title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dbpoweramp converter ?

Re: dbpoweramp converter ?

Hello Christina, thanks I was able to copy some midis and convert them to wav and was sucessful in burn a cd of those songs. Another thing that cropped in my mind when I was reading Bill's instructions, should these real files that I have be copied and then converted to mp3?

I have found this download, and due to you vast knowledge of what I should have would you say that this is what I should download?

You do need a player that is capable of playing RealMedia. The included Media Player Classic supports it and works very well. Supported: RealAudio (.ra .rpm), RealMedia (.rm .ram .rmvb .rpx .smi .smil), RealText (.rt), ReadPix (.rp), RealMedia embedded in webpages. .smi and .smil files sometimes only play the first part of a clip. This is a limitation of the current Media Player Classic. The RealMedia Browser plugin supports Internet Explorer, Opera, Netscape and Mozilla.

Features of Real Alternative 1.43 :

- Media Player Classic [version 6.4.8.4]
    - RealMedia Codecs [version 6.0.12.1235]
    - RealMedia DirectShow splitter [version 1.0.1.0]
    - RealMedia plugin for Internet Explorer
    - RealMedia plugin for Opera/Mozilla/Netscape

Changes from Real Alternative 1.42 to Real Alternative 1.43 :

- Updated RealMedia components to version 6.0.12.1235
    - Minor changes

Have a good labor day weekend to you, Bill and LtData!!!!

Well, Real Alternative provides Media Player classic. It allows playing of Real Media files in lieu of Real PLayer which many people don't like. I doubt it has all the features of Real Player (playing streaming real media, burning audio cd's). It is also an incomplete substitute for Windows Media Player.

It does allow playing real media files in an interface resembling an older WIndows media player - also the directshow filters allow the actual Windows Medai Player to play real medi afiles and otehr for which you install the filters.

The point is if you need to be able to convert real media files (.ra and .rm) using dMC, you have 2 choices:

1) the older decoder codecs that rely on Real Player and decode in real time (i.e. the duration of teh conversion is the same as the duraiton of the audio file).

2) the newer directshow codec and filter enabled through Real Alterantive which will allow dMC to convert .ra and .rm files fast.

Unfortunately things are never as simple as that. My experience has been that some real media files cannot be converted with the directshow codec but can be converted using the older real media codec afforded through Real Player - which however also requires Real player to be installed.

Also some real media files cannot be decoded using the older real media codec and can be decoded using the directshow codec.

Things get a bit mroe complciated than that. It looks like you cannot easily have both Real Alterantive (minus Media Player Classic) AND Real Player installed without running into some problems - e.g. GetPupUp Info crashes for me if I have both on. or it used to crash, haven't verified again after upgrading my system to XP.

So what you should do is install the directshow codec (and .ra and .rm filters) and Real alternative from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ra.htm - leave out the older Real media codec for now. Follow all the steps in order, no second-guessing, as it's a bit tricky.

Use dMC to try to convert your .ra or .rm files to other audio formats (,mp3 or .wma or whatever you like). It's likely you won't have problems in general.

If you do, then it's time to use the older real media codec.

Thanks Christiana and to the rest of the folks that have gone out of their way to provide me with information.

At 70 years of age I find it a bit difficult to comprehend this dmc converter. When I ask one question and post it and I immeadiatley think of something else I should have asked. Nevertheless, I have learned a lot from you folks.

So, I think that I will sit back and try to understand all that has been given to me. Will probably be back at a later time.

I know that using caps is talking to loud yet I feel compeled to say

THANKS!!!! :supersmil

dBpoweramp Guru

At 70 years of age I find it a bit difficult to comprehend this dmc converter. When I ask one question and post it and I immeadiatley think of something else I should have asked. Nevertheless, I have learned a lot from you folks.
    It's ok to edit your post if you find that you have more to say!

For your information, Auxiliary Input converts everything at real-time, but you have to do the manual clicking and playing song and stuff... I would recommend setting a global hotkey for "Play" and "Stop" in RealOne Player, so you can easily play and stop the song as you are recording it in Auxiliary Input.

Hello have been of the board for a time, but am back trying to read all the info you folks have given me.

Christina said to do this:
    what you should do is install the directshow codec (and .ra and .rm filters) and Real alternative from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ra.htm - leave out the older Real media codec for now. Follow all the steps in order, no second-guessing, as it's a bit tricky.

When I tried it some time ago it wouldn't load the direct show, but loaded it tonite. There were two encoders one writer and one reader I loaded the reader could that be correct or should I have loaded both?

Thanks for now!!! :p

All that you should have downloaded off of the RA codec page was the ENcoder, not the old decoder. Decoding should now be handled by Real Alternative and the dMC "DirectShow Decoder" codec.

Hello Lt Data and Thanks, what I loaded was: dbpoweramp direct show codec reader. Is that correct?

Below that is " Real audio encoder writer codec - do I need this?

I will also need to load real alternative Lt Data is that correct?

Thanks

Yes, that is correct.
    As for the Real encoder, you only need that codec if you want to output Real files instead of just decoding them.
    Yes, you need Real Alternative. More specifically, when installing, make sure you install the "Real DirectShow Splitter" (or something close, I can't recall the exact name).
    Now, did you follow the next set of instructions:
    Real Audio: Download 'Real Alternative' from http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1054136293/1 (or search in Google for Real Alternative) add .ra .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb all on separate lines to Configure DirectShow Decoder
    After you add .ra and the like to the Configure file, run dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) and make sure those codecs show up under "DirectShow Decoder" or something similar.

Need some help/advice:

Is the realshow direct splitter in the real alternative d/l?

add .ra .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb all on separate lines to Configure DirectShow Decoder where do I do this?

After you add .ra and the like to the Configure file, run dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) and make sure those codecs show up under "DirectShow Decoder" or something similar--where do I do this?

In the "Music converter log" it shows this:
    The CODEC require to compress d:l-trac1.mp3 could not be opened, not sure what this means

Also what instructions are you referring to?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Java; 10-03-2005 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Left out a question

The instructions I mentioned are on the DirectShow Decoder page.
    The real DirectShow Splitter is included in Real Alternative, yes.
    When you install the DirectShow Decoder into dMC, look in the Start Menu folder and you should see a link named "Configure DirectShow Decoder".
    Start is referring to your Start Menu
    Can you convert other files to mp3? Are you using dMC r11.5 that just came out recently?

Hello, I finaly got the ac3 splitter installed, Have not yet installed Real Alternative.

I typed the following:
    Add supported DirectShow file type extensions, type only one extension per
    // line (replace .xyz below), re-run 'dMC Configuration' after adding new, for example:
    //
    // .ac3
    // .abc
    //

.xyz
    .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb
    .rpm
    .rm
    .ram
    Is there something there that should be deleted you will note the second sentence has this "(replace .xyz below), re-run 'dMC Configuration' after adding new, for example:"

Tell me exactley what it means or how do you fun "dmc configuration">

I noted tha you mentioned run configuration, so, did not know how.

When I click on start dmc configuration I get a box that has many items on it --Contac information - codec central etc.

Prior to d/l real altenative is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

.rmvb

This is how it ended up. It showed up in theis DSExt-notepad.

.rpm .rm .ram .rmvb
    Put each of these on separate lines, like this:
    Code:
    .rpm
    .rm
    .ram
    .rmvb
    Delete .xyz.
    You have to install Real Alternative before you can get the DirectShow Decoder to recognize real files.
    Yes, dMC Configuration is the right window. Either scroll down to "Installed Decoders (read)" or click the tab along the top that says "Installed Decoders (read)". There, you should see something like "DirectShow" and then the extensions it recognizes.

Administrator

//

.xyz

-----
    I also wouldn't have an empty line between // and .xyz (just to be sure)

Hello, I finally got the filter installed as well as real alternative. Couple more questions, when it said "rerun dmc configuration" what does that mean or how is it done.

Soon I am going to try to convert some midi files to wav. I had some already done but am going to start over with the new meadia player.

On one post on this board that gave very good instructions on converting to wav it said I believe, "convert to wav and then convert to mp later" How is that done?

One more, I have a site that has gospel music that I like, it is freeware, and I found out sometime ago that I needed real player to hear it. That is the reason I had real player, now real alternative has taken that over. I want to d/l these songs and then burn to cd. Do I need to convert them using dmc converter to wave, or do I need to do that?

You folks have been great, thanks and I will await your replies. :smile2:

dMC Configuration is one of the programs that gets installed with dBpowerAMp Music Converter. You'll find it in Start> Programs > dBpowerAMP Music Converter > Configuration> dMC Configuration .

When somebody says "convert to wav" it mean select wav (uncompressed, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo) as the codec for a conversion using dMC and then run dMC Again for the output wav file created the first time and select the mp3 codec.

But remember that you don't "convert" mid to wav. You record mid to wav as it's being played by any player through your soundcard. For this you can use dMC Auxiliary Input to capture the audio, another of the programs that comes with dBpowerAMP Music Converter. Subsequently you can use dMC and convert the wav you recorded to whatever format you want, be it mp3 or other.

If you have dBpowerAMP CD Writer, you can burn an audio cd with your real media files, assuming they are all readable by dMC (i.e. you have the codec for them or the directshow filter and a test conversion works fine). But see below.

Before attempting to burn directly I'd convert them all to wav first, since at times real media can be tricky. Even if a test conversion sounds as if it works, it may give highly undesirable results. Then test these wav files and see if they are good. After that you can burn them to audio cd directly either by dCW or any other cd burning program.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 10-06-2005 at 02:39 PM.