title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: opera8 now released

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: opera8 now released

wow that does represent some serious browser competition.

i have tried out the IE beta tab browsing and its not bad. although it is slow getting out the final product.

nice...
    as for me the few ads on the top were easy to accept, now even better...
    they should now be even more "on the level" with the others... lately I've seen a lot of good reviews in magazines, choosing Opera the best experience...

oh and about the standards I wish I could fix this problem on my site... it is css 2.1 but nor IE nor Firefox support it, just mi' faithfull Opera... it is about text word wraping... look here

http://quemaster.com/lyrics/artist_p...p?artist=Queen

dBpoweramp Guru

can you show us the innards of your "stylefile.css" file? i assume this is where your css is?

dBpoweramp Guru

is this the part we look at?

Code:
    body { background: *000099 url(images/siteback.jpg) repeat fixed left top; color: *00eeff; font-family: Arial}
    shouldnt there be a "}" the next line down? or doesnt it matter where the bracket goes? and there is no ";" after the word arial. but i'm no good at this anyway.
    this is how i thought it would look

Code:
    body { background: *000099 url(images/siteback.jpg) repeat fixed left top; color: *00eeff; font-family: Arial;
    }
    Last edited by Razgo; 09-20-2005 at 06:17 PM.

Donny, take a look at the html validation errors you have:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...artist%3DQueen

and the css errors: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...artist%3DQueen

Your closing </pre> tag is way down, probably not where you want it at all, and quite likely one of the causes of your horizontal scroll.

Why would you even want to palce that text inside <pre> ... </pre> tags?

Opera is being forgiving, that's all. :p
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 09-20-2005 at 07:00 PM.

well ok I didn't mean to say that the page is fully css written, more that I used the

white-space: pre-wrap;

option that is in the css 2.1 standard, but only Opera as it seems supports it. Though Maybe I did mess something up with the tags...

and many of those css errors are because of the code I got for the tool tips for example... I should go through it probably...

and for the html errors I think many are because of the generated code like links with "?artist=Freddie%20Mercury"... didn't payed attention to that part... as far as I've seen I should "define" these "entities"

and I'm using pre tags because the pages are genrated and I used the simplest way to convert plain text to a wraping text. If i try to put it in a p tag then it will all be one hell of a long paragraph... then I found the mentioned tag in css2.1 and I though I could use it... To my misfortune I didn't test it too much before publishing... now I'm tring to find a permanent solution instead of patching a hundred times...
    Last edited by donny; 09-21-2005 at 03:53 PM.

and about the css code:
    as far as I know the bracet can should be after the attributes, no matter if it's on the same line or on the next... it is just neat programing to put it on the next line...

and there is no need for a ";" after the final attribute in the {}

dBpoweramp Guru

and there is no need for a ";" after the final attribute in the {}
    yes but this ";" is before the final } isn't it?

All attributes have to be separated by ; inside a pair of {}. The final ; before the closing } is optional.

Typically in both the html validator and the css validator there may be one initial error that throws the whole thing out of whack, thus generating tons more. Fix the first one and you'll get rid of many others.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 09-21-2005 at 11:07 PM.