........wav is as close as you can get to an audio track on a computer......but its not quite the same.

We weren't referring the the .cda files that appear on a track listing. Those obviously are not the actual audio files, they are pointers to the actual audio data elsewhere on the medium.

They would add a little overhead, but the rest must come from error correction or lack thereof in the audio data portion itself.

The audio data on an aaaudio cd is still the same wav data - minus error correction as has been mentioned. And possibly not affected at the track level by data block size which has to be a multiple of so many k bytes, whetver the system specifies.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 11-15-2005 at 09:21 PM.