title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using mp3 despite the mp3 limitations

Banned

Thumbs down using mp3 despite the mp3 limitations

Hello,
    I am interested in using mp3 with dbPowerAMP Music Converter 11, but I understand that the mp3 encoder requires a license fee to use it. Since I have no desire to spend money on software (especially when there are other programs that will do mp3 for free) are there any free options to get mp3 support back in version 11? I have an earlier version. Is there any way to splice the mp3 encoder from the earlier version into the newer version? Or perhaps some other good codec I could use to make my mp3? I hate whan companies take perfectly good free software and make people pay for it (that is why I like open source best!)

Thanks

Re: using mp3 despite the mp3 limitations

Is there any reason why are you so adverse to paying for software? I'd think dMC is worth the $14 that is asked for registration. You always have the 30-day trial to decide if it is worth your money or not.

And yes, there are ways to bypass the restriction. Whether they should be discussed here is beyond my authority.
    Last edited by LtData; 03-14-2005 at 08:18 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lucky
    Hello,
    I am interested in using mp3 with dbPowerAMP Music Converter 11, but I understand that the mp3 encoder requires a license fee to use it. Since I have no desire to spend money on software (especially when there are other programs that will do mp3 for free) are there any free options to get mp3 support back in version 11? I have an earlier version. Is there any way to splice the mp3 encoder from the earlier version into the newer version? Or perhaps some other good codec I could use to make my mp3? I hate whan companies take perfectly good free software and make people pay for it (that is why I like open source best!)

Thanks
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Do you work for free?

mp3 codecs may be free software but the right to use them to create mp3 files is subject to a license fee payable to the patent holders. If you think there are any out there that are both free and legal, help yourself.

Banned

actually the reason I want to overcome the mp3 limitations is that I need the line in recorder and I cannot find it anymore. I would be perfectly happy using an old -free- version if I could get the line in capability.

Record to .wav and the use other mp3 conversion programs if that's what you want.

Banned

I got what I needed off the web archive (great free site and service, they often even have downlaods from websites)

dBpoweramp Guru

wow a wasted thread where you insulted us just because the software costs money.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast iTunesIsEvil's Avatar

I hate whan companies take perfectly good free software and make people pay for it (that is why I like open source best!)
    If you are such an open-source advocate, then perhaps you would be willing to search for and compile open-source code for yourself then. The issue is not really with open-source or not, it's more with FhG and them wanting money for a file-format they created. Whether or not we find that to be fair is really a moot point.

Perhaps if you would like, you should try some open source codecs.

Can someone tell me why some people around here can't figure out how to use Google?

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    wow a wasted thread where you insulted us just because the software costs money.
    Not quite wasted, we now know that it's possible to work around the PowerPack license restriction somehow (everything has a workaround in life, you just have to be sneaky to find it sometimes). And I'm surprised anyone would be really offended by that guy...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iTunesIsEvil
    If you are such an open-source advocate, then perhaps you would be willing to search for and compile open-source code for yourself then. The issue is not really with open-source or not, it's more with FhG and them wanting money for a file-format they created. Whether or not we find that to be fair is really a moot point.

Perhaps if you would like, you should try some open source codecs.
    Yeah I prefer open source stuff sometimes , or just Microsoft's WMA codec or the mp4 .

Can someone tell me why some people around here can't figure out how to use Google?
    Because it hasn't crossed their minds that "Google is your best friend"

Not quite wasted, we now know that it's possible to work around the PowerPack license restriction somehow (everything has a workaround in life, you just have to be sneaky to find it sometimes). And I'm surprised anyone would be really offended by that guy...
    Whoa, we shouldn't talk about breaking the PowerPack licence. Ppl might not pay then....

Why can't they do a forum search or just look above or below the forum thread for other related tehread?

Whoa, we shouldn't talk about breaking the PowerPack licence. Ppl might not pay then....
    There are workarounds to everything. Its just a matter of the drive they have to pursue it. Now, do we need to talk about methods to do this? No.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I hate whan companies take perfectly good free software and make people pay for it (that is why I like open source best!)
    I think he believes Illustrate and DMC to be a huge conglomerate corporation with 20 suits sitting around a solid wood table making six figures a year. I'd pay my $14 again if I had to. I'm about to non-hesitantly pay the $25 for the Sveta, never needed it until now that I got my Ipod. But anything put out by Spoon is worth every red cent IMO.

dBpoweramp Guru

god lucky you're so stupid. I use dMC AND Audicity, and every other open source audio program you can think of........These programs all have different features and everything, but dMC puts EVERYTHING together, that's why it's called the Swiss Knife of Audio or whatever.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

god lucky you're so stupid.
    Well, I'd say that Lucky is misguided.

Lucky, here is the deal, Dbpoweramp products by Illustrate is developed and made by one man, Spoon. There is no company who is out to make it out of your reach on a money scale. Understand that many people here on the forum work hand in hand with Spoon on a daily basis and we can get touchy when someone seemingly makes assumptions about Spoon and the products he develops. So please excuse some of our reactions.

I will now ask that you consider registering the product for DMC Release 11 and here is why. It is only a ONE TIME fee for a LIFETIME of great service. It will be the best money you've ever spent. The current release is only better than the one you downloaded from the web archive, and will always get better with each passing day. I have been using Dbpoweramp for well over four years now, so if you figure that, I've spent $4 a year for service, by the time I will have finished using Dbpoweramp (when I die) I'm sure it will be only pennies or less a year in usage. Not only will you have your questions answered about the product by the actual developer, but there are many people on here like Razgo, ChristinaS, Xoas, Ltdata, Neilthecellist, I could go on and on.

I'm sure that my fellow Dbpowerampers can list many other reasons.

But, to the point, Dbpoweramp IS NOT Microsoft, so don't be afraid to pay a little to the piper on this one.

Just so you'll know.