title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

mp3-wave conversion clipping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: mp3-wave conversion clipping

You didn't change the mp3 codec that came with dBpowerAMP Music Converter, did you? The one that comes with the program is L.A.M.E. version 3.96.1 . If you upgraded to some 3.97 alpha, BRING IT BACK to 3.96.1 . That could be the problem that you're having if you did upgrade to 3.97 alpha.

Comment

• bosey
      • Mar 2005

yes the waveform of the .wav is clipping ie. the visual display in nero - but the spectrum analyzer (sp) in winamp is not (though i dont expect this to be that accurate).

the only gremlin i can see as a potential problem is that the original mp3 *is* clipping in winamp (as per the s.a.) but it sounds fine. Its 256kbs 44.1k

i am still on lame 3.96.1

Comment

• adaywayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bosey
        hi all, ive been using db for year and most happy with it... until now.

i am converting some cbr (256) mp3's to wave to play in the car but one track on the album is clipping as a result. the effect of this is quite major dropouts. I have veiwed the waveform in nero and indeed a good deal of the track is 'through the roof'.

the original mp3 is not like this and sounds fine. i have tried the 'normalise' button & also have the 'pro frequency' button checked in the config.

Any ideas? :cry:
        Assuming the original mp3 file does not have the clipping, a very simple "workaround" is to reduce the volume level of the mp3 file by a few dB before converting to wave. You may be able to do that in Nero (I do not use that program) but you can certainly do it with the free program "Audacity".

Comment

• bosey
          • Mar 2005

yeah, i guess the real issue is; why does the mp3 format handle a file that is clipping and a wave not. i can see the mp3 spectrum analyser going through the roof in the mid frequncies in the middle of the track but it sounds absolutely normal whereas the wave does not.

i hoped for a simple answer as i saw the wave format as one that took all the information present in mp3 and presented it coreectly for a .wav - it clearly is a little more (or ironically, a little less) than this.

thanks for all the input

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

yeah, i guess the real issue is; why does the mp3 format handle a file that is clipping and a wave not. i can see the mp3 spectrum analyser going through the roof in the mid frequncies in the middle of the track but it sounds absolutely normal whereas the wave does not.

i hoped for a simple answer as i saw the wave format as one that took all the information present in mp3 and presented it coreectly for a .wav - it clearly is a little more (or ironically, a little less) than this.

thanks for all the input
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~
            The answer is rather complex. Take a look at this article and all the links therein:

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

thanks for all the input
              The wave and the mp3 as played in Winamp should be indentical. Check you havn't got any graphic equalizer on in Winamp. Also check that yor settings for wave (you are creating a PCM uncompressed wave file?) are all [as source]
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bosey
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                The wave and the mp3 as played in Winamp should be indentical. Check you havn't got any graphic equalizer on in Winamp. Also check that yor settings for wave (you are creating a PCM uncompressed wave file?) are all [as source]
                yes, the eq is off (well it wasn't but it is now & makes no diff in that regard). what seems to be the case is that if i listen really carefully i can hear the same kind of clipping but it is *much* more subtle. as i said before, its interesting that the wave conversion accenuates this (or reveals it)

thanks for the link adaywayne - i'll have a good read tomorrow.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Actually I think it's not the .wav that accentuates the clipping but rather that the .mp3 muffled it somewhat.

Comment

• bosey
                    • Mar 2005

yep i think thats about it :D

Comment

• DaMarcus
                      • Dec 2004

What codec are you using. I had a quite similar prob with the original Codec. It sometimnes seems not to convert properly.
                      I guess it should depend on the title itself. Perhaps frequencies that don't fit.

1. I'd suggest to decrease the volume to -5db before converting.Afterwards you'll have to relevel it.
                      2. I'd suggest to try a step by step converting. First rip it in WAV/16/44.1 - on the HDD - then rerip it with Lame/Blade to 256/44.1/stereo
                      3. Try to play it with several software players - some are quite ugly and have a built in processing itself.

Greez from saxonia

M.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2004

better idea: Get Audacity and load up the WAV and the MP3 in separate windows and look at the little wavelength thingy and see if it looks different when you compare the WAV and the MP3 side by side.

Download Audacity for free. A free multi-track audio editor and recorder. Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Comment

• bosey
                          • Mar 2005

dl'd audacity - nice piece of open source software! the traces were as good as identical but not clipping anywhere.

now for the own-up....i analysed the two tracks & realised that the high frequencies were opened up in the wav version...er, a fact not helped by the eq settings in my nforce soundcard!!! doh! i had the high-mid & high end tweaked up to brighten up my mp3's - when a wav was played thru it was like a treble boost....and then another treble boost i'm guess the sound chip couldn't handle this and that was where i started getting vocal/high end dropouts.

i have flattened it out and now the wav sounds like it ought to.

thats the thing with machines - humans always interfere :p

thanks for your input all, at least i've found an intersting forum :komisch12
                          Last edited by bosey; 03-15-2005, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

LOL! Another code 18 then :D

Comment

• neilthecellist
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2004

what's code 18? (i've googled already and found nothing)

Comment

• ChristinaS
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                                what's code 18? (i've googled already and found nothing)
                                Error occurred due to whoemever is sitting 18 inches in front of the screen...... :D

Comment

Working...

]]>