title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

I'm a programming n00b but i wanna learn stuff about audio

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: I'm a programming n00b but i wanna learn stuff about audio

Originally posted by neilthecellist
    Oh yeah and this guy at school told me that the Dell Dimension 4500 can't have its processor overclocked...Is this true?
    Like I said above, Dell probably locked out the ways that you overclock. Most Dell's in general cannot be overclocked.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

ok fine.

Can someone explain to me what the difference between 1-pass CBR and 2-pass CBR is for Windows Media Audio? Is there a difference in audio quality between the two?

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

ok fine.

Can someone explain to me what the difference between 1-pass CBR and 2-pass CBR is for Windows Media Audio? Is there a difference in audio quality between the two?

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

erm.....i still dont' understand the two differences....

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Did you follow the links to more information?

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
              Did you follow the links to more information?

of course i did. otherwise i wouldn't have made that last post.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

What part of this don't you understand?

Two-pass encoding is an encoding method available with some codecs, like the Windows Media Video 9 codec. When you use two-pass encoding, the codec processes all of the samples for the stream twice. On the first pass, the codec gathers information about the content of the stream. On the second pass, the codec uses the information gathered on the first pass to optimize the encoding process for the stream.
                In the Constant Bit Rate encoding mode, files that are encoded in two passes are generally more efficient than files encoded in a single pass. Quality-based VBR, which is one pass, produces more consistent quality than bit-rate-based VBR, which is two-pass.

You cannot use two-pass encoding on live streams.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

er, does that make 2 Pass Filtering sound better?

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Dec 2004

er, does that make 2 Pass Filtering sound better?
                    It's possible. To me, it sounds like 2-Pass takes a stream, looks at it so it knows what its about to get hit with, and then can make better decisions about how to use resources (CPU & RAM) to deal with what is coming it's way. It's possible that this just speeds things up, and its also possible that this just makes things run much more smoothly. For example, lets say you're going to Canada for vacation in February (why the hell you would do that is something that I may never know), and lets also say youre going to drive. You know that Canada is North of you (I'm in Indiana, hence my example). While you could just hop in a jeep and try driving North over hills, rocks, trees, streams, and small fluffy animals, most of us would rather get a map, and follow a highway. I personally think that that is what 2-Pass does, it basically makes a map for itself of whats in front of it, so it can make sure it know's what it's doing. I could be talking out 'o my ass though... these are just personal opinions.

How long does it take to understand the Ogg Vorbis code? I got the source code but I don't understand it all...

My only programming experience is with Visual Basic......and I've only just started it.
                    It takes about as long as it takes man. If your only experience is really with VB then youre going to have a hard time with it. I'm gonna guess that the Ogg Vorbis code is in C/C++ which is probably pretty difficult if youre only starting VB because theyre pretty much nothing like one another.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2004

WHEE!!! I'm done with vBasic. Just graduated from my computer programming class. in two years, I'm officially taking AP Computer Science, where I'll learn--

OH NO!! They only teach Java, not C++. DAMñIT!!!

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

WHEE!!! I'm done with vBasic. Just graduated from my computer programming class. in two years, I'm officially taking AP Computer Science, where I'll learn--

OH NO!! They only teach Java, not C++. DAMñIT!!!
                        Yup, and Java sucks. The main reason they're doing that is probably the same reason everyone else is, including my college: To make sure you learn Object-Oriented Programming.
                        Last edited by LtData; 02-26-2005, 03:01 AM.

Comment

• donny
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Oct 2002

now don't be so harsh on java, it is a really well done language, and it has almost all of the good sides of C, and a few extra tricks up it's sleeve... mainly the extreme portability, so if you write something in java, it will work on any computer with java virtual machine, not just on windows, but on mac, linux or whatever you're "driving"...

and no I'm not saying that you should quit C and go for java, but that you should show some respect for a very well concepted language, and as another fact it is a lot more easier to teach and learn, because people get lost easily in C, and I think that you would have to agree that it is not for everyone...

C does have it's practical advances such as it is very spread and you can easily find help for any problem you have...

enough with the yapping, I'm done

and yes I do know what is dAP written in, before you ask...

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

dAP was made in C or C++?

isn't Visual C++ object oriented?

Comment

• LtData
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • May 2004

C++ CAN be Object-Oriented at times, but the language does not require it to be. Java forces you to be Object-Oriented.

And as for my dislike of Java, it is mostly the result of the teacher that I had for it. He read us PowerPoint presentations to "teach" us.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Dec 2004

OMG! My vBasic teacher used ppt's to teach us too! It was a nightmare!

Comment

Working...

]]>