title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Add Feature to Automatically Rename Files

dBpoweramp Enthusiast brandonjp's Avatar

Add Feature to Automatically Rename Files

whenever I convert (for example) from APE to WAV, but already have a file in that folder with the same name....it'd be handy to have an option to either overwrite the old, cancel conversion, or automatically rename the new file.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Add Feature to Automatically Rename Files

it will do that if the file nam eis the same. but your example is from one file type to another. so it won't see it as the same if they are two different file extensions ape to wav

but ape to ape or wav to wav it will pause with an option to overwrite or rename. the only other way would be if dmc could detect the first part and not the file extension. and yeh i guess that could be cool, but maybe confusing too.

well...i think we're saying about the same thing...for example i've got 4 folders and each has in it: 01.ape, 02.ape, 03.ape

when converting these all to wav, I'd like them all to go into the "New Wavs" folder...but i wish there was a way to automate renaming so that I didn't have to manually rename 01-1, 02-1 or whatever. make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjp
    well...i think we're saying about the same thing...for example i've got 4 folders and each has in it: 01.ape, 02.ape, 03.ape

when converting these all to wav, I'd like them all to go into the "New Wavs" folder...but i wish there was a way to automate renaming so that I didn't have to manually rename 01-1, 02-1 or whatever. make sense?
    You set the destination folder before starting the conversion.

The output file takes the name of the input file but with a extension of the file type. If the output file exists, of course you ahve to either confirm replacement or change the name of the outut file. This is safer that deceidin at the start that you'll always replace. Invariably there will be times wheer you'd get the destiantion folder wrong and you'll end up maybe overwriting somethine else.

As for deciding to rename in the begining, it would require a rather extensive method of numbering versions of a file. Not a very satisfactory solution in my opinion. I don't know, but I personally prefer to control this fully. A prompt is best.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    You set the destination folder before starting the conversion.
    Right, and I did
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonjp
    I'd like them all to go into the "New Wavs" folder
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    I personally prefer to control this fully. A prompt is best.
    Me, too! But I'd like to control it by giving dMC (maybe PowerPack?!?!?) some sort of renaming convetion to follow when needed. A final confirmation before it proceeds to renames would even be fine.