title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

opera8 now released

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

opera8 now released

they are very busy http://www.opera.com/
    download.com recorded over 4 million in just a few hours by the look of it.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: opera8 now released

I've heard good things about Opera, but personally I use Firefox. The idea of paying for a browser isn't my cup of tea.
    Edit: and an ad-supported version isn't either.

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

the text adds are hardly noticible. and i got tired of firefox slowing down. opera has come a long way.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Ehh, I may try it, but I'm also really stubborn. :P

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

scroll down about halfway to see the comparison firefoxvs opera http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/opera/firefox/

generally speaking firefox used to run fast but the restore after being minimized is painfully slow. i am only running a P3 900hz IBM notebook but i would expect better performance from firefox. even IE6 runs better.

i used to think firefox was a lean/cut browser but i am not so sure now. anyhow i was in the hunt for a better email client also as thunderbird is starting to run slow as well. in fact i only have approx 50 thousand emails in my thunderbird email client. i used to use "the bat!" email client but even it would start to bog down when reaching 120,000 emails.

so why would opera be any better? well they only use one database which means in theory it should run a lot more efficiantly, as it is only accessing the same database all the time and distributing content pretty much in the way a cms system would work.

i don't have any final conclusions because i have only been testing the last couple of days. i have use opera on and off over the past but this time i think they have acheived some significants moves forward compared to other browser suits. but then again there are too manu out there to try and compare.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

> over 4 million in just a few hours by the look of it

Dont they remember the last count for previous version?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Well, as has been my unfrotunate experience lately Opera comes with its own set of bugs - sorry, features.

One has to code a web page differently just to satisfy Opera. Oh, it's the same for Fierfox and Netscape, only a different set of "features" cause premature greying of hair and rapid hairloss through pulling it out in handfulls :D

All the browsers do an ok job with vanilla code. The minute you want to do something a bit out of the ordinary, one or the other or all (except for IE) crap out in one way or another.

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

> over 4 million in just a few hours by the look of it

Dont they remember the last count for previous version?
                yes your right, i forgot about that.

Comment

• ShaneR
                  • Apr 2004

I've been an Opera user for a few years now. Love it .

I've tried firefox, and it is certainly a good browser. It's just that opera works exactly the way I want it straigt out of the box...not extensions to download etc. But, more than anything, opera's way of doing things is just comfy for me (And I love the way the mail client works).

As for needing to code pages differently for opera (and take this comment with a grain of salt...I wouldn't no HTML if it bit my BUTT) I was always under the impression if all webdesigners, borwers etc use a "standard" for coding, things would be cool. But, that could just the influence of Opera, they're pretty big on "opening the web". I certainly HATE it when I need to open to firefox to load a page that didn't work in opera for no other reason than the site seeing opera and redirecting to secondary code for the site.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ShaneR
                    I've been an Opera user for a few years now. Love it .

I've tried firefox, and it is certainly a good browser. It's just that opera works exactly the way I want it straigt out of the box...not extensions to download etc. But, more than anything, opera's way of doing things is just comfy for me (And I love the way the mail client works).

As for needing to code pages differently for opera (and take this comment with a grain of salt...I wouldn't no HTML if it bit my BUTT) I was always under the impression if all webdesigners, borwers etc use a "standard" for coding, things would be cool. But, that could just the influence of Opera, they're pretty big on "opening the web". I certainly HATE it when I need to open to firefox to load a page that didn't work in opera for no other reason than the site seeing opera and redirecting to secondary code for the site.
                    No two browsers interpret the standards in the same way, that's the problem.

But what they all have in common is that they have ganged up against Microsoft and IE and have made it a point to redefine their own standards that exclude the way IE does and has been doing things for ages, before some of the other browsers even existed.

Adding new features should not take away from supporting others.

I am not a happy camper right now when I have to program my way around all the different quirks of all the damn browsers, each of which claims to respect some standards - but which they interpret differently.

And when they have opted to use a different way to support certain things (e.g. embedded media files) they have declared the original way deprecated and have not bothered to provide for it being supported. IE supports all the variations, old and new.

The worst thing is when they respond to things differently though. If I define a margin for instance or a position on a page by giving absolute coordinates I damn well intend for the damn browser to place things right there on the screen, not 10 pixels to the right or above or to the left. Well, this is what happens with these browsers in many instances. They define the screen area differently. For some it includes the scrollbars or doesn't. For some there's an automatic padding added to the top or sides, and it's either included or not in the pixel addressing. A major headache to satisfy all of them with one command. The only time you get anything working in all of them (not looking exactly the same but at least working) is when you have a vanilla flavored design, with nothing really fancy in the least. To achieve anything else, you must jump hoops all around the "features" and quirks.

Phew, I said my piece :D

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

and Microsoft have been shown to go out and try to break HTML standards.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
                        and Microsoft have been shown to go out and try to break HTML standards.
                        Newly made ones? I don't think so unless they clash with old ones - which is poor planning on the part of w3c. MS will maintain the old ones when the mighty w3c have dictated they shall be deprecated.

Comment

• ShaneR
                          • Apr 2004

Well, Christina, In just a few paagraphs, you have me not wanting to learn! LOL :D

But, what you say makes sense.

I learned something new

(On a side note, despite my above post, I really do know the english language..lol :o )

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ShaneR
                            Well, Christina, In just a few paagraphs, you have me not wanting to learn! LOL :D

But, what you say makes sense.

I learned something new

(On a side note, despite my above post, I really do know the english language..lol :o )
                            Some people, like myself, suffer from a benign but annoying disease called typonitis: a condition in which they make persistent whopper typos which they only notice after hitting enter :D

PS: A spellcheker only works if you use it and who uses it for 2 lines of text? :p
                            Last edited by ChristinaS; 04-20-2005, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Razgo
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

PS: A spellcheker only works if you use it and who uses it for 2 lines of text?
                              me :D

Comment

Working...

]]>