title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: codec for .la files

codec for .la files

I found out about this codec at free-codecs.com. I tested it and it compresses twice as well as monkey's audio. I got a file down to 50% compared to monkey's audio 25%. Their homepage is http://lossless-audio.com
    This would be a great addition to codec central.
    Last edited by Link500X; 04-16-2005 at 02:14 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: codec for .la files

More on comparisions between lossless formats here.. You can use the codec with the generic CLI codec.

I find it resource hungry when decoding and sometimes when encoding.

It also takes a good while to encode and decode a file. I'll stick with Monkey's.

dBpoweramp Guru

Notice how LA isn't compared to Monkey's Audio on the LA homepage! http://www.lossless-audio.com/comparison.htm

Mac = Monkey's Audio, neil. They are compared to each other. Mouse over "Mac" and notice it points to the Monkey's Audio homepage.

dBpoweramp Guru

oops. me stupid. (runs away and abandons thread)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

He doesn't compare against True Audio Lossless Codec which would have been interesting. This one encodes very fast indeed.

dBpoweramp Guru

What if s/he didn't know True Audio Lossless Codec existed? ^_^

Well, if True Audio Lossless Codec is faster than LA, maybe Spoon should consider creating a TA codec for dMC.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I am sure the developer knows that TTA exists as he and the TTA developers are both Hydrogen Audio members. Putting that aside I notice that the last release of Lossless Audio was in early 2004 - TTA first appeared around that time. Maybe Lossless Audio isn't being developed anymore?

Whilst the codecs in codec central are excellent for those who do not like command lines Spoon does not really need to create a codec for it. Just use the generic CLI Codec and use the command lines available via the command prompt or the codec's website.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb
    I am sure the developer knows that TTA exists as he and the TTA developers are both Hydrogen Audio members. Putting that aside I notice that the last release of Lossless Audio was in early 2004 - TTA first appeared around that time. Maybe Lossless Audio isn't being developed anymore?

Whilst the codecs in codec central are excellent for those who do not like command lines Spoon does not really need to create a codec for it. Just use the generic CLI Codec and use the command lines available via the command prompt or the codec's website.
    Speaking of command line procedures, I've always asked on how to use the command lines to convert audio. So far, I can't even convert mp3 using the LAME command lines........(I dunno if I'm making sense, I have no experience with command prompt)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Command lines using Dbpoweramp or just using the command line to convert one or more wav files without the converter?

If you open any codec using the command prompt you will find the help file. For example opening the command prompt and then typing C:\your directory\lame.exe (or other codec) will open up the basic help with some having instructions on how to delve further. Examples on the codec useage are generally given as well. Have a read then give it a try - you could experiment using lame via the generic CLI codec for starters.

when i encode my audio to lossless, its SPECIFICALLY for archiving, i dont really care how long it takes to encode a cd to whatever lossless format...and ive been using .la for a little bit now, it happens to compress the best *though admittidly it does take a while* personally, id still be interested if a plugin specifically for .la was made........

As I said, you can get the "Generic CLI Codec" and download the .la encoder .exe and point the "Generic CLI Codec" at the .exe and give it the command line options you want and encode that way.

yea, i guess so...just would be nice to have it have some more "offical" support, like a quick frontend with the option for regular or high level compression...ive already got it set up for myself, but i know that there are probably a few people out there that arent too good with command lines, or in some cases havent used them at all...also for some reason, i cant get dbpoweramp to accept .la files ..i.e. right click to convert them to a differant format....i can convert stuff TO .la, but not from it, heck i even can get it to convert directly from a cd (i had a SMALL problem before, had to convert to wav first...but i figured out what i was doing wrong.

Note that the Generic CLI Support will only encode the files. This is why you cannot decode them. If you can find either a Winamp decoder or a DirectShow filter for the files, you can use either the Winamp Input Adapter or the DirectShow Decoder to have dMC decode your .la files.