title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

View Poll Results: How long have you used dbPowerAmp?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 6 months

1 8.33%
  • About a Year

1 8.33%
  • 1-2 years

3 25.00%
  • 3+ years

7 58.33%

Thread: How Long?

How Long?

I was talking to Neil earlier and was intrigued by a question he asked me: How long has dbPowerAmp been around. Since I had only used the program for... 2-3 years, I had no idea. Spoon, when did you first release dbPowerAmp and what was your reasons behind doing so?

Now, a question for the rest of us: How long have we used dbPowerAmp, either the Audio Player or the Music Converter?
    Also, how did you hear about dbPoweramp?

As for me, like I said, I've used dMC for 2-3 years and dAP for... about 6-8 months. I heard about it from a friend who recommended it to me as being better than my current ripping program, CDex. Yes, this is the same audiophile friend I've spoken of before.
    Last edited by LtData; 03-03-2005 at 02:44 AM.

Re: How Long?

Seems to me I've known of dBpowerAMP forever, but upon checking my downloaded files folder contents I found the original installation package - version 6, from March 2003. So this makes it barely 2 years.

I have no memory of what if anything I was using before dMC. I have never been big on ripping cd's anyway, usualy maybe just macking a full copy of a cd by using Nero. So the reason I got it originally must have been in order to convert audio files to mp3 most likely. Although I seem to recall having a more pressing need at the time to convert wav to wma, as that was the format required for music to be posted on the Acidplanet website. WMP could only do this from audio cd's, and I didn't much feel like burning a cd every time I needed a wma file. Before long just because so many other things are available through dB, I started using most programs and features and have stockpiled all sorts of codecs LOL! Yes, I'm a packrat :D Anybody needs dMC version 6? It must have antique value for sure by now :D

dBpoweramp Guru

well i can barely remember when Spoon's first music player was shuffler. i think that was around 1999 - 2000? and back then it was illustrate.org and not dbpoweramp. back then Spoon also had a forum run by "ezboard" and i think i was his first moderator on the forums. it wasn't that busy back then accept for a few colorful characters :D , as i recall one guy who had at least 5 different personalities. and believe it or not i found Spoon's old visual tutorial!!! check it out

http://web.archive.org/web/200102030...mp.com/dmc.htm
    Last edited by Razgo; 03-04-2005 at 03:04 AM.

Administrator

Ah the good 'ld days, things seemed somewhat simpler back then.

well there were a few similar threads to this one...

I do have it a long time, though not sure just how long... QM, the 32bit version was first built in summer of 2003... I looked in my profile and it says I joined the forum 10-17-2002, and it was not long after installing dap... I had dmc before it and that's how I found dap... so not full 3 years, anyway

oh and the links that razgo put on.. man I didn't yet have a PC in the time that hapened... :D

dBpoweramp Guru

I downloaded dMC and dAP in early 2002. I think it was dMC-r3 & dAP-r1.

I was just browsing for some recording software and found the best right off the bat.
    "dBpowerAMP". The name just sounded like quality stuff. Yep. It sure was.
    dAP-r1 was already running rings around everything back then in my opinion.

I never had a need to join the forum until October 2002 simply because
    Spoon's Excellent Help pages explained everything I needed to know.

What a concept. Someone reading the Help sections included with the software. :D

yup it sure is a weird concept, as far as I know... even more if the person reading is not a programmer(they sometiems do take on some weird concepts)