title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cant rip files? Help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Cant rip files? Help!

In keeping with Wayne's hypothesis, the remaining option would be to record the cd as played on a cd player through the line input of the computer/soundcard using auxilary input. This should work unless the cd skips on cd players as well.

There does seem to be a lot of information on diagnosing and bypassing copy-protection in this thread (referenced by Razgo in the Sticky on Copy Protected CD's in the DRM & CD Copy Protection section of the forum):

(The sticky thread can be found here:
    http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7418 )

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• Paradigm
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS

Did you ever disable autoplay in your drive?
      I dont have the option to disable? No options on cd drives.

What quality level do regular cd players play at?

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

What quality level do regular cd players play at?
        CD audio is basically standard 16 bit, stereo, wave sampled at 44.1 kHz and the bitrate, I believe is something like 1446 kbs.
        You can get the same quality from any of the lossless codecs (Flac, Monkeys audio, wavepack, WMA lossless).
        In any of the "lossy" formats (mp3, Ogg Vorbis, Musepack, wma, mp4/m4a, aac) it would be true in one sense to say that even at the highest quality settings you will have a less than perfect copy of the original cd. However, for many listeners the goal with using a lossy codec is to try to identify the bitrate (or quality setting) at which the listener can no longer distinguish between the source (the cd) and the copy or (second best) the point at which increased quality settings fail to result in noticeable difference. The factors that determine these points is dependent on several variables including your equipment, your listening environment(s), your listening skills, your listening habits, and even the types of music you listen to.
        My guess is that generally you will find your optimum recording level to be somewhere between 160 kbs and 240 kbs if you are concerned about getting optimum quality from a lossy codec. While wma is a superior codec for situations in which you want to get reasonable quality for the least space (and while wma lossless and wma professional have improved wma's performance at higher bitrates), wma is not usually considered to be in quite the same league as mp3, musepack, ogg vorbis, mp4/m4a at these higher bitrates.

For what its worth, I believe you had tried disabling the autoplay feature from the cd
        (holding down the shift key while inserting the cd in the drive is one way of doing this I believe).

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

I was talking about disabling autoplay for the drive itself.

At least in WIndows XP this is what you do:

1. Click on My Computer.

2. Right click the particular drive and select Properties.

3. Select the Auto Play tab and take it from there. You can instruct it to take no action or prompt every time or whatever.

Comment

• pagerwho
            • Oct 2005

Here is the solution to this annoying problem.....

Step 1:

Do not buy any more CDs from Sony BMG.... Please help with this, complain, send e-mails to them requesting a change, let apple know of the problem, and pass this information on to everyone you know.

Step 2:

Rip the CD with the included software

Step 3:

Burn the CD with 3rd party software.... do not use WMP, use Nero or equivilant (I used Nero and it worked just fine)

Step 4:

Rip the CD using dbPowerAMP

This should work for you.

Please help with this, let everyone know how to skirt their protection, I understand why they are doing it, and this is perfectly legal, so long as you do not redistribute the CD (Piracy), seeing as how you are allowed to back up your CD. By using only their software, if you have an iPod, you can't play the CD on it.

Comment

Working...

]]>