title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Portable Hardware MP4 Players?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Portable Hardware MP4 Players?

There are many different products available for portable playing of MP3 files.

I've started to create MP4 files using the converter. While I obviously have no problems playing the files on the PeeCee, it dawned on me that I have no clue as to what is available that can play them externally, specifically via a portable device.

Any pointers as to what is available, or should I only create MP3 files?

Re: Portable Hardware MP4 Players?

Wouldn't iPods play those?

I have a Sanyo video camera that works with smart media cards. The videos it takes are mp4 files. It can play them back.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Wouldn't iPods play those?
    That is what I thought too. When I first installed all of the software, I created a MP4 file and gave it to a co-worker who loves his iPod. While he could get it to load into the iPod, it would not show up in the directory listings. So, we don't know if it really loaded (no error messages).

Hence the reason for asking, since the iPod thing doesn't appear to work.

I have a Sanyo video camera that works with smart media cards. The videos it takes are mp4 files. It can play them back.
    I would assume that what it recorded, it could play back. It would seem silly to record in a format that it couldn't play

True, but it can play any mp4 as well, even audio mp4 - at least those I loaded from my pc just for fun.

dMC also can convert those video mp4 (keeping just the audio of course) in the normal manner.

Try changing the extension on the audio file from mp4 to m4a. I remember someone saying this works for getting iTunes to play it, mabye that's what the iPod needs to play it too.

Administrator

The ipod will play .mp4 (but iTunes will not see the file!), a iPod Shuffle will not play .mp4 but only .m4a.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    The ipod will play .mp4 (but iTunes will not see the file!), a iPod Shuffle will not play .mp4 but only .m4a.
    If iTunes won't see the .mp4, how is it uploaded into the iPod?

Is there a third party piece of software for the PeeCee, or Linux, that will upload MP4 files into an iPod?

Will the iPod Shuffle play MP4 files renamed to MPA, or does something have to change in the MP4/MPA header.

Manually uploading, probably.
    You should be able to manually upload the file to the iPod via Windows Explorer.
    All that is different is the extension.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Manually uploading, probably.
    You should be able to manually upload the file to the iPod via Windows Explorer.
    All that is different is the extension.
    OK, thanks. I gather this means that the iPod is a USB connected device and shows up as an HDD.

I'll have the co-worker try it again.

Administrator

Sveta Portable audio can upload .mp4 files to an iPod, although the ipod appears as a drive your audio will not appear on the ipod unless a program adds it to its internal database.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sveta Portable audio can upload .mp4 files to an iPod, although the ipod appears as a drive your audio will not appear on the ipod unless a program adds it to its internal database.
    We discovered that. Because he forgot to take the CD home that I cut, he brought the iPod to work. He did not know the structure of his iPod, he only just used the thing. After seeing what was there and the fact that it wouldn't see the file we loaded, I figured that any file loaded into the iPod to be played needed to be "entered" into the system.

OK, other than iTunes, is there a third-party piece of software that can manipulate the iPod's database?

BTW, we had no problem getting the file into the iPod. The Explorer file manager had no problem doing that for us.

Administrator

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks.

Looks like this thread has turned into a support thread. Didn't mean it to do that. Never paid much attention to Sveta. Wasn't thinking about portable players until late Thursday night

After going over and looking at the product link for Sveta, I feel kinda silly.

What does Sveta mean?
    Last edited by MrVideo; 07-16-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Administrator

Just the name of the product, that link is to the latest beta version (which is much better than the one on the main dbpoweramp.com page).