title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

"wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

dMC cannot decode encrypted files.

Most of the times these files are created by the default setting in Windows Media Player to encrypt all the files it rips off of CDs. This setting is found under the "Copy Music" tab in the WMP options. Uncheck the "Copy protect music" box. Click OK to apply this change.

These files are also obtained when purchasing music off of online stores such as Napster and the like (but NOT iTunes Music Store). If you wish to convert these files, there is really only one options: use Auxiliary Input to record the song as it plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Please download dMC Auxiliary Input from Codec Central (see at the top of the forum), install it and read the help file on it. (note: Aux. Input is included with Release 11)

1. Prepare your audio input by opening the Volume Control and selecting whatever is there for Stereo Input or Stereo Mixdown. The exact term varies depending on your sound card. You'll find there many different sources for input, just pick the one most likely to be that and make sure it's not muted - or unmute all of them.

2. Start playing the file in whatever player can play it. Stop the player (do not pause it, do not close it).

3. Start dMC Auxiliary Input, select the parameters according to the documentation (input, output, quality, etc).

4. Start recording and immediately start playing the file in the player. Once the file has finished playing stop the recording, and soon after the file has been captured to whatever type of output you had specified previously in dMC Auxiliary Input parameters. As a side note: there are parameters for Auto Start and Auto Stop in dMC Auxiliary Input. If your audio file has silences that are longer than those preset, it will be assumed to be finished, so it's best not to use that feature unless you know there is no such silence in the audio.

I usually prefer to capture to a wav first and then convert it using dMC to some other file type. You can capture directly to something like mp3 but it's easier to monitor the results if you go through a wav step first. It's your call, only by experimenting can you know exactly what's best.

This process takes a little longer than the duration of the original file. It doesn't lend itself to batch processing, it's really one by one.
    If you need help with Aux Input, try this thread: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=34783

Re: "wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

1. Burn the songs on audio cd (if you don't use it for other reasons, then take a rw cd).
    2. Insert audio cd into cd drive.
    3. Rip tracks as usual (if you burnt albums in wrong order, freedb won't work and you must tag the tracks manually, or use some tagging software afterwards)
    4. Done

If you have the problem that some cd players of yours dont play the audio cd, convert the ripped tracks from step 3 into an audio cd again.
    That's the damn way I always have to go when my sister buys music online, because her portable cd player refuses to play the original copy -.-
    Also its the way to get rid of those burning limitations.

Fazit: Hands off from DRM crap :P

A new development in the WMA DRM:
    A program has been released that strips the Windows Media DRM from both video and audio files that you legally own the licenses to and makes them free to use anywhere.

Unfortunately, in the US, this is illegal under the DMCA as it circumvents copy-protection. The author of the program is not in the US and is not illegal to use outside the US, to the best of my knowledge.

No, you don't get a link, but that's what google is for. FairUse4WM

I though I'd contribute and throw in my 2 cents. Around 2003, I had been using Jet Audio for playback, conversion etc. I have found, that as long as you purchased the .wma files from whichever online reseller, it will convert them to .wav, mp3, monkey's audio, ra + ogg. Sorry, no AAC...I-tunes wasnt' around then. When the new release came out a year later, all this was blocked. At that time, I stopped using their newer version and only kept the older one around to convert for the occasional song I purchased thru Walmart or Napster, though these days that is rare (quality sucks which is fine for a single song I never intend on purchasing the whole album). Because the codecs are old, I convert to .wav first and then convert to .wma lossless. Works every time and I don't have to waste a bunch of CDs and then rip them to whatever. The version I have is JAD510p. Just thought I'd share.

One last thing, if you subscribe to one of those "all you can eat" for $9.95 a month for your portable player, this will not work (I tried way back when). You actually have to purchase the song for it to work. Something to do with burn rights that the player recognizes, I'm sure.

K j A M