title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cd copy protection workaround?

Re: cd copy protection workaround?

The solution for Sony BMG CDs is the following:

Step 1:

Boycott Sony BMG CDs

Step 2:

Rip with the included software

Step 3:

Burn with Nero or equivilant (DO NOT USE WMP OR WINDOWS)

Step 4:

Rip with program of choice

Please pass this information along. This should not violate any copyright laws because this is only creating a legal backup of the CD and the music that you purchased. So long as you don't send this out to file sharing you should be OK. This solution is meant only to legally put your music onto your music player of choice, not to pirate music.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast gameplaya15143's Avatar

Or... you can just disable autoplay and never have to worry about any of it.

Has anybody tried AnyDVD for this? I use it and it works perfectly for copying DVD's and it's also supposed to work for music cd's because there are settings for audio cd's. I've never used it for cd's because I've never had the need to. This is what it says in the features list "Features AnyCDDA: play, copy and rip protected audio CDs" It is by the same people who make CloneCd and CloneDVD. It's a small program that removes all types of protection and it is updated frequently. It works with most DVD copy software and should work with most cd ripping tools. You can also use CloneCD for the same purpose but why pay for that when AnyDVD can handle both protected Cd's and DVD's!

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html
    Last edited by bravadoca; 10-23-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Umm, AnyDVD isn't free either, bub

Quote Originally Posted by gameplaya15143
    Or... you can just disable autoplay and never have to worry about any of it.
    Wow does this really work? How do you completely disable autoplay / autorun?

I've got a Kylie Minogue CD that I've been trying to rip for ages, it has terrible clicks in it every few seconds. I hate Sony BMG :vmad:

There are two main types of copy-protection:
    The kind that launches a program to keep you from ripping the CD
    The kind that purposefully makes a CD defective (cracks and pops in the audio). This kind is rather easy to spot, as it doesn't have the "audio CD" logo anywhere on it.

The first type is easy to work around, the second type cannot be worked around.

Strange behaviour with a DRM CD

I recently bought the Celine Dion CD "A New Has Come" from the internet.
    I was disappointed to find that it was DRM protected and stated quite clearly "will not play on PC/MAC".

I read that if you pressed SHIFT when loading the CD or disabling the autorun feature it maybe possible to explore the file structure. Another trick I'd heard

of was to use a black marker pen around the edge of the CD.

I own a fully paid version of dBpoweramp and thought this might be able to extract the audio. The CD drive just refused to play and DBpoweramp stalled, so I closed that down.

Undaunted I looked at this forum and others and I came across a suggestion that I could use a program I had bought "ISOBuster" to attempt to extract the audio data.

I then proceeded to extract the audio as WAV files then, it still too got stuck on the tracks 16 & 17 of the disc. At least I thought I could have most of it.
    One final idea came to mind to salvage the last 2 tracks. I got out my CD cleaning kit and gave the CD a good wipe and also cleaned the CD drive lens.

I thought I'll give ISOBuster one more go. It promptly got the job done. Voila!, or so I thgought. After painstakingly converting the WAV files to FLAC and manually editing every file with the ID3 tag info I sat down and thought that's it - cracked it!

I then decided that I'll carry on with a normal CD and rip that. I closed ISOBUster, deleted all the WAV files and fired up DBpoweramp.

Before I had chance to open the drive for the next CD I'd forgotten to take Celine out (no jokes here please).

To my amazement dBPoweramp was showing the entire Celine CD ready to rip. I managed it successfully, no hassles.

Anybody know what happened to dBPoweramp? Why did it rip it this time and not before?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DJPT-UK View Post
    Wow does this really work? How do you completely disable autoplay / autorun?

I've got a Kylie Minogue CD that I've been trying to rip for ages, it has terrible clicks in it every few seconds. I hate Sony BMG :vmad:
    Do you need to switch on the Interpolate missing samples option to get rid of the clicks, or is that just part of the "Defective by design" ripping option?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sjmac View Post
    Do you need to switch on the Interpolate missing samples option to get rid of the clicks, or is that just part of the "Defective by design" ripping option?
    When I enabled "Interpolate Unrecoverable Frames" and ripped a damaged CD using Secure ripping (i did not test DBD ripping), I ended up with substantially more error clicks than if I did not enable it.. I think this feature may only be useful if your particular drive return unrecoverable frames with "grossly erroneous" data instead of "close to error free" data when dealing with damaged frames. That's my theory, anyway.

-brendan

Wink Re: cd copy protection workaround?

I suggest:
    ConeCD + any DVD, write an image in CloneCD, load the image into the virtual clone drive (freeware) and rip with db just selecting the virtual drive as source. Everything's fine then. Perhaps this also explains why there are reference rips in accurate rip. I admit this is a "long walk" around, but it provides with best results (and is finally faster - fast reading in clone, faster ripping in db.)
    Greetings

MediaMaxx is a copy protection scheme, you now easily defeated. It is used for making copes audio CDs.

I recently purchased "Sunken Cathedral" by Jackson Berkey on the American Gramaphone label. I had not been able to either rip it or play it in my PC for several days.

When trying to play it using VLC media player I would get an error message about invalid directory structure. When trying to rip it dbpoweramp could spend hours trying to read any one track.

I used the advise I read here of simply using a black magic marker to color the outside edge all the way around and then the CD quickly ripped with out any problems.

I noticed my submission was the first in the Accuraterip database.

Take that Jackson Berkey!

Does anyone know how or why this trick works?

I am using the current R15 Reference release.

LTData (12-29-2004)> • 2. Turning off "Table of Contents Dection". This is found in the arrow beside options, and then out from "Standard CD Player Emulation".

If there is a way to do that in R15 I can not find it.

Thanks to all.

Administrator

The drive its self uses the fake toc, you are removing this fake toc.

I have a couple cd's with a sticker "copy Controlled!" on it and on the back it reads "This disc contains Copy Controlled technology. I's a CD from EMI Music Belgium. Trying to rip it with DBPoweramp on my Imac was without succes. The first song was going thru a second pass and 78 frames had to be re-ripped but at the end I got an error.

Is there other software for mac or windows that can handle copy protected discs?

I have a 5 CD set from EMI called Complete Nineties. It has a Copy Controlled sticker on the box. When I attempted to rip it, I got all sorts of re-rip attempts. It took several hours to rip disc 1, and the resultant files played but had subtle aural issues. I thought maybe just a bad disc. When the second disc did the same thing, that's when I examined the box and saw the Copy Controlled sticker. Which led me to this forum. I use version 16.2.0.3 of dbPowerAmp on Windows 10. This forum didn't give me the solution, but I decided to look at the CD Ripper options. I normally use Secure. But there is an option called "Defective by Design (non-standard CD's). That sounded exactly like what I needed. Using that, the CD's ripped quickly, and the ripped files sound good. If you have that option, try it, and hopefully your Copy Controlled discs will rip. I did see mention elsewhere that it might take DVD-Writing capable drives to read this type of disk. I happen to have that type of drive, so maybe that would also make a difference.