title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cd copy protection workaround?

dBpoweramp Guru

cd copy protection workaround?

um.... did anyone try this? i don't have a protected cd to try out.
    follow the source link for the article:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8143

"most affected users can bypass the system entirely by holding the shift key while inserting the CD,"

* "Many users disable the autorun feature [11] (autostart on Mac OS), so their systems will be able to copy the disc unless the user manually launches MediaMax.
    * "Windows users who haven't disabled autorun can suspend it when they play a SunnComm-protected disc by holding down the shift key for a few seconds while inserting the CD. They can then copy the data normally.

"In all these cases, the audio tracks are left completely unprotected.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: cd copy protection workaround?

It most probably works, though I've never had to use it.

Most "so-called" protected Music CD only use an unreadable invalid data track at the end, the track a computer will try to read first, so that the computer will just keep trying to read the track over and over trying to get to the autorun.inf file (because the TOC for the data track mentions the files, it's just the files are not there when the computer tries to read them). So, pressing shift while inserting the disc just tells Windows to not do anything, and then, when you use a software like dMC Audio CD input or EAC, which don't reply on Windows to tell them what is on the CD, they can just access the audio data directly.

And as long as CD will be in place, there is no way they can protect their CD better, because if they start scrambling the audio data itself, older CD player won't even be able to play the audio thus the companies would alienate a lot of consumer thus making more harm than good.

And anyway, no matter how much protection they put on the discs, there will always be the good ol' loopback into a soundcard, which, if the volume levels are set right, would create almost perfect sounding tracks.

DISCLAIMER: Everything I said here about copy protection I just said out of my head and what I think, I have no officiel sources so if I'm wrong on something, feel free to correct me.

Administrator

That Shif key only works on 1 cd currently, because they install a secret program on insert.

dBpoweramp Guru

well it is certainly interesting that there are at least some ways around it.

an article on How to copy/rip a protected audio cdcd freaks is of interest also.

certainly a sight worth keeping an eye on for cd related info. well i found it informative anyway.

Is this the same as "encrypted" files. I have error messages for some albums when trying to convert them telling me dbpower can't convert the wma to mp3 because the file is encrypted. Any suggestions to get around this?

Quote Originally Posted by paratore
    Is this the same as "encrypted" files. I have error messages for some albums when trying to convert them telling me dbpower can't convert the wma to mp3 because the file is encrypted. Any suggestions to get around this?
    Use dMC AUxiliary Input for your copy-protected wma files and capture them to mp3 directly or to wav first and convert them afterwards to mp3.

Thanks, that worked for some of the albums, just not the "protected" ones. I've been re-ripping the actual albums in as mp3 files for these.

Quote Originally Posted by paratore
    Thanks, that worked for some of the albums, just not the "protected" ones. I've been re-ripping the actual albums in as mp3 files for these.
    What do you mean it didn't work for the protected ones? dMC Auxiliary Input works independently of the input file type or protection or lack thereof. If you can play the file using any kind of player and direct the sound through the sound card, then you can use dMC Auxiliary Input to capture a new audio file.

Where do I find dmc auxiliary input - I have dbpoweramp music converter, dmc file select, and dmc audio cd input downloaded.

Click on Music Converter at the top of this forum and look at the bottom of that page for all the downloads.

iTunes?

1 Disable autoplay
    2 Start iTunes
    3 Insert disc

Worked every time for me ;-)

Bye now

Also, there are a few suggestions Spoon mentions in the dMC Release 11 help.

1. Holding left shift when inserting the CD and for 5-10 seconds afterwards.
    2. Turning off "Table of Contents Dection". This is found in the arrow beside options, and then out from "Standard CD Player Emulation".
    3. The Black marker trick.
    Last edited by LtData; 09-26-2005 at 12:31 AM.

i think there are also drives who have capability to rip protected CD. my drive is able to rip just any kind of CD...i don't need to press shift, turn off Autoplay etc. So, maybe there should be a list of which drive is recommended if you have plan to rip lots of your CDs...

recording with soundforge!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Silvestre
    i think there are also drives who have capability to rip protected CD. my drive is able to rip just any kind of CD...i don't need to press shift, turn off Autoplay etc. So, maybe there should be a list of which drive is recommended if you have plan to rip lots of your CDs...
    I've had most luck with a USB connected (i.e. external) Sony DRU 530A DVD drive - it doesn't seem to get screwed by the invalid index files the way my internal drives do (with protection systems like CACTUS). However just because you can see the tracks, and rip them, doesn't mean you are home free - some rippers make a real pigs ear of recovering from the deliberate errors that are on the 'CD' (it isn't a CD, per redbook standards, of course).

EAC in 'burst mode' does the best job for me on problem CDs (the latest being Norah Jones 'Feels Like Home' - UK version, I believe some other countries sell actual CDs with no protection). DB power amp ripped it, but there were unacceptable clicks and squawks.

However, record from AUX (set to 'stero mix' or whatever) will always work fine .. just takes longer, and requires the tracks to be sorted out afterwards.