title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing "SampleGrabber"

Re: Missing "SampleGrabber"

Elbee,
    Try running dxdiag now and see if it shows any errors in the Sound tab. You might need to update your soundcard drivers, though.

Ran the dxdiag and there is no error on the soumd tab. Ran DirectSound test and that was clean.

Elbee

Does anyone have any other suggestions to help me get around this SampleGrabber problem. It's soooo close! Thanks

Missing "SampleGrabber" - solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Elbee
    Does anyone have any other suggestions to help me get around this SampleGrabber problem. It's soooo close! Thanks
    I am having exactly the same problem!

Windows XP SP2 on a Thinkpad X30.

I have installed Real Alternative with the DirectShow Splitter. I can play ra and rm files through Windows Media Player. I have also installed the directshow codec, edited the configuration file and rerun the dmc configuration utility.

When I try to convert any realaudio file saved on my computer, I get this message:

The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio Downloads\riot_never_was.ra' could not be opened.
    Unable to insert SampleGrabber.

I don't know what Sample Grabber is, but I'm guessing that it relates to a Directshow filter that I don't have on my computer, but that the dmc codec is trying to load when it constructs the filter graph. I think I need to find a binary of the Sample Grabber filter, and install it to my system somehow, but it isn't a standard part of DirectX. MSDN says:

New samples for DirectX 8.1 include:

Audio Capture (Capture/AudioCap)
    DMO-enabled Player (Players/PlayDMO)
    DMO Enumerator (Misc/DMOEnum)
    Filter Mapper (Misc/Mapper)
    Sample Grabber Filter (Filters/Grabber) (modified from DX8 version)
    and

Modified SampleGrabber Filter Source Code
    There have been several requests for Microsoft to publish the source code for the popular SampleGrabber filter. To that end, we now provide a modified (simpler) version of the sample grabber filter, which uses a new GUID and new CLSID to prevent collisions with the original DirectX 8.0 filter. You can review and modify the source code for this filter and use it in your own applications. See the Filters/Grabber directory for more information.
    Update: :smile2:

Sample Grabber is part of DirectX 9, which I had installed (as part of SP2). Graphedit showed my that the filter was apparently not present. A little searching on MSDN showed me that the filter is part of windows\system32\qedit.dll.

So I did:
    regsvr32 /u windows\system32\qedit.dll
    regsvr32 windows\system32\qedit.dll

and hey, it all works now.

Mark
    Last edited by FriedEggs; 06-27-2005 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Talking rubbish, now solved it

Wow! Good job! I think this post should go into the FAQ and this thread become a sticky.

Hello guys,

I've followed this thread, as I'm trying to solve the same problem on a Windows XP SP2 PC as well.

I've faithfully followed instructions all along, and even tried uninstalling\reinstalling\rebooting when it came to using real alternative.

The real audio files play fine, but I get the same SampleGrabber message here.

I've followed the instructions regarding resitering \ unregistering the .dll file above (and the messages saying it's done it successfully show up) yet I still get the "The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio\Filename.ra' could not be opened. Unable to insert SampleGrabber" message.

DBC loads the file, the percentage bar goes across, and then it just gives up with that message.

Any more tips?

Did you try running the command FriedEggs mentioned above?
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedEggs

I've had every single problem listed before on this thread. I'm not so up on the comp. lingo. It seems like the solution FriedEggs provided works, but I don't exactly know how one would do: regsvr32 /u windows\system32\qedit.dll
    regsvr32 windows\system32\qedit.dll. It doesn't make any sense to me. Is it something that is part of the registry or directX? I'm so confused. Please HELP!!

Click your start button, click run, and putt hsoe lines in the run box one at a time. Note that you should put C:\windows not just windows.

i tried to run those lines but i get either an error message that the file was not found or an error message that says it refers to a location that is unavailable. then it goes on to suggest other places it could be, i.e. hard disk, network, or it might've been moved. I'm able to get a response if i execute windows\system32\qedit.dll, but then i get this "you are attempting to open a file of type 'application extention.' What's my next move?

OK, take the location of qedit.dll (by default C:\windows\system32\qedit.dll) and put it after the "regsvr32 /u" then after the dialog box pops up put it after just "regsvr32". It sounds like your qedit.dll is in a different location or something else is wrong.

I quit using Real Alternative because it would not open some real files.
    I have Realplayer Enterprise installed.

It seems absurd that Real Alternative must be installed.
    I tried the Directshow codec and config anyway, carefully following all directions.
    It does not work, as I expected. DMC does not even see the rm files.

You need Real Alternative, as it installs a RealMedia DirectShow Splitter. Try the stand-alone splitter. It should work with RealPlayer: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=87719

Thanks for the info, LtData.
    I will try it.

Re: Missing "SampleGrabber" - solution!

Nice post. But you might find when you search for the file in question, qedit.dll, in your system32 folder, the thing isn't there. That's what I found. The solution is that you need to get a copy of the file and put it in the folder in question. Here's a link http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-.../download.html

Download the file and put it into the system32 folder, then run the commands in the post below on the file. Of course all of this is assuming that you've got the directshow decoder correctly installed. I found that the list of extensions is so long in the directshow.txt file that it blocks out the real media files in the list that I see in the dbpoweramp configuration window, but they're there. find the text file in the directory c:\documents and settings\insert your login name here\application data\dbpoweramp\directshow.txt . The way you do it is to install "real alternative". I didn't install the player just the directshow part of it. You can have realplayer installed and the directshow filter from real alternative, but notice if you just have realplayer and not the directshow filter from real alternative installed you will only get real time decoding, which sucks. Notice that you can directly edit the directshow.txt file and put the extensions on a separate line. It's easier to just delete the file and let the system regenerate it, if you don't find the extensions in there you were expecting. One last thing... when you run the commands listed below on the qedit.dll file you have to put c:\ in from of the windows directory, as someone else pointed out! Good luck.

PD

Quote Originally Posted by FriedEggs
    I am having exactly the same problem!

Windows XP SP2 on a Thinkpad X30.

I have installed Real Alternative with the DirectShow Splitter. I can play ra and rm files through Windows Media Player. I have also installed the directshow codec, edited the configuration file and rerun the dmc configuration utility.

When I try to convert any realaudio file saved on my computer, I get this message:

The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio Downloads\riot_never_was.ra' could not be opened.
    Unable to insert SampleGrabber.

I don't know what Sample Grabber is, but I'm guessing that it relates to a Directshow filter that I don't have on my computer, but that the dmc codec is trying to load when it constructs the filter graph. I think I need to find a binary of the Sample Grabber filter, and install it to my system somehow, but it isn't a standard part of DirectX. MSDN says:

and

Update: :smile2:

Sample Grabber is part of DirectX 9, which I had installed (as part of SP2). Graphedit showed my that the filter was apparently not present. A little searching on MSDN showed me that the filter is part of windows\system32\qedit.dll.

So I did:

and hey, it all works now.

Mark