title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD space error, crashing during relisting

CD space error, crashing during relisting

Hi - I'm trying the trial to see if I can easily write mp3 compilations from my large WMA collection. However, on my very first/only disk, after about 100 files, dBACDW reports the CD as *way* oversize, having jumped from about 550 MB full to 1.2 GB full after adding only 2 songs, which are reported as about 7 MB each. If I exit then return to dBACDW, the project is still there with all files, but now the size is reported correctly.

Note also that after adding a couple of files, it will often crash after finishing the conversion to mp3, around the time it is updating the file list. Seems like it could be related to the problem above.

Anyone have any clues on these problems?

Re: CD space error, crashing during relisting

How much ram do you have? temporary disk space?

I have 4 GB free disk, 1 GB RAM. Converting 5 WMAs or making a CD image shouldn't cause problems on this machine. I've done various CD & DVD images without problems.

Is it always teh same files causing problems? Coudl they have different sepcs from the others by any chance?

Have you tried adding the troublesome files first and then the rest?

What are the settings for your conversion to mp3? Are you using anything "as source"?

Trying to establish here if it's the conversion phase or the copying phase that causes trouble.

Administrator

When it goes over the limit, if you look at the listing of files are there duplicates? which disappear when you exit?

How are you adding the wma files to the mp3 cd?

It doesn't seem to be the files, it seems to be the last of groups that are added. All were from source files created exactly the same way: WMP 10 to WMA-lossless, selected in CDW file browser then added with arrow button. And yes, I think upon restart after overage there were sometimes duplicates that then disappeared.

I'd have to guess it's the copying phase.

There should also be a more graceful way of stopping a group and/or playlist converion than killing the entire CDW tree - "Cancel" only works on a per-conversion, so the next one kicks off immediately.

There should also be a more graceful way of stopping a group and/or playlist converion than killing the entire CDW tree - "Cancel" only works on a per-conversion, so the next one kicks off immediately.
    As you may have noticed, there are two windows used for monitoring the progress of conversions in dCW (dBpowerAMP CD Writer). The first monitors the conversion of each track as it is being converted. The other monitors the progress of the full batch of files you are converting at once. To cancel a batch conversion, you need to use this second window. Even then, the cancellation is not instantaneous but it will save you from having to cancel each track individually or waiting out the full batch.
    Or have you tried this and find that it is either not working?

Are you setting up your mp3 compilation using the default setting (artist-track) for your disk or are you using some other file structure protocol (such as setting separate folders for each artist)? Do your tracks feature alternate spellings for a particular artist (such as having some tracks AC/DC and others ac/dc)?

Are your WMA Lossless files 16 bit, 2-channel, 44.1 kHz or are they of a different? If so, how? And (as Christina has asked) what settings are you using for your mp3 files?

If you try to convert an entire cd worth of mp3 files at once, do you still crash?

I ask because I am pursuing a similar problem reported by another user and I am attempting to isolate conditions under which crashes are replicable on a consistent basis. Your input on these questions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
    Bill

I tried both Cancel buttons, but the main (batch) button doesn't click because focus is always on the conversion window and won't go to the other. I try pressing it anyway, and nothing happens at all, whether I click the individual-track conversion Cancel or not.

dB-CDW has been left at all defaults, including track names. All tracks were ripped by me, and all track info came from the online CDDB (?) database. So names are normal and consistent.

WMA Lossless has no options in WMP10. Given that it's lossless, I presume that does indeed mean equivalent to standard CD audio, 16-bit, 2 channel, 44.1 kHz. The MP3 files are whatever CDW has as the default, which looks like 192kbps. I've never changed the settings, and it's converted other files and some groups fine, so I don't think these are problems.

What exactly do you mean by "an entire CD worth of files" at once? Convert a playlist that will give ~700 MB of MP3 files? I just did a 270 MB playlist and it worked perfectly. I think it has to do with the manual addition of files to the project, hence the playlist working fine. However, I think it didn't crash during the first half of that early project, only after about 70 tracks, and the new one is only 69 tracks.

I'd try to replicate the problems more exactly, but the demo period ends tomorrow and I doubt I'll get to any tests before then. Otherwise I'd be glad to try a few tests to help nail down the problem.

(PS - Xoas, I lived in Durham for 7 years & miss the barbecue!)
    Last edited by dhyre; 08-10-2005 at 06:30 PM.

WMA Lossless has no options in WMP10. Given that it's lossless, I presume that does indeed mean equivalent to standard CD audio, 16-bit, 2 channel, 44.1 kHz.
    The dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) has a Windows Lossless Codec that supports 44, 48, 88, and 96 kHz formats, 2 channels or 5:1, and 16 or 24 bits. However, I would have to assume that, not having been given an option, probably your tracks are 2 channel, 16 bits, 44 kHz.

What exactly do you mean by "an entire CD worth of files" at once? Convert a playlist that will give ~700 MB of MP3 files?
    More or less that's what I mean. I have found that crashes do not seem to occur (or at least only very rarely) with very large batches, but with the same group of files if I convert smaller numbers of tracks at a time (ranging from 3 to 15 or 20) then crashes are more likely to occur. This seems paradoxical to me but perhaps it has diagnostic meaning. But if this observation holds true then it also suggests that by converting all the tracks at one time that you may be able to avoid these crashes.

We have had another user report problems with crashes starting also at about 70 tracks. In my case, I usually see them at around 90 tracks but I am still toying around with the sequencing for converting tracks to see if I can determine whether the issue has more to do with individual track and/or tag properties or with the amount of files (or space) already converted to the CD.

I tried both Cancel buttons, but the main (batch) button doesn't click because focus is always on the conversion window and won't go to the other. I try pressing it anyway, and nothing happens at all, whether I click the individual-track conversion Cancel or not.
    The way this seems to work is that if you are converting a batch of tracks in CD Writer, you can cancel the conversion in midstream by clicking on that main button. This will appear to have no effect but the cancelation will take place AFTER the program has finished converting the track it is converting. I did manage to get a quicker cancellation by pushing both buttons but this also caused the program to crash.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

I checked, and clicking the main cancel button causes the button to depress, but nothing happens, ever. It keeps going through more conversions (I don't think I let it go past 10 additional conversions before killing the proc tree, tho).

It shouldn't go through another 10 conversions. What type of system are you running (OS, processor, speed, RAM)?

Puzzling.

Best wishes,
    Bill

WinXP Home SP1a w/patches, AMD Athlon XP1900+, 1 GB SDRAM, 4 GB free HD.

Administrator

Check that the priority is set to below normal (if you have priority because of the power pack).

Priority is indeed below normal.