title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Disable "Higher Priority" Warning

dBpoweramp Enthusiast brandonjp's Avatar

Disable "Higher Priority" Warning

"Warning setting a higher priority could slow down CD ripping (2nd thread reads from CD)."

First off...what does the part about "2nd thread" mean?

Next...is there away to disable this message?

Re: Disable "Higher Priority" Warning

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjp
    "Warning setting a higher priority could slow down CD ripping (2nd thread reads from CD)."

First off...what does the part about "2nd thread" mean?

Next...is there away to disable this message?
    Set priority of conversion below normal or your whole conversion will slow down to a crawl and possibly some conversions won't complete.

You don't want to turn off this message, you want to pay attention to it

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Set priority of conversion below normal or your whole conversion will slow down to a crawl and possibly some conversions won't complete.
    Wrong....I often switch it to "Above Normal" so that it will complete quicker. I'm often not doing anything else on the computer; however, even when I am, the higher setting gives it priority over other things running, thusly it usually finishes faster than when set to "Normal"

You don't want to turn off this message, you want to pay attention to it
    Wrong...I DO want to turn this message off. I've been using dMC for more than two years and I'll sometimes use dMC 20+ times a day. I don't remember getting this message in previous versions of dMC.

I know what the priority setting does....I just don't know what "2nd thread" means. More importantly I don't know why this message keeps popping up, especially since I'm not even ripping from a cd.

I know what the priority setting does....I just don't know what "2nd thread" means. More importantly I don't know why this message keeps popping up, especially since I'm not even ripping from a cd.
    When you rip a CD, dMC is running two thread: MusicConverter.exe to convert the rip, and CDGrab.exe to rip the CD. You adjust the priority of MusicConverter, thereby hurting CDGrab if you set it to anything above "Normal".

Question Re: Disable "Higher Priority" Warning

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    When you rip a CD, dMC is running two thread: MusicConverter.exe to convert the rip, and CDGrab.exe to rip the CD. You adjust the priority of MusicConverter, thereby hurting CDGrab if you set it to anything above "Normal".
    Makes sense for the "2nd thread" question. I wonder why I'm getting this message then when I'm not ripping a CD, but just converting wav to mp3 (or whatever to whatever)??

Wrong....I often switch it to "Above Normal" so that it will complete quicker. I'm often not doing anything else on the computer; however, even when I am, the higher setting gives it priority over other things running, thusly it usually finishes faster than when set to "Normal"

Wrong...I DO want to turn this message off. I've been using dMC for more than two years and I'll sometimes use dMC 20+ times a day. I don't remember getting this message in previous versions of dMC.

it posp up ebcause it is defined in teh converter, not the ripper.

And it all depends on what other things you may be doing with your pc, as well as to what you're converting. Maybe also resources you have. It is documented that it's best to use normal or below normal priority of conversion. It's a warning for all those who complain that it's going slowly despite setting it high - when they would get better and faster results by setting it low. This is documented abundantly through the forum.

But .... if you're convinced that this is not the case, so be it. :D

Maybe your'e thnking about the "slow ripping" option.

it posp up ebcause it is defined in teh converter, not the ripper.
    understood, but that's why I'm posting here in the support forum, because I'm not ripping a cd whenever it pops ups + I'd like to know if there's a way to disable this warning....

(plus it bothers me that there's no punctuation between "Warning" and "setting") (I'm joking - kind of...ultimately I don't really care about that)

It's a warning for all those who complain that it's going slowly despite setting it high
    I'm not one of those. If there isn't a way to disable it, maybe it'd be a nice option for PowerPack users.

when they would get better and faster results by setting it low. This is documented abundantly through the forum.

But .... if you're convinced that this is not the case, so be it. :D
    I'm convinced... and here's why:
    1 - I've used this program and this function quite a lot.
    2 - The 'Priority' setting in dMC functions very similar to the way Windows allows you to change priority for any running program from within the Task Manager (granted that you get a warning from Windows as well when setting above normal) (that's why I'd say in dMC it should be a PowerPack feature to disable the message)
    3 - Although a very quick and not at all a thorough test, here's a conversion of 11 .wav files into .mp3 - each went into a separate folder so there was no overwriting - and I did a single conversion between each set so that I could change the priority (allowing the entire set of 11 to start the conversion with the selected priority) - the only thing that happened during conversion was that I pressed the "Print Screen" button to get the screenshot - but did nothing else during conversion and made no other system changes/no other running programs.

LOW:

NORMAL:

HIGH:

A couple notes:
    - under the progress bar, the "XXx Real-time Encoding" is not an accurate assesment based on my quick test (obviously since Low and Norm have the same speed)
    - there's not a huge difference between any of the three settings, however when converting some very LARGE files, the HIGH does make a difference (although I usually only run at "Above Normal")
    - HIGH does make a considerable difference on processor usage, so much that even here you can see it didn't even have a chance to update the progress bar (and at times I have had other programs running while setting dMC with a priority of "Above Normal" or "High" - the other programs will often become unresponsive until the conversion finishes - which makes perfect sense considering that I'm choosing to give dMC the highest priority and deeming it worthy of receiving the bulk of my cpu power in such a case)

Maybe your'e thnking about the "slow ripping" option
    Nope

Now back to my original questions:
    Why is this popping up when I'm not ripping from a CD?
    Is there a way to disable it?

Also, when was this warning introduced? Is it new to dMC Release 11.1?
    --bp

Oh, it must be the latest release, as so many people have had problems converting at high or even normal priority, that Spoon must have gotten tired of always advising them to lower the priority :D

I've not seen it myself, since I convert at below normal - and I'm plenty happy with it.

Administrator

Do you switch alot between the different priorites? I didn't think anyone would.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    Do you switch alot between the different priorites? I didn't think anyone would.
    I do, but I'll have to follow it for a day to figure out when/why - I do it without even thinking. One reason would be when I'm working with large files, I'll pause or idle to take care of something else then go back to above normal.