title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dMC stops after ripping one file into FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeeC
    • Jul 2005

dMC stops after ripping one file into FLAC

Hi - I'm considering converting my CD collection and I've run into a problem in that dMC will hang after converting one or maybe two files at the most; I'm unable to rip an audio CD unless I do it song by song. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling dMC and the results are the same; I've tried using both of my DVD drives and it happens on both; I've tried ripping/encoding vs. ripping/then/encoding and the results are the same; I've cleaned the CDs and the results are the same. dMC stops at the 99% encoding stage - I've not seen it stop at at any other stage. I've got 1GB RAM and 75% of it is free, so I don't believe that it is getting filled. I'm not sure what other steps to take and would appreciate any advise on how to get the program to rip/encode a full CD in one pass. Thanks!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: dMC stops after ripping one file into FLAC

What OS are you using? Does your computer freeze when doing other computer-intensive things, such as gaming or video editing? Have you tried the latest dMC beta (linked below)?

Comment

• LeeC
      • Jul 2005

Hi - I'm running windows XP; I've not had this happen when I run my video editing software and games run very well. The computer continues to operate and I am able to go back right into dMC once I close the error message box. I've seen that dMC creates an error log and I could copy that if it would help (but it appears to be pretty big). I have not installed the beta version but I will look at it.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Can you rip the CD to other formats? Mabye try converting it to the "codec" "Test Conversion (no write)" to make sure dMC can decode the CD.
        Does it do it with all of your CDs or just a few of them?

Comment

• LeeC
          • Jul 2005

I think you've hit on something here; I did the test conversion (no write) on a CD and it worked perfectly. I converted the same CD to OGG Vorbis and that also went without a catch. The same CD stopped after 1 song when converting to FLAC. The FLAC conversion problem has happend on every CD I have tried. I also downloaded the beta version but I am not certain that it installed; I clicked on the file and there was a dialog box that opened but it closed so quickly that I could not read what it said. It seems that the issue is specifically tied into the FLAC conversion process. I really appreciate your time and help on this!!

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Try uninstalling the FLAC codec, downloading a new codec install for it, then installing it again. Does that work?
            As for the beta, it sounds like it didn't install. You didn't have dMC running when you tried to install, did you?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

CD Input >> Options >> and uncheck write ID Tags, it is likely that is crashing it, if it is repeatable please post the exact track details.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LeeC
                • Jul 2005

Success: when I uncheck "write ID Tags" I am able to get the entire audio CD converted to FLAC files in one pass. I tried 5 different CDs one after the other and they all converted perfectly. This solves a major problem but presents me with another, if somewhat less critical, dilemma as I want some basic tag information associated with the FLAC files. I'm setting up the FLAC flies in artist/album directories with the songs numbered and titled but I'm not familiar with how I can assign/edit tag information after the files are created other than by selecting files one at a time.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

You could rip the audio cd first to wav and then use the resulting wav files and convert them to Flac and get the ID tags that way.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Or use the "Tag From Filename" utility codec from Codec Central.
                    And ChristinaS's method will still not give you tags. Mabye try WMA Lossless or Monkey's Audio as the in-between file between the CD and FLAC?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Oh, so you mean conversion to flac never results in tags? I thought just conversion to flac starting from dMC Audio input didn't do it properly.
                      Ok-doki, sorry about that.

Comment

• Wayne
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Aug 2002

Spoon's solution to LeeC's problem involved turning off the creation of tags for FLAC. So he would either have to use the tag from filename codec or use an intermediate lossless format that supports tags to perform the initial rip from the CD.

Wayne

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

Christina: your solution involved converting the CD to WAV first. This results in no tags whatsoever whenever you then convert to FLAC.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

What were the track names and artist and album of one fo the CDs that was crashing?
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LeeC
                              • Jul 2005

Hi - I converted Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" CD to FLAC as a test; the first time I had "write ID tages" enabled and I got the first song converted and then the program stopped during the second song (it appears the problem is when the program goes to write the tag information as it *always* stops at 99%). The second time I unchecked the "write ID tags" and the process went perfectly.

Comment

Working...

]]>