title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: can't convert files with mp3pro decoder codec

can't convert files with mp3pro decoder codec

i've installed your mp3pro decoder and set the winamp plug-in, following the installation instructions "to the letter".

when i attempt to convert files from mp3 or mp3pro format, the process appears to start, but then locks, with no further apparent progress.

encoding to mp3pro with the CLI encoder works fine.

encoding to and from mp3 with the old mp3 codec worked fine, and still does when i reinstall.

please help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: can't convert files with mp3pro decoder codec

Quote Originally Posted by waunganol
    i've installed your mp3pro decoder and set the winamp plug-in, following the installation instructions "to the letter".

when i attempt to convert files from mp3 or mp3pro format, the process appears to start, but then locks, with no further apparent progress.

encoding to mp3pro with the CLI encoder works fine.

encoding to and from mp3 with the old mp3 codec worked fine, and still does when i reinstall.

please help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You say that "encoding to mp3PRO with the CLI encoder works fine." Since that is the only mp3PRO encoder available at Codec Central, I'm a bit puzzled about exactly what problem you are having.

Incidentally, converting a file from mp3 format to mp3PRO format will not give you any better audio quality, but it could give you worse, depending on the bitrate and other variables of the mp3 file.

You also need a valid mp3pro codec from Thompson mp3pro audio player - Maybe that's your problem, you don't have that.

When you use the Locate button, do you find it?

I find mine at C:\Program Files\THOMSON mp3PRO Audio Player\mp3PROplayer.exe and I rather forget when and how it got there, but it's pretty old :p

Thanks for responding.

However, as i mentioned in my first post, my problem is specifically with the mp3pro decoder - which is designed to be used jointly with the winamp mp3pro plugin for the most effective decoding of mp3pro files by the dbpoweramp player and converter. Additionally it replaces the older mp3 decoder for standard mp3 files.

My point is that the player seems to use it ok, but it fouls up the converter, preventing the conversion of either mp3pro or mp3 files.

Perhaps this decoder is not really intended for use with the converter, although the description on the website implies that it is.

Since i keep a last ditch emergency backup of my whole music library in mp3pro format, for compaction purposes, it would be good to know that i could decode it for whatever purpose in the future.

I could do it with MusicMatch - but since every other function of dMC has worked brilliantly for me just from right click in explorer, i just wondered if this was a bug or an oversight in dMC - or whether i've screwed up somewhere.

Regards from Wales.

p.s. i'm not usually this long-winded - just long-in-the-tooth

Not sure we are referring to the same codec. Those used by dMC have to reside in dBpowerAMP's folder.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by waunganol
    Thanks for responding.

However, as i mentioned in my first post, my problem is specifically with the mp3pro decoder - which is designed to be used jointly with the winamp mp3pro plugin for the most effective decoding of mp3pro files by the dbpoweramp player and converter. Additionally it replaces the older mp3 decoder for standard mp3 files.

My point is that the player seems to use it ok, but it fouls up the converter, preventing the conversion of either mp3pro or mp3 files.

Perhaps this decoder is not really intended for use with the converter, although the description on the website implies that it is.

Since i keep a last ditch emergency backup of my whole music library in mp3pro format, for compaction purposes, it would be good to know that i could decode it for whatever purpose in the future.

I could do it with MusicMatch - but since every other function of dMC has worked brilliantly for me just from right click in explorer, i just wondered if this was a bug or an oversight in dMC - or whether i've screwed up somewhere.

Regards from Wales.

p.s. i'm not usually this long-winded - just long-in-the-tooth

Well, it's being from Wales that is the problem...right? (just kidding!.....it's a beautiful country)

If you send me a private message I will give you my email address and then you can send me a file that you can't convert and I will see if I can convert it.

Cheers,
    Arnie