title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm a programming n00b but i wanna learn stuff about audio

Re: I'm a programming n00b but i wanna learn stuff about audio

yes there are many teachers who really can't think how to teach or are just not motivated enough to do something normal...
    I am on the otehr side most of the time lucky with the teachers I have... and there is one assistent who is also showing us power point presentations, but he is actually cool, and he really is trying hard to make them and explaint them... I think it is probably just the way power point should be used...

dBpoweramp Guru

i hate ppl who can't teach. It doesn't matter HOW they teach it, what kind of materials they use to teach or whatever, it's their inability to get the student to understand. that's the main point. :-)

I like powerpoints, i just hate how they're used in class.

back along the lines of audio compression...a big part of it (from what i understand...i wish i knew a little more in detail of this) is how well the codecs are optimized, which is why if you download the SSE2 version of the ogg codec, it runs HORRENDOUSLY faster than the regular (non optimized) version. On my computer, i can convert an audio file to ogg ALMOST as fast as wav. Btw, neilthecellist, i have NEARLY the same rig as you...768mb ram with (im pretty sure) the same cdrw drive, i just recently threw in a lite on dvd burner, too...those guys make AMAZING drives. my processor is SLIGHTLY faster (2ghz and AMD instead of p4) but my results should be fairly comparable to yours....i can get around 40-45x speed with conversion to wav, and somewhere around 30-35x for conversion to ogg (at least sourced from a cd) I really wish that there was some more optimization thrown into the .la codec, its GREAT for compression, but HORRIBLE for compression time.

Umm.. but your 2GHz AMD will run circles around his 1.8P4. Especially since I think he had one of the early P4s, which is walked on by a 1.66GHz AMD. :D

dBpoweramp Guru

Yeah, your AMD > my Pentium.

Wow, a huge thread bump. Thanks guys!