title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thinking about building my PC for first time.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferris209
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2003

Thinking about building my PC for first time.

Pretty self explanatory, here's my idea's. Please feel free to give any suggestions or comments. The idea is for a completely revved Computer for amature music creation. As well as CD archiving and, of course, this will sort of revolve around Spoons Software. I already have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro and a Logitech Z-680 speaker system. I also already have a Thermaltake 420W PSU I bought a couple weeks ago, was going to upgrade my current pc, but I said what hay. I could not narrow down to a good Monitor, so I'm open in that field, I'm thinking on going from my CRT to an LCD flat panel.

Case
    Buy Cooler Master Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 Silver All Aluminium Alloy ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Motherboard
    Buy ASUS P4P800SE Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

CPU
    Buy Intel Pentium 4 3.2E - Pentium 4 Prescott Single-Core 3.2 GHz Socket 478 Processor - BX80546PG3200E with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Video Card
    Buy ATI Radeon X600PRO 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 All-In-Wonder Video Card 100-714131 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

RAM
    Buy PQI TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI3200-2048DP with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Hard Drive x2
    Buy Seagate BarraCuda 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Optical

So What do ya'll think of my perfect PC plan?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Thinking about building my PC for first time.

First, your videocard you selected is a PCI-Express graphics card, NOT an AGP card. You will need to pick an AGP card for it to work with the motherboard you have selected. Here's an alternative: 9800 Pro AIW for $249: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-297&depa=0
    That's about the only problem I see, it all looks good. However, I am wondering why you are going for 2 1GB sticks instead of 4 512MB sticks, as the 1GB sticks have slower timings than 512MB sticks would. Price? Try getting two of these: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-299&depa=0

Edit: Also, are you not buying a floppy drive? Yes I realize you rarely use them, but you need one to load the SATA drivers for your HDD when installing Windows. Well, I think you do. Intel's chipset implementation of SATA might not require it, but it couldn't hurt to get one for like $12. Even your signature agrees with me. :D
    Last edited by LtData; 01-22-2005, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

>for your HDD when installing Windows. Well, I think you do.

True

The intel processors give out much more heat than equiv AMD 64, think 100 watts compared to 70 watts.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
        The intel processors give out much more heat than equiv AMD 64, think 100 watts compared to 70 watts.
        More like 105-110W as compared to 70-80W. But anyway, about the SATA drivers. I thought I recalled reading somewhere that because Intel integrated the SATA onto the southbridge, it could be read natively by the WinXP installer, but I may be mistaken.

Edit: You don't need a floppy for non-RAID SATA support for the i865 and i875 Intel chipsets. However, they mention some setting that needs changing, and I don't know where to tell you to look for it, or what it even is.
        Last edited by LtData; 01-22-2005, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• ferris209
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2003

Yeah, I picked a Samsung $9 3.5 Floppy drive, I just didn't list it, becuase I tought it was so no frills. Well, I am glad I listed my plans on here, as I've mentioned this is my first venture into building my own pc. I'm glad you corrected me on the video card, I've changed out my wish list on Newegg. I also didn't know that about the ram memory being faster with 512, so I opted to go with four of them like you suggested. Do ya'll think I would be off running an AMD instead of Intel and if so which board and processor would you go with? I work with a college grad in computer science and he said he'll help build the thing. He suggested Intel cause he thinks that I would have a small benefit seeing as how I'm mostly an audiophile. Thanks for all ya'lls help.

Comment

• ferris209
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2003

Hot dawg, that change in memory selection even saved me 80 bucks, awsome!

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Originally posted by ferris209
              I work with a college grad in computer science and he said he'll help build the thing. He suggested Intel cause he thinks that I would have a small benefit seeing as how I'm mostly an audiophile.
              That makes no sense to me, but everyone has their own opinions on Intel vs. AMD. Then again, so does your AC :D . As for recommendations, I'll look at them later. Trying to do about 4 things at once right now. But I will get back to you on that and try to match the prices you currently have. Just one question: Do you currently use a software firewall on your computer?

Edit: One more question: Why 2GB of memory?
              Last edited by LtData; 01-23-2005, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• ferris209
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2003

Yeah, I use the Norton Firewall. I also have the free Zonelabs firewall, but everytime I try to use it it wreaks havoc on my network and internet access (I've tried to re-configure it numerous times without success). As far as the ram, I just believe in getting the best I can get. Plus, I multitask a ton of things, being an musician I'll run a ton of programs at once.
                1. DAP
                2. Cool Edit Pro
                3. Microsoft Word
                4. AP Guitar Tuner
                5. KX Project Audio Mixer
                Plus a couple others, usually all together, so I figure that since I can afford two gigs of Ram, I'd might as well go for it.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Okay, the firewall question turned out to not matter, as that chipset (nForce 250GB) was too expensive. Next question: Do you want gigabit ethernet or can you deal with normal 10/100?

I asked the RAM question because currently Athlon64s cannot have DDR400 in all 4 slots, so you would have to go back to the 2 1GB sticks.

Comment

• ferris209
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2003

The standard Ethernet 10/100 is fast enough for me, my network is wireless anyway and I use one of those WG111T from netgear, so it routes through my USB 2.0 port and doesn't even touch my Ethernet port. Although I may use it in the future seeing as how me and my wife are planning to build a house within the next year and I will more than likely have wired network prewired in. But, getting backon track, 10/100 Ethernet has always seemed more than fast enough for me.

Comment

• monkeyninja
                      • Jan 2005

Hey all,

I'm the CoSci grad that works with Ferris209. The reason I was thinking Intel over AMD (considering I'm an AMDphile myself) was that I had a friend who does recording have myriad problems with his audio card and AMD processor. Now he was using the Echo Gina and Echo Layla under Windows98 with a first-generation Athalon vs. a Pentium III, so its been a while. Probably not an issue nowadays, but I wouldn't wish the hurt my friend Jason went through on anyone.

The big question I have (and haven't researched, since I'm not up on audio software) is whether the 64 bit Athlons would buy any performance increases for the software he's planning on using. Any thoughts?

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by monkeyninja
                        The big question I have (and haven't researched, since I'm not up on audio software) is whether the 64 bit Athlons would buy any performance increases for the software he's planning on using. Any thoughts?
                        Normally, the 64-bit Athlon 64's with the speed rating of the P4s (i.e. 3.2GHz to 3200+) are faster than the P4s. However, it depends on the software.
                        As Spoon said, the main reason we picked A64 was the smaller amount of heat that it outputs.

Comment

• ferris209
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2003

After more research. I'm starting to like the sound of an AMD 64, Monk.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

64 bits shouldn't make any differance, for fun I might make a 64big ogg compile (for Windows xp64), it is SSE and SSE2 that give the biggest boost.

For processors you cannot compare one make with another using different items, each new processor is totally different - over the lsat 10 years I have had bad amd and bad intel. I am currently 100% impressed with the AMD 64 stability (so far), I have programs (such as the accurate rip database creation) which will 100% load the cpu and load the hard drive for 3 hours at a time, not a single BSOD.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ferris209
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2003

Alright after a couple of months of good harcore research and some hesitation, I ordered all of these parts the other day. Recieved it all on Monday and proceeded to put it all togther the last couple days. After a couple little snags and questions. I finally held my breath, crossed my fingers and pushed the power button. AWSOME!!! It worked. Now I am getting over another hurdle. My MB will not recognize the SATA Optical I have installed so, I have to rustle up a PATA CD-Rom to install windows, then I can program the MB to "see" the Plextor DVD/CD burner. It really was a great feeling to see the machine come to life after seeing it a couple days before in pieces. I can't wait to get this baby running and get all of my music on it. I will also be installing a 200 GB PATA Seagate drive I have, so I will have 400 GB. Cool!

Case: COOLER MASTER Praetorian Black ALUMINUM MID-TOWER CASE, Model "PAC-T01-EK"

Motherboard: ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU

PSU: Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro PCI Sound Card

Video Card: Sapphire ATI RADEON 9250 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "100582L" - Retail Lite Box

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor

Memory: Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200

Floppy: Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model SFD321B/LBL1, OEM Drive Only

HDD: Seagate 200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST3200822AS, OEM Drive Only

Media: Plextor 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive, Model PX-716SA/SW

Monitor: LG Electronics L1710SK 17" LCD Monitor -RETAIL

OS:Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 -OEM
                              Last edited by ferris209; 03-21-2005, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>