title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glitch In Compressed wav files

Re: Glitch In Compressed wav files

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    on dialup, .asx files are really....low bitrate....:confused:
    .asx is neither low bitrate or nor high bitrate, since it's just the meta-file (basically a pointer). It's the actual file pointed to it that is or not low bitrate. But because .asx serves little chunck at a time to WMP which WMP can play immediately without waiting for the next chunk to be downloade, streaming is possible. If the actual media file is low bitrate, it will stream smoothly on dial-up, you won't have to wait until it is fully downloaded to hear it or see it.

dBpoweramp Guru

can you save .asx's?

can you save .asx's?
    Yes, but it is only a small text file giving an address to the actual media file, which you may be able to download separately or not depending on the protocol used (http:// is ok, but mms:// will not allow a download by regular means).

Using meta files can help prevent less savvy web surfers from saving a media file directly to their disk, since they'll only end up saving the meta-file. At least until they get a little more educated in this matter, as you are right now

dBpoweramp Guru

lol. thanks christina.

dBpoweramp Guru

wait, what did you mean, christina, by
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Yes, but it is only a small text file giving an address to the actual media file, which you may be able to download separately or not depending on the protocol used (http:// is ok, but mms:// will not allow a download by regular means).

What she means is depending on what the meta-file points to affects how easily it can be downloaded. If it uses http:// to point to a file, the file can easily be downloaded. If it uses mms:// to point to a file, it is a little more difficult to download a file as mms:// streams the file to you.

Hmmmm.... Neil, I'll have to point you (again) to this bit I wrote in the FAQ on meta-files:
    One other important piece of information is relative to streaming servers. In particular how addressing files on them is done. This is quite complex, but in general you can say that if the media file is prefixed by http:// or nothing in particular, then we are not dealing with a streaming server as such. The media file will be downloadable from that address by some means. For instance you copy the full address of the file name and paste it in the browser's address bar and you can access the media file directly. Then you usually can save it to your hard disk from the options available in your player.

If you see something less common like mms:// in front of a file name, then you are dealing with a streaming server and most likely you cannot save the media file directly to disk. In that case you will have to use dMC Auxiliary Input to play the meta file and capture the audio (best to capture to .wav), before you convert to anything.
    So if this isn't any clearer, sorry, it is murky waters and I'm a lousy teacher anyway :D

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    If it uses mms:// to point to a file, it is a little more difficult to download a file as mms:// streams the file to you.
    little more difficult....HOW difficult? Is it even possible?

If you see something less common like mms:// in front of a file name, then you are dealing with a streaming server and most likely you cannot save the media file directly to disk. In that case you will have to use dMC Auxiliary Input to play the meta file and capture the audio (best to capture to .wav), before you convert to anything.
    most likely? Again, is it possible?

little more difficult....HOW difficult? Is it even possible?

most likely? Again, is it possible?
    The SDP program (free) from http://sdp.ppona.com/ can usually capture streaming audio and video from such sites. Kind of tricky to use, but it seems to work in most cases. I've not got around to write a little user guide to it, since I've only used it a few times myself. But I got help with it from somebody in the forum way back when.

There's nothing yet (that I have found or heard of) that can handle streaming media from Real Media servers, those with the procotol rtsp:// in front of the file name . For this you still need need dMC Auxiliary Input or something similar.

dBpoweramp Guru

That's a euphemism to mean that Firefox is unable to handle embedded audio without plugins that don't all work
    Christina, I can hear your embedded music in your homepage. I use Firefox and, so far have not had to install any additional plug-ins. It seems the newest 1.0 version has taken care of that problem.
    Arnie

Quote Originally Posted by adaywayne
    Christina, I can hear your embedded music in your homepage. I use Firefox and, so far have not had to install any additional plug-ins. It seems the newest 1.0 version has taken care of that problem.
    Arnie
    Hmmm, FF 0.8 plays some (.wma for instance), not .mid, and messes up the graphic of the player. And to get it to do that much I had to jump through hoops. Not looking forward to installing 1.0, who knows what I have to redo. I rememebr having to chase for java support at one time.

I don't know why FF seems to think it need the Apple Quiktime plugin to play embedded midi files, when WMP is perfectly capable (and it is my default player) and it's WMP that kicks in IE. Needless to say, my luck with getting those darn plugins installed have been close to 0 so far. I still can't get FF to open embedded PDF files for instance despite the plugin being presumably installed, yet not recognized. Grrr!

dBpoweramp Guru

erm......i dunno what you're talking about. FireFox opens up pdf files in the same window, plays wma, and you don't need quicktime for .midi files. Get 1.0 and see the differences yourself.

Is there any way to associate FireFox with Winamp?

erm......i dunno what you're talking about. FireFox opens up pdf files in the same window, plays wma, and you don't need quicktime for .midi files. Get 1.0 and see the differences yourself.

Is there any way to associate FireFox with Winamp?
    There's a difference betwee between opening in the same window and embedding things on a web page .

My Firefox 0.8 wants a quicktime plugin for embedded midi. It is ok with embedded WMA, but it plays it in an older version of WMP than the one currently installed. Maybe 1.0 is fixed, I'll have to try when I'm brave enough. :D

dBpoweramp Guru

There's a difference betwee between opening in the same window and embedding things on a web page .

My Firefox 0.8 wants a quicktime plugin for embedded midi. It is ok with embedded WMA, but it plays it in an older version of WMP than the one currently installed. Maybe 1.0 is fixed, I'll have to try when I'm brave enough. :D
    i assure you. it is fixed.

I just installed FF 1.0 and it has the same bugs as concerns embedding PDF and midi files.

It wants a special plugin for both. I already have those programs, but it doesn't know them. I keep trying to get them and it takes me to all sorts of palces, downloads stuff and then it goes back to requesting the plugin.

I'm through with FF :vmad:

I only keep it around to see a bit how my web pages look in it - and if I can I fix them, otherwise I'm not wasting my time with it. Too frustrating. There's no rhyme nor reason as to why it's misbehaving. Too quirky for my taste.