title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: difference between 84kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

difference between 64kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

Hi,

Just wondering. Is 64kbps 44khz FM quality? Or is it 128kbps 44khz? Why is there a quality difference even if the 44khz remains the same?

What is audio cassette quality? 64kbps 44khz or 128bkpz 44khz? FM quality? LP quality?

Thanks, please reply.
    Last edited by Jimbo2005; 03-28-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Re: difference between 64kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

Technically, CD quality is 128kbps and FM quality is 96kbps. The reason there is a difference is the "kbps" affects how much data is stored about the signal per second. The more data that is stored, the better it sounds.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: difference between 84kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

And Cassette quality is analog wave, so no bitrate or sampling frequency! However, the actual bandwidth is a little limited due to the physical restraints of the tape itself.

dBpoweramp Guru

In my opinion, all of that is false to me. Come on now! If you convert CD audio to 128 kbps mp3, ogg, or wma, or mp4, or whatever lossy codec, face the truth: It does NOT sound CD quality. Actually, it sounds quite terrible.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast iTunesIsEvil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    In my opinion, all of that is false to me. Come on now! If you convert CD audio to 128 kbps mp3, ogg, or wma, or mp4, or whatever lossy codec, face the truth: It does NOT sound CD quality. Actually, it sounds quite terrible.
    Actually IMHO AAC @ 128kbps and WMA @ 128kbps w/ 2Pass VBR sounds pretty darn good. So I wouldn't say that's the truth. Hearing is very very different between each person. Some of us pick up things others don't.

Thanks. Yes, CD quality is much much better of course.

To tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference between 128kbps and 64kbps. Maybe I have bad hearing.

dBpoweramp Guru

You're lucky to have bad hearing, believe it or not. Since I can tell the difference between an LAME encoded mp3 at 192 kbps and one at 224 kbps, I always have to live with the higher bitrate encoded file since my ears will not accept anything lower than that...

This also means it takes up a lot a disk space, so I usually resort to WMA or Ogg Vorbis to reduce file space.

Talking Re: difference between 84kbps 44khz and 128kbps 44khz

What's worse, I can't tell the difference between audio cassette and CD (well, cassette has pffffffffffft noises and that's all.

Well, but my taste for girlfriends is very high though. Won't accept much less than certain dress sizes and looks similar to Cindy Crawford and a nice personality. E.g. she'd pay for my phone bills :D Therefore, it makes me kinda lonely. :cry:

dBpoweramp Guru

lol.

By the way, if you have bad hearing, you should try Ogg Vorbis encoded at 56 kbps, and then tell me if you still can't tell the difference.

Ogg Vorbis? Does that have better or higher sound quality than dbpoweramp's mp3s?

In fact, I can't tell the difference between that DTS surround sound and just plain dolby sound. (In DVDs)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo2005
    Ogg Vorbis? Does that have better or higher sound quality than dbpoweramp's mp3s?
    Yah.. Ever played Grand Theft Auto Vice City? That used mp3s for audio, and the sound quality was bad. Now take a game like Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Championship II: Liandri Conflict, or Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, all of which used Ogg Vorbis for audio, and they were recorded at low bitrates as well. (~ 45-96 kbps) they sounded like surround sound too.

In fact, I can't tell the difference between that DTS surround sound and just plain dolby sound. (In DVDs)
    (no comment)

Okay, I'll give it a try. Actually, I might have to do it in a few days' time.

Wonder if portable mp3 players would ever learn how to play ogg vorbis file formats in the future?

dBpoweramp Guru

Jimbo, I feel that you and I are lost in different time era's.

Numerous portable mp3 players can play Ogg Vorbis. http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/
    http://search.ebay.com/Ogg_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Yes, that's great. ogg vorbis is the way to go. Can ipods or creative nomads play ogg vorbises?

I heard that mp3 compresses by guessing sounds that the human ear and brain ignores. E.g. if two instruments play at a time (at the same time), the louder instrument gets most disk space, whereas the softer sounding instrument doesn't get much disk space at all.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, that's great. ogg vorbis is the way to go. Can ipods or creative nomads play ogg vorbises?
    iPods cannot. My friends say all the time, anyways, "F*** the iPod, stupid b****y Apple product."

I totally agree with my friends, the iPod sucks. The batteries die SOOO quickly, and the sound quality just isn't good, in my opinion. And no Ogg Vorbis support.

As for the Creative Nomad, I don't think it supports Ogg Vorbis. Use Google, my friend, it has answers to everything in this world!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...cfkmdffhdfif.0

I heard that mp3 compresses by guessing sounds that the human ear and brain ignores. E.g. if two instruments play at a time (at the same time), the louder instrument gets most disk space, whereas the softer sounding instrument doesn't get much disk space at all.
    kinda true. Although it doesn't pick out the frequencies that I can't hear!