title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

alt-standard - changed in release 11?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steerpike
    • Jul 2005

alt-standard - changed in release 11?

Did the alt-standard preset intentionally change between release 9 and 11 - presumably, the question really is, did alt-standard change between lame release 3.92 and 3.96?

I converted a CD to MP3 using alt-standard, using DMC 9 (lame 3.92) and the resulting files were 48.5 Meg. I just re-converted using DMC 11 (lame 3.96) and the resulting files were 54.8 Meg. The average bitrates for the old alt-standard ranged from 143 to 166 kbps. With the new alt-standard, bitrates ranged from 161 to 196 kbps. I confirmed this with less scientific tests on other files. It's as if they 'upped the quality level' for alt-standard. Does this make sense?

Interestingly, I used 'alt-medium' (via the command line) with 3.96 and got near-identical results to the old 'alt-standard' (in file size/bitrates).
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: alt-standard - changed in release 11?

Good eyes!

Yes it does appear that VBR presets were modified with Lame 3.95. See this thread here:

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>