title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Annoying repeats at the end of live tracks that I convert

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Annoying repeats at the end of live tracks that I convert

I have listened to this album many a time on a regular CD player
    That might help rule out a flaw in the cd itself (always worth considering). On the other hand, sometimes computer drives might be more sensitive to scratches or dirt on a cd than a standard cd player. I wonder if you could try to play the cd track on your computer as a cd track. Since the track had the skip at the end when being previewed in dB Audio CD Input, I think this might help better pinpoint where the error is occuring. If the problem shows up on one drive, you might then try playing it through your other drive. If this problem occurs with playing the cd on your computer in one of your drives, your other drive might be able to handle the task ok. If neither does, you might try cleaning the cd and trying again.
    Likewise, if you try playing the track in WinAmp and the problem occurs, then try playing the cd in another player (like WMP).

In these attempts, play the track by itself without playing the track after it.

Two ideas for approaches to isolated episodes of this problem might be :
    1. In cases where 2 tracks seem to flow together seamlessly, you could use the "Rip as One" feature to rip the two tracks together. I would be willing to predict that in that situation you would not get the repeat (you can use the preview feature in the "rip as one" window to check this out.
    2. You could also use the "rip as one feature" to rip a track outside of its normal boundaries. Nirvana's Unplugged album is cut on cd so that the commentary preceding a track is often at the end of the track before it. Using "rip as one" you can end the first track at the end of the music and start the second with the beginning of the commentary. There is a preview feature that allows you to fine tune where you set it.
    As another way to use this feature, I would wonder whether you could use this feature to find a spot slightly before the designated end of the track to end it which would avoid the repeat.

Yes, both of these approaches have their drawbacks to warrant heavy wholesale use.

Let us know of the results from trying to play the track as a cd track on your computer, and on different drives, and whether you tried cleaning the cd and, if so, whether it helped. You might try taking the Chump track and see if the second suggestion (using the "rip as one" feature to rip the track slightly shorter to avoid wheatever is triggering the repeat) actually works or whether the repeat occurs where ever you end the track (this strikes me as being very unlikely but if this were the case it might be diagnostic in itself).

Of course, LtData or Christina might have some better ideas.
    Can you tell us a bit about your Windows version and your drives?

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• Drysarcasm
      • Sep 2005

Converting to Wave doesn't make a difference. And it can't be the Power Pack, because I was having these problems using dBpowerAMP version 5.

I downloaded another utility, ACXtractor, to see what might happen. It CAN play "Chump" cleanly, interestingly enough, but still winds up screwing up the ending when I burn the song.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Alright, let me try to summarize what we have figured out so far:
        1) Your CD Drive is now set to use Digital Audio and is in DMA mode, but didn't fix the problem
        2) The PowerPack isn't the culprit, as dMC v5 did this too
        3) The destination format isn't the problem, as WAV and mp3 both do this
        But I do have a few more questions, as xoas also said above: What OS are you using? If your using Win98/95, did you download the updates here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/Windows95-Update.htm
        Also, I still think the culprit might be your low CPU Speed, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Thread moved to dMC Support

Edit2: The files that have repeats, how does their length compare to the length of the CD track?
        Last edited by LtData; 09-11-2005, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• Drysarcasm
          • Sep 2005

A ripped track with repeats at the end will appear to be the same length as the track listing in the program. In fact, when I play them back in Winamp, the counter showing how much time is left will blank out when the repeats begin.

I had success in ACXtractor by setting it to rip only 2:52 of "Chump," which is 2:54 long. A feature like that, whereby you can set precisely the portion of the song you want, might be a nice feature to have in dBpowerAMP. (Heh, as soon as you pull the thread out of "Wishlist," I manage to think up a feature I wish the program had!)

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

It's there already. That's the DSP effect called TRIM :D

Comment

• Drysarcasm
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
              It's there already. That's the DSP effect called TRIM :D
              Oh, good! I guess I can just use that to chop the repeats off instead of Wavepad.

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2002

If you experiment with a few of these tracks, you may find that you can use the trim function to remove just a small amount from the end of each track with "small" meaning just enough to prevent the repeats in the first place but so small that removing this would not have a perceptable effect on other tracks.

It would still be helpful to know your operating system. It kind of sounds like the problem may be with the way that bookmarks embedded in the cd to keep these tracks separate are handled by your system.

Best wishes,
                Bill
                Last edited by xoas; 09-11-2005, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• Drysarcasm
                  • Sep 2005

My operating system is Windows XP.

Comment

Working...

]]>