title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

wave to midi conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simmy
    • Apr 2005

wave to midi conversion

Hi all

sorry I am new to this music conversion stuff, but I wanted to convert my wave music or mp3 music files to midi but I cannot find a menu anywhere to do this

Am I just being stupid??

Simmy
  • ShaneR
    • Apr 2004

Re: wave to midi conversion

yep, being stupid ...Just kiddin'

Actually, you can not convert audio formats to midi...just can't be done. Midi files only contain data (instructions) that tell the computer what sound to trigger (along with tons of other performance data). Midi does not contain audio-it's basically a data file. So, converting an audio stream of any type to midi just can't be done.

That's the short answer

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Not easily is the short answer, still want to continue? Converting From a Midi File A midi file needs all the special instrument sounds on your sound card, because of this dMC will not be able to convert from a midi file, however all is not lost. Connect the Line-out to the Line-in on your sound card. Download the

Short answer: No you cannot
      Long answer: You CAN, but it will probably end up sounding like crap.

Comment

• ShaneR
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LtData
        Long answer: You CAN, but it will probably end up sounding like crap.
        Exactly. But, I would replace "probably" with "will". The program linked to in the post pointed to above is an interesting exercise, but not much in the way of practicality.

I use midi daily as I'm a muscian with a home studio and it's no doubt given TONS to us amatuer and professional musicians. But, as for the listener of music, I don't think Midi and Audio should even be mentioned together.

My two cents (for what it's worth)

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ShaneR
          Exactly. But, I would replace "probably" with "will". The program linked to in the post pointed to above is an interesting exercise, but not much in the way of practicality.

I use midi daily as I'm a musician with a home studio and it's no doubt given TONS to us amateur and professional musicians. But, as for the listener of music, I don't think Midi and Audio should even be mentioned together.

My two cents (for what it's worth)
          With a good soundbank and used by a great musician, with all the knowledge and experience of composition and arrangements, midi can sound fantastic. But because it relies on the particular soundbank used, it will not necessarily be reproduced the same way on every pc. It can range from awful to awesome.

Musicians I know who compose great midi music record it to .wav through their soundcard while playing the midi file on their own machine, so they capture the sound exactly as intended.

Comment

• ShaneR
            • Apr 2004

No doubt, Christine. That's exactly what I do here at home. I have gigabytes of samples and tons of programs(all cost me a fortune and no record deal yet! LOL) I use for writing and recording. Really can't say enough about what the PC, samplers, and sample makers have brought to the table. Heck, when we have the majority of, say, the score for Lord of The Rings composed in that way...it's saying something I've been making use of midi's capabilities since it's early days. Even though it's stayed the same for the last 20 years, a lot of great technologies have grown up around it.

Guess what I was trying to say it that midi, today, is a tool for composition and performance like a piano or guitar. It's only as good as the person using it. It that since, midi is only one element present in the final sound--It allows the musician to get there, but doesn't make good audio by itself.

So, in the context of this audio forum, I was trying to say midi doesn't mean much to a person who just wants to listen to the lastest hit on the charts. It's not a format like mp3, ape, flac, etc.

lol...hope that rambling made sense

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

No doubt, Christine. That's exactly what I do here at home. I have gigabytes of samples and tons of programs(all cost me a fortune and no record deal yet! LOL) I use for writing and recording. Really can't say enough about what the PC, samplers, and sample makers have brought to the table. Heck, when we have the majority of, say, the score for Lord of The Rings composed in that way...it's saying something I've been making use of midi's capabilities since it's early days. Even though it's stayed the same for the last 20 years, a lot of great technologies have grown up around it.

Guess what I was trying to say it that midi, today, is a tool for composition and performance like a piano or guitar. It's only as good as the person using it. It that since, midi is only one element present in the final sound--It allows the musician to get there, but doesn't make good audio by itself.

So, in the context of this audio forum, I was trying to say midi doesn't mean much to a person who just wants to listen to the lastest hit on the charts. It's not a format like mp3, ape, flac, etc.

lol...hope that rambling made sense
              Well, once again it just comes to show that composing music requires talent and knowldege not just dumb luck and hi-tech.

I got some of the high-tech, maybe even the dumb luck, but I'll be damned if I can make a decent sound, not even close. I'm missing those other ingredients and unless I just let the samples just play on and loop them- and even then - nothing remotely reminiscent of music will come out of anything I try :D

Comment

• ShaneR
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                Well, once again it just comes to show that composing music requires talent and knowldege not just dumb luck and hi-tech.

I got some of the high-tech, maybe even the dumb luck, but I'll be damned if I can make a decent sound, not even close. I'm missing those other ingredients and unless I just let the samples just play on and loop them- and even then - nothing remotely reminiscent of music will come out of anything I try :D
                LMAO...I hear that :D

I paid Hundred's of dollars for a sampled Bosendorfer piano. Imagine my surprise when I DID NOT sound like Mozart or Betoven!! hehehe....and they wouldn't give me a refund lol

But, I don't care good or bad someone is, with today's technology just makin a sound is pure fun! Make good music, make bad music...just make music LOL

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

LMAO...I hear that :D

I paid Hundred's of dollars for a sampled Bosendorfer piano. Imagine my surprise when I DID NOT sound like Mozart or Betoven!! hehehe....and they wouldn't give me a refund lol

But, I don't care good or bad someone is, with today's technology just makin a sound is pure fun! Make good music, make bad music...just make music LOL
                  Oh, too bad I can't take the composition software into the shower, cuz that's where I make REALLY GREAT MUSIC! :D

Comment

• Smoggy
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Feb 2005

What kinda recording/synth software do you guys use?

I have alot of Cakewalk stuff.
                    Music Creator
                    Kinetic
                    Protracks

Also thinking about buying Project5...
                    Any input on Project5?

I have also been thinking....(More like dreaming) about Sonar Producer....Don't have the big $$$ for that right now tho.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Smoggy
                      What kinda recording/synth software do you guys use?

I have alot of Cakewalk stuff.
                      Music Creator
                      Kinetic
                      Protracks

Also thinking about buying Project5...
                      Any input on Project5?

I have also been thinking....(More like dreaming) about Sonar Producer....Don't have the big $$$ for that right now tho.
                      The musician in my household uses sometimes Logic for composing midi. Anvil Studio for simpler, quicker stuff at times.

For home recording we use a portable 8-track Roland Boss recording console, and it all gets captured and extra effects applied by Voyetra Record Producer Deluxe through s/pdif. Logic should be able to handle that too, but it's just too damn complicated. Besides I handle most of the captures myself and I'll be damned if I'll kill myself with Logic :D

My musician is dreaming more about getting into a real studio with real sound technicians where she won't have to do everything herself LOL!

Comment

• Smoggy
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                        The musician in my household uses sometimes Logic for composing midi. Anvil Studio for simpler, quicker stuff at times.

For home recording we use a portable 8-track Roland Boss recording console, and it all gets captured and extra effects applied by Voyetra Record Producer Deluxe through s/pdif. Logic should be able to handle that too, but it's just too damn complicated. Besides I handle most of the captures myself and I'll be damned if I'll kill myself with Logic :D

My musician is dreaming more about getting into a real studio with real sound technicians where she won't have to do everything herself LOL!

I use a "Digitech RPX400 Multi Effects Processor" as a guitar interface and a standard Midi port for keyboard...(Not that I can play the keyboard but its fun for adding crazy effects)....It's kinda primitve but so are my musical skills....LOL :komisch7:

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

I use a "Digitech RPX400 Multi Effects Processor" as a guitar interface and a standard Midi port for keyboard...(Not that I can play the keyboard but its fun for adding crazy effects)....It's kinda primitve but so are my musical skills....LOL :komisch7:
                          I have a very skilled musician friend who composes midi using Anvil Studio. He literally drags and drops notes on the staff with the mouse. His computer has no midi port (a long story why not) so he can't use a keyboard for input. The results are stunning.

Comment

• Smoggy
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Feb 2005

I do that too. although I don't use the staff, just a midi sequencing map...It makes for a perfect groove...you can time everything precisely that way. Although it makes it sound more electronic.
                            Last edited by Smoggy; 04-16-2005, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

I do that too. although I don't use the staff, just a midi sequencing map...It makes for a perfect groove...you can time everything precisely that way. Although it makes it sound more electronic.
                              Hmm... what about the humanize function? I see it in several of the programs that deal with midi. I think that's what it's for.

Comment

Working...

]]>