title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: dbpoweramp converter ?

Re: dbpoweramp converter ?

Hello back already, probably should have this on a new thread.

I was burning a cd thru my sony software, and a HP cd writer Plus 8200.

I had 21 songs to burn, at the end of the 17th song I got this msg that the burn had failed, with this as the reason "buffer underrun". Not sure what this means.

Also I am using memorex cd-r 52x700mbx80min.

Thanks

Ahh, one of those. Well, what a buffer underrun means is that the buffer of data that was being burned became empty and the burn failed.

You see, when you tell the computer to burn a CD, it builds up a buffer of data on both the hard drive and in the memory on the CD burner itself. This data is burned onto the CD and normally is not emptied. However, if other tasks are being done on the computer, or if the screen saver kicks in, the CD burning is no longer allowed all of the computer's resources and the buffer becomes empty. In newer CD drives, there are measures to counteract this, including knowing where the burning was stopped and is resumed there once the buffer fills back up. Unfortunately, this cannot be added afterwards.

Also, it looks like your drive is a 4x4x32 drive. This means it burns CD-Rs at 4x, CD-RWs at 4x and reads CDs at a max of 32x. If you burn a lot of CDs, I recommend buying a new CD burner. As long as you are in the US, there are online stores where you can purchase a new CD burner for around $30 and get speeds of 52x32x52x. If you want to know of some of these stores, PM me and I will help you find one. However, you do need to have someone local who is capable of installing the CD burner into your computer. Also, if you want to do this I need to know the specifications of your computer (CPU speed, amount of RAM).

In the meantime, when you burn a CD close everything else and sit at the computer to make sure the screensaver doesn't turn on. If you don't mind slow burning speeds, this should still allow you to keep your current CD burner but still burn CDs.

Oh, I'd love to have a burner capable at burning at 4x - but also capable of burning at high speed. Mine cannot go slower than 8x. I like burning good audio cd's at the lowest possible speed to avoid any potential problems. Slow, yes, but better quality. If I burn an audio cd at high speed it might be faulty. At least this is what I have found in the past. I have scrapped enough presumably good quality audio cd's by burning them at too high a speed (though within their rating) and they ended up skipping tracks.

You might want to check to see if your burning software has a "Burn Proof" (or this is sometimes called "SmoothLink") option or you might want to try a diferent burning program that does support such a feature (although you will also get burning software with a new drive, assuming that you are willing to do that-slow does have its advantages as Christina points out).

The BurnProof feature should minimize the type of problem you describe.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Xoas, I don't think his drive supports "Burn Proof" or anything like that. It seems to be an early-generation CD burner.

Thanks, LtData my son is an MIS mgr and computer hardware/software installer, currently in charge of a financial institution and many branches, he built my previous cp which went bad, my other cp had a sony cd w/rw installed so when he gave me his old one which had a lot more disk space I ended up with this hp writer. The sony writer had many speeds on it. I think it is fantastic that you would be willing to help me that's why I enjoy this forum and you, osas and Christiana so much. :smile2:

I will have him replace the hp with my sony. I probably cold have gone to him, but I like to try and fix things on my own if possible. I am about 40 years to late learning cp things, but this does keep my mind active and alert.

Out of curosity, I did some checking and found my current speed options is: 4x600-2x300-1-150--when I burned the cd I used the 4x600. In view of what Christina mentioned in her reply, perhaps I should have used a slower speed, however not sure about that.

Also, I remember xaos mentioned the burn proof when I had my other cp, I do not find it on this writer.

This is what I found under the Nero Info Tool:

CD=RW Recorder
    Buffer size 2mb
    Read speed set at 24
    Write speed set a 4x

In that area there was a box that was not checked that had "Buffer under-run" I tried to put a check mark in the box but it wouldn't accept it. I do think it check the read speed to 24.

It showed the following speeds in that area:
    24x 4234 kbs
    3x 1411 kbs
    4x 706 kbs
    2x 353dbs
    1x 176 kbs

I don't think the above has much to do with my current, but thought I would post it to you out of curosity.
    Thanks!!

Xoas, I don't think his drive supports "Burn Proof" or anything like that. It seems to be an early-generation CD burner.
    LtData-You may well be correct. I proposed this because it seemed to me with an early generation hp cd burner I had (which burned at either 2x or 4x, I no longer recall), I was able to use burner software that incorporated BurnProof. So I had been assuming that BurnProof technology was more an issue of the burner program than of the burner itself.
    Was this assumption misguided?
    If so, apologies to all.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Java, perhaps you burner would need to burn at a lower speed, but today 4x is plenty slow.

Buffer underrun protection needs to be supported by the burner, I'm quite sure of that. My first burner didn't support this either as I recall, and I had some problems with it probably because of that too. I never did associate the screen saver with that though. Did't actually try to undertand - just changed it when faster drives came out.

Hello, I have 3 new Memorex CD-R 52x700mb 80min discs that cannot I cannot burn.

I get this msg.

Compilation cannot be written on this disc. Insert a disc of the correct type or modify the settings of your compilation to make it compatible

Disc required for compilation ---CD-R/RW

Disc type in the recorder (empty)

Baffling!!!

I'm pretty sure the problem is that your disks are high-speed disks and cannot be burned by older burners. You might need to look for some slower speed CD-Rs.

Best wishes,
    Bill

EDIT: I believe my frst guess (above) is wrong on this. What software are you using for burning?
    You may need to change some settings (or you may need to try a different disk brand-it may be that these disks do not work well for your particular burner). For a very general description of potential problems with disks not playing see:
    http://www.memorex.com/html/support_...p3.php?qid=92*

Best wishes,
    Bill
    Last edited by xoas; 03-24-2006 at 10:35 PM.