title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Linux

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Linux

Well, after a few months of me saying that I would do it, I have done it. I have installed and am currently running Gentoo Linux on my laptop. Now before everyone asks me for advice, I was only able to do this with the help of a good friends who knows a lot about Gentoo. Now mabye I can investigate the behavior of dMC and mabye even dAP in Wine.
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Linux

i webt down that track a while ago. i tried knoppix, lindows, damsmall linux, mandrake, etc....

in the end i settled for the paid version redhat linux. however after a few months it was back to windoes again as i got sick of trying to find drivers and support for common software. there is no way i could have set up my wi-fi in linux as easy as winXP did it. as for starters at the time linux didn't suppoert the hardware i bought. so you have to first see what linux supports and then get the appropiate software hardware.

but hey linux is a good learning tool and i enjoyed using it. i fi went back it would be suse pro i would use.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Razgo
      there is no way i could have set up my wi-fi in linux as easy as winXP did it. as for starters at the time linux didn't suppoert the hardware i bought. so you have to first see what linux supports and then get the appropiate software hardware.
      Thankfully Intel recently released Linux Drivers for Centrino laptops, so now I have to try to get that working.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2004

I decided to go dual-boot with the new machine I finished a month or so ago. It's running SuSE 9.3 x86_64 Pro and Win XP. I'm really surprised that I paid for a Linux distro, but hey, it almost seems worth it, and the student discount was pretty decent. Besides, Fedora Core 4 apparently isn't sticking to the 6 month per release timeline they were planning on.

I'm really liking SuSE, it's quite friendly and I really like the way it handles updates/installs. Its got its own "Control Panel" where you can manage software updates, installs, and removals. Its called YaST I believe... It's awfully nice, and I *think* I'm seeing a little performance boost due to the install being built for the 64bit processors. KDE 3.4 looks awesome! Very slick. Most of the icons and logos kind of look like polished orbs, and as though a light were shining on it from an angle. Alas, even with all that prettiness I still can't get MonoDevelop to magically install/work. :yawn:

Comment

• Joseph
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2002

I like mandrake. I install linspire 5 for clients. They love it cause it's so easy. It looks like windows, and everything is automatic.

Comment

Working...

]]>