title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: burn mp4a files to audio disc

burn mp4a files to audio disc

is it possible to make an audio disc consisting of mp4a songs... i have a problem with this thing... heavy regard!!

Re: burn mp4a files to audio disc

If these files are m4p files with DRM restrictions, you might well have to first remove the DRM measures before you can burn these files to audio disc with dCW (iTunes may allow you to do this within iTunes, if you convert and burn the tracks to cd however).

But assuming these songs do not have DRM restrictions attached, then the answer is yes. The question is whether you want to create an audio disc in standard cd format or whether you want to create an audio disc that keeps your files in an mp4/m4a format (useful perhaps for archiving or if you had an audio player that was capable of reading such a disc-I am not sure such a player exists or not).

If you are creating a standard audio cd, you will need the mp4/m4a/Apple Lossless codec from Codec Central (for the program to be able to read these files). Then open up dCW, select Standard Audio CD as your disc type, slect your tracks and these will be converted to standard cd format.

If you want to create an audio cd of mp4/m4a files in that format, you will still need the mp4/m4a/Apple Lossless codec from Codec Central. Open dCW. Click on the button that reads New CD (in the menu bar). In the Window that opens up (which will read dBpowerAMP CD Writer-Create New Audio CD) click on the button that reads Create New CD. In the window that now appears (it will read dBpowerAMP Music Converter-Creating New CD, click on the button that reads mp3/wma cd and set the length for the disc you are creating. Then scroll the menu window that reads Type to select the file format (m4a) for the files on your disc. You can also set your quality (bitrate) level, use the Smart Convert feature if you want the program to keep some files as is, and/or set the file/folder protocol for your disc (default setting will save all tracks in a single folder arranged by artist name (first name) and track name in alphabetical order). Then click on the button that reads Create CD. In the remaining window (Create New CD) click on OK. Then you can select your tracks for converting to or saving to your m4a audio disc.

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Doesn't the Smart button preserve the original file types and bypass conversions when making an mp3/wma data cd?

Well, the Smart button has settings for what files you leave alone and what files you convert.

Right, that's what I thought, so you can simply transfer to cd all your files as is, with no additional conversion.

Well I think its really a bit more complex than that.
    Assume you are making an mp3 cd from a group of mp3 files at various bitrates plus some Flac files and you intend to convert your mp3 files encoded at bitrates above 192 kbs to 192 kbs, and you program the Smart button that way, the Smart will leave alone mp3 files which were originally encoded at bitrates below 192 kbs. If you tell it to leave your Flac files alone, it will actually transfer your Flac files intact to your mp3 disc (as opposed to leaving them off of the mp3 cd altogether). I haven't tried to burn such a mixed type cd to see whether CD Writer could actually burn a dual format cd in this manner or whether it would crash trying to do so. But it is an interesting question.

The other thing I have noticed is that the Smart button does not seem to transfer (going back to my example), the mp3 files with low bitrates any quicker than it does for those mp3 files recorded at higher bitrates (whereas the Flac files were added very quickly). This may have to do with specifying a constant bitrate (although my files encoded at relatively low bitrates generally are already constant bitrate, unlike those I have encoded at alt-preset-extreme), or maybe it just has something else to do with mp3 format, I'm not sure.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Ugh, I think either I was seriously mistaken or I have to fiddle with the Smart settings some more. :o

Previously I had not tried to use a complex mix, my simple tests worked fine. With a complex mix some stuff seems to get converted and other doesn't, despite my specifying all the types which should not get converted. I must be doing something not quite right. I made a new mp3/wma cd type for this and was trying to copy to the cd a wav, an mp3 and a wma and expected them to be copied as is because I specified those types to be left alone in the Smart button settings. I think the wav got converted to something... never burned it so I don't know to what.

That is a bit confusing at first try. I need to explore it more.

I remember my little beef about dCW: file extensions don't appear on the source side, nor on the cd side for a data cd. It would be helpful to know what went in and what got there and how.

Oh, and some file types listed don't work at all - like midi. Whereas m4a and mp4 aren't even in the list it seems.

I think the wav got converted to something... never burned it so I don't know to what...I think the wav got converted to something... never burned it so I don't know to what...It would be helpful to know what went in and what got there and how.
    Actually, you can check this out by going to your TempCreateCD folder and looking at the temporary files.

Oh, and some file types listed don't work at all - like midi.
    I'm surprised that .midi is listed (in the Smart Conversion setting menu) since dMC does not convert .midi. On the other hand I do have m4a and mp4 on my list.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Yes, the file might have been there but I deleted the Cd from dcW and cleared it all, without bothering to see what if anything it did.

I have a million file formats listed but not .m4a or .mp4 - and maybe that's because I don't think I have have those codecs installed right now (new pc, etc.) . But also there are file types listed there which I know I don't have codecs for for sure..... at least not installed through dB.

Funnny thing is I can play .mp4 videos in WMP because of a 3ivx filter I installed.

The codecs shown there for teh SMart button must be the codecs I have on my pc from all sources, not just what has been installed through dB.

It looks like its just PC-wide codecs, Christina, but then the "DirectShow (*.ra)" popped out at me. It looks like it is just the dMC codecs you have installed.

Hmmm.... unless most of thsoe sort of get installed by the sheer installtion of dMC (vanilla flavor).

I have only installed separately the DirectShow and mp3pro decoding codecs - that I recall. Can't even remember installing the real media codec :o Which means zip, as I have been installing and uninstalling and reinstalling stuff (like a whole new pc) for the longest time :D

My current configuration:
    Version Information
    dBpowerAMP Music Converter: Release 11.5
    Power Pack & Mp3 License: [ Registered: Yes ]
    dBpowerAMP Audio Player
    dBpowerAMP CD Writer: Release 2 [ Registered: Yes ]
    Sveta Portable Audio: Not Installed 'enhance your portable player'

Contact Information
    Web Site: http://www.dbpoweramp.com
    Support: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/support.htm
    Support Forum: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com
    Codec Central: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm
    Add extra [en/de]coding abilities such as m4a, wma, etc.

Smart Install Codecs
    Musepack: .mpc
    Mp4 (AAC): .mp4
    Flac: .flac
    Monkeys Audio: .ape
    OptimFROG: .ofr
    Shorten: .shn
    WavPack: .wv
    Advanced Audio Compression: .aac

Installed Compression Codecs (Write)
    Audio cd
    Mp3 (Lame): Lame Version 3.96.1 [ .mp3 ]
    mp3PRO (CLI): [ .mp3 ]
    Real Audio: Release 3 [ .rm ]
    Test Conversion (No Write)
    Wave: [ .wav ]
    Windows Media Audio V9.1: Release 1 [ .wma ]

Installed Input Codecs (Read)
    Auxiliary Input Decoder: .aux
    CD Input Decoder: .cda
    DirectShow Decoder: Release 1 .ra; .rm
    Midi Input Decoder: .mid; .midi
    Mp3 Input Decoder: .mp3; .mp2; .mpga; .mpa; .mpx; .mpg; .mp1
    mp3PRO Input Decoder: .mp3; .mp2; .snd; .mpga; .mpx; .mpg
    Ogg Input Decoder: .ogg
    Wave Input Decoder: .wav
    Windows Media Audio Input Decoder: .wma; .asf; .wmv

Mp3 Input Decoder
    CRC Errors: Ignore
    Decode To: 16 bit (dithered)

Wave Compression Codec
    More than 16 bit or 2 Channels: Write WaveFormatEx Header

Mp3
    Tag Creation: Smart Ape2 & ID3v1
    Write ID3v1 Version: v1.1
    ID3v1 UTF8 Read: Yes
    ID3v1 UTF8 Write: No
    Write ID3v2 Unicode: No
    Write ID3v2 Version: v2.3

Windows Media Audio
    Write Track Number as: WM/TrackNumber

It looks like the Smart button menu lists decoders available to dB CDW and dMC. For example, I have the dB WinAmp Input Decoder set up to read .nsf files.
    I also note there's a separate line in the Smart button menu for each file extension supported rather than for each codec.

Best wishes,
    Bill