title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cannot use cd ripper with CD in Sony Firewire drive

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grrrrr8
    • Feb 2005

Cannot use cd ripper with CD in Sony Firewire drive

I have SPA, and Power Pack installed.

With my internal Hitachi CD-R drive everything works great. But with with my Sony DRX-500ULX as soon as I push the button to Rip the CD, the program crashes. Sometimes I get the Blue Screen of Death. sometimes windows gives me an error message.

the error messages include stuff like:

"NV_4disp driver got caught in an infinite loop...stop: 0x000000EA..."
    [BTW that would corrospond to my NvidiaGeF4 ti 4600 w/ 128 mb ram.
    I do have the recommended driver installed for it]

and this:

"... turn off any any bios caching, or shadowing..., try a different display adapter."
    [BTW, i have enough system resources, I'm running xp-home, P-4 with 1GB ddr ram. ]

and this windows error lock up (not blue screen):

"Error signature
    szAppName: Drivers.Display szAppVer: 10DEO250A200371545
    szModName: nv4_disp.dll szModVer: 6.14.10.453 Offset: FD1E06EA"

As you see, it implicates the nvidia driver here too, however there is no problem when I use the hitachi drives (either of them DVD-Rom and CD-R)

It's a puzzle! The simple solution is: Just use the Hitachi drives!!!, however the Sony is probably superior tecnically, and it should work. It works with Nero 6 Ultra, WMP-10, DVDxCopy, and my Dantz back up software. Any chance there is a simple solution?

-Grrrrr8
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Cannot use cd ripper with CD in Sony Firewire drive

Have you gone through the various options for Cd Communication?

Or can you read from this drive using Windows Explorer and dMC by itself, rather the dMC Audio CD Input?
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 02-23-2005, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• Grrrrr8
      • Feb 2005

Hi-

1) Yes, I only have two choices listed, 2000/NT limited, and 2000/NT device IO

2) It happens the same whether I use the Converter or the CD-Grabber. (BTW, I sort of prefer the Converters interface over the Grabber, only, I guess you have to use the CD grabber in order to get the track info off of the internet).

all three of the drives have "enable digital output" checked, so i guess that is the right setting. Back to the old drawing board!

- Grrrrr8

Comment

• Grrrrr8
        • Feb 2005

There is another problem, and it seems to be getting worse. CD Grabber sometimes cannot find the audio disk. Originally I thought the problem was confined to CD Grabber, but I now think it is connected to yet another symptom. I just put a cd into the Hitachi DVD drive just to compare the behavior with the other drives. at first I thought it was working. It listed 10 tracks, .cda, with no titles just track numbers. But it is not seeing the tracks after all. All ten tracks have 1 kb for file size.

This almost, but not quite rings a bell with me. It seems like sometime in my dim past I have seen programs go a little haywire when you move a file out of a folder, or drive, once they store it in their database that it should come from somewhere else. i'm wondering if the software saves some temp data until it completes its task. since it never completed the task maybe it is confused? I know I am! back to the old drawing board.

-Grrrrr8

-----------------
        Sorry, I guess I jumped to a conclusion on that one. I guess the 1 kb files are just temporary files before the actual file is encoded. Yes it did work! It did 192 kb Lame at about 7x in real time. that seems decent for a 1.8 ghz computer. The other part though still stands, CD grabber cannot find the disk. I can push refresh till the cows come home...it just won't find it in either Hitachi drive. It wants it back in the sony so it can give me the BSOD!
        Last edited by Grrrrr8; 02-23-2005, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Grrrrr8
          Sorry, I guess I jumped to a conclusion on that one. I guess the 1 kb files are just temporary files before the actual file is encoded. Yes it did work! It did 192 kb Lame at about 7x in real time. that seems decent for a 1.8 ghz computer. The other part though still stands, CD grabber cannot find the disk. I can push refresh till the cows come home...it just won't find it in either Hitachi drive. It wants it back in the sony so it can give me the BSOD!
          Did you select the other drive under "Options"?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Have you tried updating the motherboard firmware and graphic card drivers / firmware? starting the cd ripper shouldn't touch the graphics card (well cause it to crash).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Grrrrr8
              • Feb 2005

Data- I only have four options under options and I don't see one that would select which drive to use. they are:
              -standard CD player emulation
              - character replacement
              - submit accurteRip Results
              - Accuraterip results

I don't know what the first two are exactly...

Spoon-
              It occurred to me that i could update my MoBo bios, but I have never done that procedure, and I understand that it is quite risky. (There is an update available through gateway download page. they don't indicate what the update updates however, and the online tech said "i don't advise you to update the bios"

As to the video card, I updated the card to the latest driver that gateway supports. I asked the tech about updating with manufacturer drivers, and again he seemed not to like the idea. Does a video card have updateable firmware, or is that the same as the driver. The video driver issue has haunted me for a long time because the card Nvidia GeForce4 ti 4600 was purchased (along with the computer) in 2002. the driver update is from July of 2002. I would expect it to have a more updated driver. GeF4 was a top card when it came out. Still, until now no problems with it. Very ecently its built in fan burned out, but i have a new fan on it now. It is possible there could be a connection. about to try it out with its new cooler.

-Grrrrr8

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Data- I only have four options under options and I don't see one that would select which drive to use. they are:
                -standard CD player emulation
                - character replacement
                - submit accurteRip Results
                - Accuraterip results

It occurred to me that i could update my MoBo bios, but I have never done that procedure, and I understand that it is quite risky. (There is an update available through gateway download page. they don't indicate what the update updates however, and the online tech said "i don't advise you to update the bios"

As to the video card, I updated the card to the latest driver that gateway supports. I asked the tech about updating with manufacturer drivers, and again he seemed not to like the idea. Does a video card have updateable firmware, or is that the same as the driver.
                Click on the options button itself to bring up another options window.

Upating the BIOS, it can be risky, yes, BUT if you are having problems with your current BIOS, you might need the upgrade. Is there somewhere that it says all the changes that were made, or bugs that were fixed?

As for the graphics driver, update with nVidia's driver off of their main page. If it doesn't work, you can always switch back. Normally, though, nVidia's driver will be fine.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

be sure to select the correct nVidia drivers , too, although most of them are universal drivers on the Geforce selection or whatever, so you raelly shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

• Grrrrr8
                    • Feb 2005

Lt. Data-

Boy is my face red! I though pushing the arrow next to options was the way to see the options. Now I see that clicking on the options gives you a bunch of...well, options. It sees alll 4 cd drives so that is solved. the options to have spin up time and slower ripping rates theoretically might help, although I'd be surprised if the cd player cant figure that out itself, i will give it a try in a minute.

Spoon: Just a thought. Anyone consider red flashing letters on the option button saying "push here"....

As to the driver, I went to great lengths to download drivers that microsoft has certified. (I guess I am a sucker for their controlling tactics) I tried the first driver. I got the BSOD, but a new message at least, and it did encode for a few seconds...the error said

IRQL_NOT_LESS-OR_EQUAL

check any new hardware or software is properly installed...

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xC0395BCO,....)

ect, ect,....

okay, so I will try the other two drivers that Microsoft has blessed, then I will try NVidias drivers. I am beginning to think I am on the right track. It is strange that this is the only software it doesnt like. I mean it doesn't seem like a program that is graphics intensive, but somehow its happening.

Anyway, here goes something

Grrrrr8

PS - for those of you that wonder, does a video card really need a built in fan, or is it just for looks? believe me, it really needs it.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

PS - for those of you that wonder, does a video card really need a built in fan, or is it just for looks? believe me, it really needs it.
                      Most of them do need a fan, yes. I can testify that a vid card with a broken fan results in weird things.

Anyway, make sure you uninstall your current vid driver (normally from add/remove programs), restart, then install the new one and restart again. Otherwise, weird things happen.

Also, nVidia has drivers that are WHQL certified aka blessed by Microsoft.

Comment

• Grrrrr8
                        • Feb 2005

Well, the question I am now asking myself is why am I wasting my time on this? I should just place the audio cd's into either of the Hitachi drives and bob's your uncle. The rate that the CD's can be read is far greater than the rate at which the processor can encode MP3's especially at the bitrates that I use. I should be at least waist deep in playing with SPA and dAP by now. Hell, I havent even picked out a freaky skin yet.

For the record, I updated my mother board's chipset software. None of the video drivers helped. The BIOS is the only likey cure that is left. I found some info on the BIOS update and it looks very much like it could make the difference. I really only hesitate because I have to let the software create a boot-up disk for XP. I don't know why, but XP seems to by very difficult when it comes to booting to floppys. Personally, I have never done it and had it work the way it should. I dont see why I couldn't boot to a CD instead, but the instructions say use a floppy.

Anyway, I want to start playing music again so I think I will put BIOS out of my mind for a while. Remember the line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

"When danger reared it's ugly head, Robin turned and bravely fled!"

-Grrrrr8

Comment

Working...

]]>