title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: difference between 84kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

Re: difference between 84kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    iPods cannot. My friends say all the time, anyways, "F*** the iPod, stupid b****y Apple product."

I totally agree with my friends, the iPod sucks. The batteries die SOOO quickly, and the sound quality just isn't good, in my opinion. And no Ogg Vorbis support.

As for the Creative Nomad, I don't think it supports Ogg Vorbis. Use Google, my friend, it has answers to everything in this world!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...cfkmdffhdfif.0

kinda true. Although it doesn't pick out the frequencies that I can't hear!
    Yes... Why is ogg vorbis so much better with compression? What techniques do they use that are unique to mp3s?

dBpoweramp Guru

Maybe this will help. http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

dBpoweramp Enthusiast iTunesIsEvil's Avatar

iPods cannot. My friends say all the time, anyways, "F*** the iPod, stupid b****y Apple product."

I totally agree with my friends, the iPod sucks. The batteries die SOOO quickly, and the sound quality just isn't good, in my opinion. And no Ogg Vorbis support.
    Hehheh... Speaking of Flames....
    <Sigh>
    IMO: Why iPods don't suck: huge hard drive (for audio OR just random storage), nice menu interfaces, plenty of audio support (AAC, Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store), MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible, Apple Lossless, WAV, AIFF), IEEE 1394 (FireWire), and my battery has lasted a year so far and I've only lost 6.25% of the battery life (which in a rechargable battery is pretty damn good). Battery playback time (with a minimal amount of time with the backlight on) is about 12hr, again not too bad for a device with a hard drive playing audio. You can put Linux on it so you can record without a mic and you can develop your own stuff for the iPod. Currently there is a OGG Player that is running at about 80% real-time, so it's not quite done yet, but it's getting there. I just think the iPod is a great tool/toy. I really like the design, and the huge drive. 20G in an item the size of a deck of cards is awfully cool, especially since you dont have to open up your computer and plug into a ribbon cable, or a SATA fiber cable. I backed up most of my music, all of my install files, all my pictures, and all of my programming stuff (not the IDEs but the code for the programs...) with it when I switched computers.

As to Apple products being sucky... I wouldnt say that. Seeing as how the Mac OSX runs using a BSD core and is therefore pretty much a linux-based piece of software its very secure and very stable. Could they put more time into functionality as opposed to form? Yes. But who couldn't? Or vice-versa. Linux distros could spend a bit more time making their software usable by John Doe as opposed to making them mostly specifically secure platforms.

Well, that was fun! Let the flaming ensue!!
    Last edited by iTunesIsEvil; 04-04-2005 at 03:47 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Why iPods suck for me: No Ogg Vorbis support!!!!! DAMN! I LOVE ogg vorbis!

iPods don't suck! I've got one and I love it. I've had mine nearly 18 months now and I use every day at work. I'm pretty sure they do support Ogg Vorbis too. STOP IPOD BASHING!!!

As for the whole mp3 vs Ogg Vorbis. Its a matter of opinion. I've been using mp3 for years and find the quality is fine. I encode evertything to 128k. It gives great sound quality and keeps the file size quite low too. Unless you have spent thousands on good speakers or are playing your music over a really good professional quality sound rig there's no point encoding any higher, your just wasting space!

Actually.... some people, such as neil and myself, can tell when mp3 is encoding to 128kbps or lower. And I'm using headphones and a USB soundcard. I can also tell the difference between WMA at 96kbps and 128kbps. Again, encoding levels are a matter of opinion, as each person has different hearing abilities.

And yes, we DO need to stop the iPod bashing. Some people love them and swear by them. Some people are indifferent towards them. Some people hate them and will never even TOUCH one. Again, its a matter of personal taste.
    And, as of right now, iPods do not officially support Ogg Vobis. There may be some people that are making it to where they DO, but, for all practical intents and purposes, the iPod doesn't support Ogg Vorbis.

As for encoding, Ogg Vorbis is based off of mp2 encoding. That's why it sounds better at lower bitrates.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Actually.... some people, such as neil and myself, can tell when mp3 is encoding to 128kbps or lower.
    Glad someone supports me here.
    And I'm using headphones and a USB soundcard.
    And I'm using worse, a 4.99 buck headset/microphone with motherboard integrated sound (and I'm a cellist!)
    I can also tell the difference between WMA at 96kbps and 128kbps.
    Same.
    Again, encoding levels are a matter of opinion, as each person has different hearing abilities.
    Why not keep everything universal at Ogg Vorbis? That way, no one complains!

And yes, we DO need to stop the iPod bashing. Some people love them and swear by them. Some people are indifferent towards them. Some people hate them and will never even TOUCH one. Again, its a matter of personal taste.
    And, as of right now, iPods do not officially support Ogg Vobis. There may be some people that are making it to where they DO, but, for all practical intents and purposes, the iPod doesn't support Ogg Vorbis.
    But but but but.....(sputters riff-raff) :sad:
    As for encoding, Ogg Vorbis is based off of mp2 encoding. That's why it sounds better at lower bitrates.
    LtData, where can I learn more about Ogg Vorbis? Remember, I am a technology noob!

LtData, where can I learn more about Ogg Vorbis? Remember, I am a technology noob!
    http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp They answer some questions there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis Here to.

dBpoweramp Guru

thanks

well, i cant tell the difference between WMA at 64kbps and 128kbps on my $600 hi-fi system, i burned 2 cds to try out and cant tell which is which, they're equally good. but not for mp3, mp3 at 64kbps the quality is hopeless.

therefore i have just converted all my 20K songs to WMA at 64kbps, saved half the hd space.

What exactly do the sounds sound like when compressed to 64kbps? WMA (instead of 64kbpsmp3).

Do they sound muffled, you mean?

dBpoweramp Guru

Jimbo2005, what I mean by when I say I can tell the difference between 64 and 128 is that 64 sounds muffled, mono-sound, (not stereo), cymbals don't crash correctly (especially in classical music), violins totally sound like they're playing on mud (in classical music), and lots of stereo-effects are lost. (in all genres of music)

And this applies to ANY audio format.

Gee. Cymbals don't crash correctly.

I've always wondered. audio cassette is like 22khz right?

Which sounds better 22khz at 128kbps or
    44khz at 64kbps?

Regards.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo2005
    Gee. Cymbals don't crash correctly.

I've always wondered. audio cassette is like 22khz right?

Which sounds better 22khz at 128kbps or
    44khz at 64kbps?

Regards.
    It's debatable.

I especially love SRS wow effects. Its ambience capabilities make it sound so live.

It's on Microsoft windows media player.