title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

iTunes user sues Apple over FairPlay DRM

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

I found this in another fourm, but no link to the original site this came from. Anyway, here goes:

By Peter Cohen MacCentral

Thomas William Slattery has filed a class action suit against Apple Computer Inc. in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, alleging Apple is guilt of violating federal antitrust laws and California's unfair competition law by requiring users who buy music from the iTunes Music Store to use an iPod if they plan to take their music on the road with them. Slattery's suit cuts to the heart of an ongoing issue related to Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology present in commercial downloaded music.

Songs sold through the iTunes Music Store are protected using a DRM technology called FairPlay. Exclusive to the iTunes Music Store, FairPlay enables individually downloaded songs to be played back on up to five Macs or PCs, burnt to an unlimited number of CDs and downloaded to an unlimited number of iPods connected to authorized computers. The DRM technology is lauded by some as a model for the industry, but it has its detractors.

Apple's "unlawful bundling and tying arrangement" of the iPod and iTunes Music Store violates federal and state laws "by suppressing competition, denying consumer choice, and forcing consumers to pay supra-competitive prices for their digital portable music players," says Slattery's complaint, a copy of which MacCentral has received.

The suit indicates that Slattery -- defined as "typical of the claims of this class" -- owns an iPod and has purchased files from the iTunes Music Store.

Playing fair, and FairPlay

One point of contention voiced by critics -- and by the lawyers filing Slattery's suit -- is that Apple hasn't licensed FairPlay to other portable music player makers and music stores: Only iPods can play songs downloaded from the iTunes Music Store, they say.

Apple competitor Real tried to work around the problem with Harmony, a technology that makes songs purchased through Real's own music store look to the iPod like an iTunes Music Store song. Harmony was introduced by Real over the summer and almost instantly decried by Apple as "the tactics and ethics of a hacker". Apple later closed that loop with a software update to the iPod preventing it from using Harmony songs.

By comparison, Apple competitor Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Media Player 10 technology is broadly supported by digital music players and used by some music stores. Microsoft has also begun a testing and branding program called "PlaysForSure," which lets consumers know their music players can play songs encrypted with Microsoft DRM.

This combined effort hasn't greatly improved the marketshare for these products and services, however: Apple continues to reign supreme. Apple has the best-selling MP3 player and the best-selling music store.

Monopolizing the situation

After years as the underdog with dwindling market share for its Macintosh (news - web sites) computer, Apple's become the big dog in the online music business. But with the iPod now the best-selling MP3 player on the market and the iTunes Music Store similarly at the top of the heap of online music stores, some have begun to wonder if Apple is guilty of being a monopoly and abusing its power. And that is one important point of Slattery's class action suit.

"Within the relevant market for online legal sales of digital music files, Defendant Apple, through its iTunes online music store, possesses and has possessed through the Class Period monopoly market power sufficient to exclude competition," reads the complaint, which cites Apple's own estimate of having 80 percent share of the legal music download market as evidence that Apple has a monopoly.

The suit was filed on behalf of Slattery by three separate firms -- the Los Angeles, Calif. firm of Braun Law Group P.C., The Katriel Law Firm, P.C. of Washington, DC and Murray, Frank & Sailer LLP of New York, New York. The suit asks for certification as a class action, and the award of "compensatory and statutory money damages, including trebled damages and punitive damages where appropriate." The suit also asks the court to enjoin Apple from continuing its conduct.

Where does the consumer fit in all this, and what happens if Apple, Real. or Windows. establish PROPRIATORY rights agreements with the major record companies? Real tried that tactic with RealAudio.and Apple seems to be doing the same thing with I-tunes.

Is that ultimately going to mean that consumers are going to have to buy all 3 systems to have access to the music they want and then be able to play them only at home or on their own mp3 player?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: iTunes user sues Apple over FairPlay DRM

Links to the story:
    A disgruntled iTunes Music Store customer is suing Apple for monopolistic …

Now everybody wonders how far this suit will go. Will fair use win?
    Last edited by LtData; 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Fair use should win, but you've got to define that notion first. That's going to take another big case again probably just to clarify.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
        Fair use should win, but you've got to define that notion first. That's going to take another big case again probably just to clarify.
        Indeed. As mention in one of my links, there was a court case recently that said something along the lines that fair use doesn't allow people to circumvent copy protection.

Comment

• Larry!
          • May 2002

Lol! It looks to become common sense, not to say fashion to sue big companies in US.
          The more ridiculous the case, the more rich suer gets. Pathetic, imho. No one forces you to smoke tobacco or buy music via itunes store neither. If a person's unable to take responsibility for his/her actions, he/she should go to some healing institution rofl. What a weird world...)

Comment

• milfzor
            • Dec 2004

well, i can see where the guy is coming from, HOWEVER, there is NOTHING preventing him from burning the cd to a disc (provided he has a cd burner) then ripping it back to the computer as either mp3 or another format that the ipod supports.............

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by milfzor
              well, i can see where the guy is coming from, HOWEVER, there is NOTHING preventing him from burning the cd to a disc (provided he has a cd burner) then ripping it back to the computer as either mp3 or another format that the ipod supports.............
              Yeah, well he's not been to this forum yet to find all the tricks :D

Comment

• Joseph
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2002

Since you can burn your music to a disc, and take it with you anywhere, doesn’t this kind of throw out the whole case since you have that choice? My Mom and Uncle don't have iPods, but they burn their music to cd's and listen to their music in their cars. They use iTunes because they have the largest download catalog consisting of around 1.2 Million songs

I don’t see the need for having your purchased songs play on random digital trinkets a 100% “must have” feature. That’s why I know apple will win.

Comment

• Razgo
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Is that ultimately going to mean that consumers are going to have to buy all 3 systems to have access to the music they want and then be able to play them only at home or on their own mp3 player?
                  i think ultimately the end user will decide and does indeed have a choice. it is these companies i feel are taking the biggest risk. why? ok well let's say the strangle hold on the music industry takes it's toll on the end user and we have all had enough. what will we do?

1. water the garden.

2. we go back to the 80's! boom boxes rock!! :D

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Joseph
                    Since you can burn your music to a disc, and take it with you anywhere, doesn’t this kind of throw out the whole case since you have that choice? My Mom and Uncle don't have iPods, but they burn their music to cd's and listen to their music in their cars. They use iTunes because they have the largest download catalog consisting of around 1.2 Million songs

I don’t see the need for having your purchased songs play on random digital trinkets a 100% “must have” feature. That’s why I know apple will win.
                    Well, it does appear that an inordinate number of people have problems with purchased music, not just from iTunes. Whether it's because they're trying everyhting except the obvious way or something else, I don't know.

It's this lack of explicit instructions which frustrates the average consumer.

If things were so clear-cut and so user-friendly from those providers we wouldn't be having a huge section of the forum dedicated to ways of handling such files, from whatever source.

Even if you disregard those who never read or follow instructions, that still leaves a very large number of dissatisfied consumers.

Comment

• colajoe
                      • Jun 2005

i thought apple and i tunes wee the same entitity

joe

Comment

• colajoe
                        • Jun 2005

i really thought apple made itunes

joe