title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drive is not ready, Disk not written

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Drive is not ready, Disk not written

Wait, what data mediums are you using? CD-RWs, or CD-R's? What brand?

Quote Originally Posted by hickory1967
    Yes I get to that point.
    What I have is like the picture on the right, with my drive correctly identified.
    When I click burn it gives a progress window, the drive spins up, and after 3 seconds I get the error message.
    From that point the drive seems hung, and I must restart to get the drive to eject the unburned cd.

Thanks!
    I would try one other thing, though that's part of dMC Audio CD Input, but it may solve this problem too.

Start dMC AUdio CD Input, click the big Options button, check that you have to proper drive selected there and click Advaced. Look at CD Communication and maybe change it to something else. Test the new setting by inserting a cd and trying to see if it reads it.

Another thing is you may want to try a fresh blank cd, as sometimes it may appear that nothing was written on it but it might have started writing to it, which will make it unusable thereafter.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 06-04-2005 at 01:11 AM.

Administrator

Is it the only cd drive on the system? how does it connect? as a slave drive?

Neil, I have used other software with this new drive and had 100% success. I'll look at some other blanks and give them a shot. Thanks!

Christinas, I looked at those settings....I'll give that a shot but I don't know what they do, I'll do some research on it. My current settings are..Cd Communication ASPI and Command set MMC, does that match yours? I'll try some new settings and get back on Sunday with results.
    For each attempt I have used a new blank cd, I have quite a stack of the ones I have tried. For what its worth I used one of the attempted discs in Easy Cd to make sure it could be written and was successful. Thanks!

Spoon, Thanks for jumping in. It is the only optical drive and it's on its own IDE channel, that is channel Two. It is set as Master/Single Drive. Channel One, Three and Four are all HDD and I reviewed my jumper settings and they appear correct. The previous CD-RW Drive shared that channel with a DVD-RW and both are now gone. No changes were made to any other hardware during that swap. I have reviewed Bios also. No Overclocking. I have done alot of searching and found that Plextor has had problems writing with this drive BUT the revision levels in question are at 4.0, the newest flash was 7.0 and I could find nothing above 4.0 criticizing the drive. The problems mentioned were not tied to one software product or another, it was an across the board problem and was (I think) more likely related to Mobo/Chipset. (Via KT400 here for what thats worth)

I may post in other discussions tonight to fish for current Plextor PX 716A users and direct them to this thread.

Spoon I am ready to return the drive and try another, what a let-down this high $$ Plextor has been. I am a long-time user and you are, hands down, Da Man.

The setting that works for me is SCSI Driect Pass Through . Windows Internal Limited also works. ASPI doesn't work. My drives are an LG CD burner and a Liteon DVD burner. Same settingss work for both.

Note that if you are not using dMC Release 11.1 Release Candidate 1 (linked below), these settings will be called something along the lines of "2000/NT Communication" and "2000/NT Build-In (Limited)".

Administrator

CD burning will not use any settings from Audio CD input. It is strange...there are other programs running in the background which might be jumping in on the cd writer, windows has its own cd writer and itunes has a cd writer - both of these are services in XP and can be safely disabled (if you know what you are doing).

dBpoweramp Guru

Wait, Spoon, do you mean through Task Manager?

Probably not. The Windows CD recording disabling is done in the Service Control applet. I don't know about iTunes, but I don't htink it involves the Task Manager.

IMAPI Cd-Burning COM service was set to manual. I tried Automatic and disabled. I noticed that the dbPoweramp CD writer did not depend on this service.
    I have disabled several un-needed services to maximize efficiency, too many to list. I know just enough to be dangerous. I have had my current services settings for a long time and burned with the old drive using dbpoweramp CD Writer.
    I keep a pretty tight grip on what loads at startup, and I reviewed what processes were running after startup. There are no unrecognized processes running, and nothing to do with cd/dvd authoring.

Looks like the drive is the culprit to me. I'll let you know if swapping again makes any difference.

Thanks!

Just got back from Best Buy, Swapped Plextor for Sony DRU-720A.
    Works perfectly. No other changes made to any settings or software.
    Got $10.00 back and a $30.00 rebate slip to boot.
    So much for dreaming about a plextor for years...

Thank you all for trying to help me. One of the best things about the dBpowerAMP suite of software is this forum and its members. No burner, or punk at best buy ("You have to use the software that came with it"), is going to keep me from using the best music software in the world.

Sidenote-ive had 2 px-716a go bad within a few weeks of purchase,run the self test to be certain the 716 is working properly.