title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing "SampleGrabber"

Missing "SampleGrabber"

I just installed dbPowerAmp and am trying to convert .ra and .rm files. I installed the codecs that were recommended. I now get the following message when beginning the file convert process: "The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\Audio\filename.ra' could not be opened.
    Unable to insert SampleGrabber."
    :cry:

Can someone tell me where to find this "SampleGrabber"? :smile2: Thanks!

Re: Missing "SampleGrabber"

Did you install the DirectShow Codec and follow these instructions:
    Real Audio: Download 'Real Alternative' from http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1054136293/1 (or search in Google for Real Alternative) add .ra .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb all on separate lines to Configure DirectShow Decoder

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I installed Real Alternative 1.39 and updated the DirectShow Decoder with .ra and .rm.

Check dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) and see if it shows .ra, .rm, and the other formats.

Don't forget to reboot.

I did reboot. The .ra, .rm, .ram do not show up in the dMC Configuration. They are in the DirectShow Decoder Config, "DSEext.txt". I still get the "Unable to insert SampleGrabber" message. As a test, I inputted into the decoder an MP3 file and that converted fine to a cda.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Do you have the DS Codec installed to the same folder as the music converter? Did you put ".ra .rm .ram" on separate lines, as it says? If they don't show up in dMC Configuration, it is not set up properly.

In the DMC Configuration, I now see .ra, .rm, .ram, and .rpm listed opposite "DirectShow Decoder" under the "Installed Input Codecs (Read)" section. But I still get the missing SampleGrabber message. All the programs installed in the Program Files folder- Illustrate- dbpowerAMP- and sub-folders under that. The DSExt.txt file is in the DirectShow folder, under Input, under Multiplayer.

It all seems to be there, except the .ra and .rm conversions are not working.

Thanks for the responses.

Can you play the .ra or .rm files in a media player? How big are these files?

I'm starting to think you have some other program interfering with things.

For one thing I have no idea what SampleGrabber is. I have no such progam myself anywhere. While thsi may not be too much of a reference in itself, it may be an indication of some software conflict.

Might have found something:
    What version of Windows are you running?
    Try this: Start --> Run --> dxdiag
    When it asks to check for WHQL certificates, click yes. Click on the "sound" tab and see if there are any yellow alert icons in the right-right column.

Ok, just found reference to this SampleGrabber in conjunction with DirectX ... I seem to actually have it - though it's not in the form of a separate program or file with that name.....

Thanks for the responses. I'll take the questions in sequence:

-I was able to play .ra and .rm files through Windows Media Player until now. I suspect something in the install, probably of Real Alternative is causing this. The error that I get when I attempt to play one of these now is "The MPLAYERC.EXE file is linked to missing export DDTRAW.DLL:DirectDrawCreateEx." Then I get a separate message: "A device attached to the system is not functioning."

-The files range in size from 330K to 600K.

-I'm running Windows 98.

-I do not have "dxdiag" on my system.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

I have an update to the previous message. When I start Windows Media Player and then open one of the .ra or .rm files, they play fine. It's only when I try to open the .ra or .rm file directly through Explorer that the error occurs. So something in the Windows association for .ra and .rm got mucked.

Hold shift and right-click on your .ra files, go to Open With. There, select "Windows Media Player", check the box saying "Always use this program" or something along those lines and click OK. This file-type should now always open with WMP. Do the same for your .rm files.

Have you tried reinstalling Real Alternative? You don't have Real Player itself installed, do you?