title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP3 IDtag play length is different from that shown by Windows Media Player

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivy
    • Apr 2005

MP3 IDtag play length is different from that shown by Windows Media Player

Hello,
    I have an MP3 file created by dMC (ripped from audio CD) that show the correct length in the ITtag properties (1:11) but when played on windows media player it is shown as 0:56.

The curious thing is that is plays normally (to the end) but the time just stays on 0:56 even though it continues to play until the 1:11 has expired.

WMP plays other MP3s and display their times correctly.
    I have tried to rip the same file using an different ripper and it seems fine.

So it seems like it something in dMC - but I cannot see what I am doing wrong

I like dMC (and it free ;-) ) so would like to figure out what the problem might be.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks,
    Ivan
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: MP3 IDtag play length is different from that shown by Windows Media Player

Are your files VBR? WMP may be determining the file length from the file size and miscalculating.

Comment

• ivy
      • Apr 2005

Yes they are!? I will try CBR and see if it helps..

Is there a knopw problem wit WMP and VBR? Is there anything more I can read up on any WMP issues and any problmes.

I tried searching the MS web site but even the 'Knowledge Base' did not come up with anything substantive.
      It is just me or are the MS answers getting more and more 'dumbed down' - in case they scare the poor user with a _technical_ response - no doubt ;-(

Cheers
      Ivan
      PS: A response in <30min - wow! Thanks!

Comment

• ivy
        • Apr 2005

CBR Fixed it!
        Now to find WHY.
        Thank You Very Much Lt. Data!
        Ivan

Comment

• Tomb
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by ivy
          CBR Fixed it!
          Now to find WHY.
          Thank You Very Much Lt. Data!
          Ivan
          Because Windows Media Player cannot handle vbr files correctly. This has been documented before. I will see if I still have the links.

There was nothing wrong with your mp3 file.

Suggest you use Foobar or Winamp to playback your files instead.

XP N is now shipping in Europe. No Windows Media Player bundled with this version!
          Last edited by Tomb; 04-18-2005, 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

WMP 9 (and presumably 10) handles VBR just fine for Windows Media formats.

But it also handles Lame VBR mp3's fine it seems, from my little test. My mp3 file was encoded from the original wav. The length is good, the audio quality is good too.

Maybe some patch to WMP ws not applied? by those who have problems with it?

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

Microsoft will not solve its own problems. Nullsoft, the creators of Winamp, provides a pro update ever so often, so that's why you/I/everyone should convert to Winamp.

Comment

• Tomb
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                Microsoft will not solve its own problems. Nullsoft, the creators of Winamp, provides a pro update ever so often, so that's why you/I/everyone should convert to Winamp.
                That's if it still will be developed. Didn't the last version have "this Is the last version of Winamp" produced by Nullsoft in the credits. I think all of the Nullsoft people have left leaving AOL emplyees working on fixes. I doubt AOL will let Winamp die though!

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                Maybe some patch to WMP ws not applied? by those who have problems with it?
                I have XP with SP2 and fully updated and Windows Media Player 10 still has problem reading some of the vbr track lengths properly. Not that this is an issue with me as I even use Foobar to play with very few WMA files, and non DRM, I have.

Comment

• Razgo
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

does this thread have anything to do with dmc?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                    Nullsoft is no more, Neil! Ddidn't you know that?

But seriously I have no problem at all with WMP and WMP is my default player for all the types it can play.

I gear all my conversions towards Windows Media especially, for web applications, and have not had a single problem yet.

Comment

• Razgo
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

i will move all off topic threads to the off topic forums.

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Nullsoft IS still in existance. Yes, most of the original employees left. They still have a staff and are still working on Winamp. See a list of the team here: http://www.winamp.com/about/team.php

Comment

• neilthecellist
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2004

Yes yes, the team.

here's the general summary: the popup info display for dMC, dAP, Winamp, and NOW, Windows Media Player can all display VBR time durations correctly. I don't understand why before it didn't work.

Comment

Working...

]]>