title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: difference between 84kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

Re: difference between 84kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo2005
    Gee. Cymbals don't crash correctly.

I've always wondered. audio cassette is like 22khz right?

Which sounds better 22khz at 128kbps or
    44khz at 64kbps?

Regards.
    I was just experimenting with some combinations and I found that at very low bitrate sa lower frequency sounds better, at least for wma formats.

So 20-32 kbps CBR sounds better, brighter, at 22KHz than at 44Khz. Above 32kbps 44Khz is better.

(Don't forget in wma, those low bitrates result in about twice as good an audio file than mp3 at the same bitrates. So 32kbps wma is about as good as mp3 at 64kbps - buit only half the file size).

I know some dude who bought 300 dollar head phones. He wanted to buy 500 dollar ones too.

What's the difference between 'em and those 2 dollar, 10 dollar versions?

Regards.

The output range comes to mind, as well as the clarity of the headphones. Another thing is the strength and size of the drivers. The impedance, or how loud they can get, is another factor.
    Also, the design. Most expensive headphones enclose the ear in foam to close out outside sounds. Also, many expensive headphones include noise-canceling technology.

Wow. I wonder how WMA could produce twice the quality as mp3.

i guess it's from shortcuts like if a bass drum and another instrument is played at the same time, the bassdrum gets more hard drive space whereas the other instrument gets much smaller drive space.

Can dbpoweramp convert into wma format?

Wow. I wonder how WMA could produce twice the quality as mp3.

i guess it's from shortcuts like if a bass drum and another instrument is played at the same time, the bassdrum gets more hard drive space whereas the other instrument gets much smaller drive space.

Can dbpoweramp convert into wma format?
    Of course dBpowerAMP can convert to wma. Download and install the codecs from Codec Central for Windows Media (wma). Just make sure you follow all isntructions as the downloads and installations are different depending on the OS you have.

I know some dude who bought 300 dollar head phones. He wanted to buy 500 dollar ones too.

What's the difference between 'em and those 2 dollar, 10 dollar versions?

Regards.
    Well, the price of course for one :D

Actually I feel that going over $100 is way overboard. From $50 to $100 you can find perfectly good headphones with all those nice features - cancelling other sounds, tight foam padding that allows no leakage to the outside (important in a recording studio) and maybe controls to shift the balance or for the volume.

At lower prices they are still good enough for every day use. But not as low as $10 for sure, unless you just want them for the pocket mp3 player or to leave around the office.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have 550 buck headphones that my brother didn't want, so I use it now. I think my headphones create an appropriate "soundstage" so that orchestral pieces sound correctly.

It was also these headphones that allowed me to distinguish between the various mp3 formats out there. (These headphones don't plug into my computer, they're wireless and they're connected to my L70 DVD-Receiver)

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    I have 550 buck headphones that my brother didn't want, so I use it now. I think my headphones create an appropriate "soundstage" so that orchestral pieces sound correctly.

It was also these headphones that allowed me to distinguish between the various mp3 formats out there. (These headphones don't plug into my computer, they're wireless and they're connected to my L70 DVD-Receiver)
    Geez, my entire computer costs barely more than that :rolleyes:
    As for my hi-fi system.... let's not even talk about it :p

We did get a Yamaha home theater set just last week only because my daughter won it in a draw. It seems to cost somewhere around $600-$800 depending where you look - I'd have NEVER bought it at that price :D Pretty useless gadget anyway :p .

dBpoweramp Guru

I got my computer at a rip off price from Dell. (Damnit Dell, I hate your prices!) My dad was foolish enough to purchase a lousy computer from them at a gamer computer price.

The original computer specs were:
    1.8 ghz Pentium 4 processor
    1 stick of 256 MB RAM at 266mhz
    32 MB 4X AGP ATI Rage 128 Ultra
    Samsung Black 48X CD-ROM
    Cheap keyboard/cheap mouse/both black
    17 " CRT monitor that can only go up to 72hz for refresh rate
    1 year warranty, which was nothing, since their telephone lines were always busy

All this load of junk for 900 dollars. Purchased in year 2001.

Oh and Christina, does your family use the Yamaha home theater?

I got my computer at a rip off price from Dell. (Damnit Dell, I hate your prices!) My dad was foolish enough to purchase a lousy computer from them at a gamer computer price.

The original computer specs were:
    1.8 ghz Pentium 4 processor
    1 stick of 256 MB RAM at 266mhz
    32 MB 4X AGP ATI Rage 128 Ultra
    Samsung Black 48X CD-ROM
    Cheap keyboard/cheap mouse/both black
    17 " CRT monitor that can only go up to 72hz for refresh rate
    1 year warranty, which was nothing, since their telephone lines were always busy

All this load of junk for 900 dollars. Purchased in year 2001.

Oh and Christina, does your family use the Yamaha home theater?
    Dell's for regular consumers are a rip-off. Period. What you got you can have for maybe $300, but better overall.

Well, our home theater is installed on the big tv in the den, so you can say it's being used by whomever watches any DVD there. It's uselss for cable tv and for vcr's though, unless you want to route everythign through the dvd player - and then mess up connectors and all and never be able to record anything else again.

You can listen to cd's too, but usually there's somebody watching tv there so it tends to clash.

I've only taken a peek at it all and said "Ah, ok. Now turn the rumble off". I can't stand sound coming at me from all over the place LOL! It confuses me. It's supposed to come from that box in front of me not from behind or from the floor, so I tend to be antsy :D

dBpoweramp Guru

Lol. Sound behind you? How about headphones? When you wear headphones and play a game, say, Halo: Combat Evolved, you hear bullets flying from behind you, narrowly missing you. As the bullet travels from the direction of your back to the direction of your front, you hear the sound of the bullet traveling too. And, in the background, you hear the quiet moaning of the snow blizzard. All of these sounds you hear in the headphones are sounds you would exactly the same in your home theater.

Lol. Sound behind you? How about headphones? When you wear headphones and play a game, say, Halo: Combat Evolved, you hear bullets flying from behind you, narrowly missing you. As the bullet travels from the direction of your back to the direction of your front, you hear the sound of the bullet traveling too. And, in the background, you hear the quiet moaning of the snow blizzard. All of these sounds you hear in the headphones are sounds you would exactly the same in your home theater.
    Neil, do you honestly think I'd play any games, especially such as those?
    At most I play Solitaire once in a blue moon :D

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorry, I forgot.

Always wodnered, what's this lossless wma encoding that microsoft always claim?

Why can't it make any losses despite lower bit rates?

Why is it better than mp3?

regards.

Answered here:
    http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7697
    Please don't double post.