title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

help! mp3 doesnt play in WMP, cannot be converted by dbpowerAMP

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perko87
    • Jun 2005

help! mp3 doesnt play in WMP, cannot be converted by dbpowerAMP

hi there
    i have a bunch of mp3 files that cannot be played by WMP (error: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found.) i have tried to convert the files using powerAMP with the error: "The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\\\01 I Like the Way.mp3' could not be opened."

size is 4.64mb, the mp3 tag indicates NO length :(
    i dont know much more apart from converting files that can be converted lol

i have WMP 10 and heaps of codecs installed so i dont that is the issue however it might be. ive tried playing the file with winamp (crashed), itunes (didnt even recognise a file).

PLEASE HELP :D

-perko

ps: sorry if i opened a thread that has already been covered...i searched for 30mins anc couldnt find a similar case..
    Last edited by perko87; 06-21-2005, 10:32 AM.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: help! mp3 doesnt play in WMP, cannot be converted by dbpowerAMP

What is the bitrate, frequency, and channels of this file? Can you convert this file to something else with dMC?

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Would be interesting to know what program created this file.

Oh, and if it's something you donwloaded from someplace like Kazaa it's highly probable it's corrupted or worse, infected with a virus.

I'd open the file in Notepad and see the header. It may give a clue.

Comment

• perko87
        • Jun 2005

bitrate = 0kbps (WTF) thats what it says in the explorer/details subsection thingy...i cannot find the frequency or the channels either. i downloaded this as a torrent file from a reliable source and i opened it with notepad..nothing there i scanned it for viruses...nothing either

i have had this problem before but normally u can just open it with dbpowerAMP and re-convert it and its all sweet but i cant convert it to mp3, wma, wav, monkeys audio, CLI, ogg...really weird. and i cant do the recording through the sound card because i cant play it...

any ideas? im not 100% sure if i can find the channels etc another way but if i can please tell me and i will be sure to get back here with the reply ASAP

-perko

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Have you tried the latest dMC beta linked below? It has an updated mp3 decoder.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

You see noting when you open in Notepad? it should show some readable stuff in the first few lines of unreadable gibberish.

Copy and paste a few lines here.

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

If you can't, it's possibly a corrupt file; have you tried renaming to a different file extension? Where did this file originate from?

Comment

• perko87
                • Jun 2005

there is nothing in notepad about 5000000 pages of blank-ness...
                is it possible to change the filename in XP?? i didnt know u could do that i thought it was obsoleted lol oh dear me i do to much word processing

currently downloading the beta version of DBP....

no luck there i couldnt play it...no posible conversion. i think they might be fake's or something...i downloaded the torrent through ISO hunt...never had a problem with them before...any suggestions?

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

If you open the file and it is just blank, your file is corrupt/blank. Try downloading another copy of the file.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by perko87
                    there is nothing in notepad about 5000000 pages of blank-ness...
                    is it possible to change the filename in XP?? i didnt know u could do that i thought it was obsoleted lol oh dear me i do to much word processing
                    Open up any folder, click "Folder Options", hit the View tab, scroll down and find "Hide Extensions for Known File Types." Uncheck that.
                    Attached is a screenshot, it may aid you in fixing the rename feature of WinXP.

(Spoon: Is this bandwidth friendly for you?)

Originally posted by perko87
                    currently downloading the beta version of DBP....
                    dBpowerAMP Audio Player, or dBpowerAMP Music Converter?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

The file is a dud. Better luck next time.

To rename a file you navigate to the folder where you have it in Windows Explorer, right click the file name and use Rename - then type in a new name with a new extension.

dMC also has a pseudo-codec for changing audio file extensions - to be used only when you know what you're doing and why.

But this will not fix the problem you have which is a corrupt file, a file of blanks, anything but audio data.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                        (Spoon: Is this bandwidth friendly for you?)
                        The dbpoweramp domain doesn't even look like it's hosting the image, so there wouldn't be any bandwidth worries for Spoon. Unless we're talking about him being mobile with a horribly sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwww connection. :cry:

Other than that youve got a 152x130px image actually showing, which is uber-negligible. Or have I misunderstood the question?

Comment

Working...

]]>