title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

.asx to .mp3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guest1
    • Jul 2005

.asx to .mp3?

I have the URL from the asx file. ( http://198.64.136.24:80/2544.asf ) It won't open in Windows Media Player and I get an error message that reads: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." Is it even possible to convert this? I downloaded dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC), but I don't get what to do next.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: .asx to .mp3?

If WMP can't play the file, you might be out of luck. Can you download the file it links too?

Comment

• Guest1
      • Jul 2005

It just saves as an asx. The only time it works in WMP is when I open the file directly from the site.

Comment

• Guest1
        • Jul 2005

I tried downloading it from the link, and it will open without the error message. There must be something different about the files though. The old one wasn't replaced by the newer one and they have the same name. Everything appears to be the same.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

They have different extensions, that's why the new one didn't overwrite the old one. Try launching the new file, as it should be a .asf file. How big is it?

Comment

• Guest1
            • Jul 2005

It's only 52 bytes (same as the first one). I'm pretty sure it still has the same extension.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Try opening the new file up in Notepad and see where it points to. It sounds like it is still a meta-file.

Edit: moved to dMC Support
              Last edited by LtData; 07-27-2005, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• Guest1
                • Jul 2005

[Reference]
                Ref1=http://198.64.136.24:80/2544.asf

It's still the same I think, but I didn't get the error message. That's confusing. Now that the .asx is working with WMP, am I able to somehow convert it to .asf or another audio file?
                Last edited by Guest1; 07-27-2005, 03:00 AM.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

If the file itself contained video, you might have been able to rename it to .wmv and then have dMC pull out the audio and convert it.
                  However, since it is still a meta-file, you will have to use Auxiliary Input. Instructions below.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

It's an audio file and I can play it in WMP. Probably the user needs to enable proper settings in WMP to play asx files. That's in Tools > Optins > File types and enable .asf .

ASX is a meta file. The uderlying asf file seems to be again a meta file pointing to itself, so you cannot download it using normal means.

Use the SDP program from http://sdp.ppona.com/ and use it to capture this file instead: http://198.64.136.24/2544.asf

Notice it's the url you gave minus the portion :80

This resulted in my being able to actually save the true asf file to my hard disk, which is 118Kb.
                    Last edited by ChristinaS; 07-27-2005, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Guest1
                      • Jul 2005

Thanks for the help, but I'm going to give up on this. The dMC Auxiliary Input keeps crashing when I'm trying to use it, and the program that ChristinaS mentioned won't install because the I'm missing Ntvdm.exe and I don't have the window install cd to install it.

Comment

Working...

]]>