title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dMC stops after ripping one file into FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2buzz
    • Aug 2005

Re: dMC stops after ripping one file into FLAC

On Elvis Costello's "Kojak Variety" only tracks 1 & 4 could be tagged.

On Elvis Costello's "Goodby Cruel World" tracks 5, 9, 10, & 11 could not be tagged.

On Elvis Costello's "Mighty Like a Rose" only tracks 1&4 could be tagged.

On Elvis Constello's "Out of Our Idiot" tracks 2, 3, 5, and 6 could not be tagged.

By the way the problem is not limited to Elvis. I just happened to be at this point in the library when I started using dBpowerAmp.

Sometines, at the end of a disc, the recorder will be terminated by Windows XP. The dBPowerAMP main program is not terminated.

If I have dBpowerAMP set to eject after convert, the disc will be ejected each time the tag fails. (can be after each track)

I'm using freedb for the track and title info and XP SP1 on a VAIO laptop.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Hoping to look at this real soon.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• 2buzz
        • Aug 2005

I revisited "Goodby Cruel World" after exiting and restarting dBpowerAMP. This time ripping stopped at the end of track 04 and the tags were corrupt (as judged by my player -- I did not inspect the actual tags).

Due to a slip of the mouse I deleted the whole "Goodby Cruel World" folder.

I used the opportunity to close dBpowerAMP, restart, and re-rip the CD. This pass track 04 was OK, the tags were good, but the ripper terminated after writing only 33K of track 05.

While examining the folder (XP SP1) lots of information is displayed when I drag the cursor over a track (nice feature!!) Information about the file (original size, compression ratio, version, etc. --- and the tags) There were no tags on track 05.

I closed dBpowerAMP, and attempted ripping ONLY track 05 -- Success!
        Without closing the program, ripped ONLY track 06 -- Success.
        Without closing the program, ripped ONLY tracks 07 & 08 -- Success.
        Without closing the program, ripped ONLY track 09 -- Success.
        Without closing the program, ripped ONLY track 10 -- Success.
        Without closing the program, ripped tracks 11, 12, & 13 -- Success.

The player (A SONOS system) also agrees that the CD is OK.

Comment

• 2buzz
          • Aug 2005

MusicConverter.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77f57eb2" referenced memory at "0x0104c44d". The memory could not be "read".

Ever the tinkerer, I kept dBpowerAMP open from my previous test and attempted to re-rip "Kojak Variety". We crashed out after completing track 04, but track 03 was corrupt. We continued by re-trying 3, and 5-15. Everything seemed to go OK untill the last track finished, then the message above was issued. Unfortunately, the tags for tracks 5-15 were corrupt.

Closed dBpowerAMP, restarted and ripped tracks 5-15.
          Track 05 was OK, tags on tracks 6-15 were corrupt and the program crashed after finishing track 15 as above.

Close dBpowerAMP, retry ONLY track 06 -- Success.
          Retry track 07 -- Success.
          Retry tracks 08-15 -- track 08 is OK, 09 - 15 have corrupt tags and track 10 is the temporary file, not the *.flac file (perhaps I had the file temporarily locked when dBpowerAMP attempted to delete the temp file -- I tend to multi-task and sometimes cause XP some grief)
          Close dBpowerAMP, retry tracks 09 -15 --

Family emergency erupts

-- Success

On recap, I missed something -- track 02 is still corrupt.

Any way I must run to clean-up the remains of that emergency. This should give you some data to work with.

Comment

• bbooska
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2003

Well i have had problems with flac files for a long time...but i get no error messages...machine simply locks up...also have had problems with ape also.
            Have tried reinstalling flac and power amp.

My latest go around i was trying to convert multiple files to mp3,from hardrive.and as someone else stated most appeared to have the problem at 99% mark
            I have on ocassion gotten a decompression error from converter with no crash or lock up wich i can live with,but the hard reboots are hard on windoze.

I was able to isolate one particular file which caused a lock up every time i tried converting it....willa ford...I wanna be bad.flac

Would gladly send this file to anyone who would like to try there hand at it

fyi i run windowsXP pro sp2 768mb ddr ram....also i keep my music on a 80gb
            usb drive
            Last edited by bbooska; 08-14-2005, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Have you tried the latest dMC beta and FLAC codec, by chance?

Comment

• bbooska
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jan 2003

flac is 5.1 (1.1.1)
                dmc is 11.5
                and dap is release 3 beta 6

But i have had these problems prior to upgrading dmc and dap

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

that FLAC file isn't 24-bit, by chance, is it? If not, and if none of your other current FLAC files are 24-bit created by dMC, try downloading the latest FLAC codec (5.2 based on 1.1.2).

Comment

• bbooska
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by LtData
                    that FLAC file isn't 24-bit, by chance, is it? If not, and if none of your other current FLAC files are 24-bit created by dMC, try downloading the latest FLAC codec (5.2 based on 1.1.2).
                    It is 16 bit,according to the tag info,all flac files i have were created by dmc.

So whats the difference 16 or 24...this codec is not backward compatible?

if i update the flac codec i will not be able to play or convert my older flac files?

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

As mentioned on the FLAC codec page:
                      Important: If upgrading from R5 of FLAC and you have 24 bit audio encoded FLAC, first convert audio to another lossless format (such as Monkeys Audio ** before installing new FLAC version ** ) then install FLAC update and convert back to FLAC.
                      And here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7656
                      Spoon made a mistake on how 24-bit files were encoded and they were basically coming out in a manner not aligning with the standard way and were unreadable by any other player. That's why I asked the 24-bit question.
                      If your files are all 16-bit, then you'll be fine.

Comment

• LeeC
                        • Jul 2005

What is the outlook on some resolution to the question on converting to FLAC with tags generated? The discussion clearly highlighted that there was something amiss but it sort of petered out after that......

Comment

• xoas
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2002

Lee-
                          As you may be aware, dBpowerAMP has a programming staff of essentially one, Spoon (not to overlook the contributions that Danny has added with QueMaster, the contributions of the variious people who have created skins for the dBpowerAMP Audio Player, and some contributions by other in codecs).

Spoon has indicated in response to the postings reporting this issue with Flac tagging that he considers it a priority.

Best wishes,
                          Bill

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

It is weeks, not months, as said it is a priority.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliAbbe
                              • May 2005

I ran into this and reported it a couple of months ago. I was checking back, hoping that there was an update that would fix it. At the time, I think I sent in some very specific information about where the crash in the convertor was happening.

Don't bother to suggest ripping to another formats first. That just delays the inevitable crash until you try to convert to FLAC from the other format. I have dropped FLAC for now, which is a shame, because I have this very nice SONOS digital player that supports FLAC directly. For now, I am ripping everything in Monkeys (for lossless archinving) and then converting to OGG Vorbis (highest rate) for listening. When FLAC is feeling better, I will convert the Monkeys to that and throw away the OGG Vorbis.

I did locate the source code for FLAC on sourceforge.net, and I may try to build it and track down the crash. Any hints from anyone who has compiled it themselves would be appreciated, like which version of the compiler does it use, which of the many project files (.DSP) should I use, and after building it, how does it integrate into dMC. Can I just copy the .DLL files that it creates?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

It will be dbpoweramp's implementation of it, I have noticed that for Ogg and FLAC dbpoweramp has issues with tags (in the source code it is surrounded by try catches), I have always assumed that the underliing code has issues, but I will test other code which reads and writes flac tags. It is anticipated there is no easy quick fix, but with bugs you can never know, it might even take 1 weeks worth of work.
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>