title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dBpowerAMP and CD Tag History Backup

Question dBpowerAMP and CD Tag History Backup

When i re-wrote (last reason is that my HDD goes broken) my CD albums Tags or download modify from freedb i know that dBpowerAMP wrotes all those Tags to CDPlayer.ini file into windows directory. But i am very lazy to all time write and spell check all those infos when i new time write my music files for some reason (Better quality, system failure, format change or something other reason). So is Tag history backup so simple that i only copy CDPlayer.ini file to other backup location? Does CDPlayer.ini keep all my album history inside, or has it some kind "maxium size limit" and it keeps only some number latest albums?

Sorry my English.
    And thanks for help!

Administrator

Re: dBpowerAMP and CD Tag History Backup

It does have a size limit, but for most people you will not reach it.

dBpoweramp Guru

out of curiosity, Spoon, what is the size limit?

Exclamation Re: dBpowerAMP and CD Tag History Backup

Seems that my CD collection is bigger than cdplayer.ini can keep. :-( So other possibles backup those track infos? Perhaps own database? How do it?

Administrator

An offline freedb database (but submissions/chages have to go to freedb then download a month later in a update).

I can't find any freedb server softwares for Windows XP...

Do anybody known any?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mikkokh
    I can't find any freedb server softwares for Windows XP...

Do anybody known any?

ftp://ca.freedb.org/pub/freedb/freedb-win-20050408.rar

Seems be that this archive does not contain any binary files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Maybe I will sound stupid. What is a binary file?

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    Maybe I will sound stupid. What is a binary file?
    Google, my boy, Google!

Binary - something containing binary information - non human readable (which is ASCII, or text). Executable files are binary (any file with .exe as the extension for instance). Compiled programs (as opposed to their source code) are binary.

dBpoweramp Guru

No I mean, I googled and I don't understand that definition

No I mean, I googled and I don't understand that definition
    You are acquainted with the decimal numbering system. Ten digits from 0 to 9 to represent any numerical value. Otherwise called "base 10".

Binary is another numbering system, base 2. Binary strings consist of digits which can each have 2 possible values: 0 or 1. Hexadecimal (base 16) strings have digits that can have 16 possible values: from 0 to F. F means 15 in our decimal world.

Hex digits are 0 to 9 and then A to F for the values 10 to 15 - for a total of 16 possible values.

You will hopefully study this stuff in mathematics (you should have done so by now I think, but maybe they've degraded the school system a lot since my days )

Ok, machine language is not text you can read. A computer only understands simple numbers and they are represented by bits - each one is either off (value 0) or on (value 1) - thus it is a binary system.

For anything to run on a computer it ultimately has to become machine language.

Also an image file or an audio file are not text, they are binary data. Just open either a .exe file, or a .mp3 or .jpg file in Notepad and see if you can actually read much meaningful stuff from it. Oh, there may be sequences of recognizable text, but the bulk isn't, since it's machine language or raw data and what you see is what the editor thinks they translate to as printable characters.

For ease of communication, at times we say something is hexadecimal data - it really refers to the same thing, just a different representation. A single hex digit can represent values which would take 4 binary digits to express, so it's a more compact representation. The machine itself still "thinks" in binary, since hex is too complex to work with. Think of a light bulb: it's either on or off - so it's like a bit. But what would you say about a hex digit? It's said to be off when all its bits are off, but on is a different matter, with many intervening values.

Oh, and a byte is 2 hex digits together or 8 bits. So it can represent values from 0 to 255. This is also what (2**8 - 1) is. or 16**2 -1. See the trend? The number of values for a digit to the power of how many digits you're dealing with, minus 1 since we start at 0.

Hey, stop me or I can go on forever with this thing :D Besides I'm all rusty in this anyway

dBpoweramp Guru

maybe we should talk about this over PM so as not to disrupt the flow of the thread. send me a PM

maybe we should talk about this over PM so as not to disrupt the flow of the thread. send me a PM
    Neil, if you want to PM me, go ahead, or catch me in MSN.