title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Glitch In Compressed wav files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Glitch In Compressed wav files

Originally posted by ChristinaS
    OK, my Windows Media selections are scattered all over the place. First of all I have Windows Media Audio V9 appearing twice in the top box. (If one of them may be 9.1, I can't see that since the text is cut off at 9 as nothing more fits beyond that in the little window).

Then for each one I have 5 codecs appearing:
    1) Windows Media Audio 9 Voice
    2) Windows Media Audio 9 Professional
    3) Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless
    4) ACELP.NET
    5) Windows Media Audio 9
    where is the second v9? in your list number 5) should read v9.1 if you have 9.1 installed.

Originally posted by christinas
    The Professional version you are referring to appears in both sets of codecs, but not with the same subselections. Some are indeed hi-fi, but the lo-fi Q10 was found in one of them.
    i referred to the professional version? i think i see which drop down you mean.
    Last edited by Spoons; 01-03-2005, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

i was just going to delete the wma v9 folder in reg edit but.......

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Hmm, my folder Illustrate\dBpowerAMP doesn't look quite the same!

The 4th one is the folder Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Versions\Compression

See, I can't tell if it's V9 or V9.1 ! It just doesn't fit in the window.

Comment

• bob1941
          • Nov 2002

Christina, Razgo, Neil and LT Data - Thank you all for your posts. You've opened my eyes to some viable alternatives to wav. Believe it or not, Razgo, I was posting wave songs rather than voice. Most sounded pretty decent but certainly no where near CD quality. If WMA provides better quality with comparable or smaller files - and our host site can handle it - it would be just what I'm looking for. I'll rip a couple of songs to WMA to see what happens and let you know if the problem pops up on those files too.

I believe I'm leaning toward Christina's recommendations concerning WMA. I'll also take a look at the file size I get with the VBR Q10 setting. I've never used Ogg, however, I'll take a look at it too - just to expand my boxed in mind. lol

Regarding the skip problem, I should add I've tried ripping the same song from 3 different CDs to eliminate any possibility of a bad CD. the results were the same. They all skipped at least once at right about the 34 sec spot on the playback.

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

well.....Q10 is not dialup friendly. not at all. I've been to websites with audio embedded into the web page...I didn't like it because on dialup, Firefox/Internet Explorer literally freezes and I can't surf anymore. I end up having to use Task Manager to close up my internet browser simply because i can't visit a website with audio embedded into it. :( sorry.

Comment

• bob1941
              • Nov 2002

I hear you Neil! Thanks for the comments. I recall visiting a few of those sites too...CTRL-ALT-DEL. lol I don't have Professional anyway.

I did some experimenting today. I ripped some songs from a CD directly into WMA format. I encountered NO SKIPS on the files I direct ripped to WMA. However, when I converted either wav files to WMA or larger WMA files to smaller WMA files, I did encounter the skip problem. By association, I'd say the dBpoweramp Music Converter may be the source of my problem. However, I'd like to hear you guys and gals tell me what you think.

I haven't had a chance to test the WMA files on our alumni site today. It's experiencing technical problems. I hope to get to test them shortly.

Thanks.

Bob

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

does it matter which browser one uses to access audio-embedded web pages??

Comment

• adaywayne
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                  does it matter which browser one uses to access audio-embedded web pages??
                  It can. Over the years, IE has become more forgiving of non-standard code. Firefox is much more strict, or so I have read in the Firefox forums.
                  Arnie

Comment

• neilthecellist
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2004

Hm....i installed the audio plug-in for FireFox....I dunno if it works on cable/DSL tho. I'm on dialup right now. :D :D :lol:

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

That's a euphemism to mean that Firefox is unable to handle embedded audio without plugins that don't all work :D

Unless you've got a screwy installation of IE and/or WMP, IE handles embedded audio of the type that WMP can play very well.

If the file is very large (or the connection very slow) of course there will be sputtering (called buffering), which is where pseudo-streaming techniques come into play, by the use of meta files. For Windows Media you have .wax for audio, .wvx for video and .asx for either - see the explanation I give in the FAQ about meta-files.

One a web page, instead of embedding directly the audio file, be it .wma, .asf or .mp3 or even .mid, you can embed the meta-file that points to the actual audio file. The same way instead of giving a link to an audio file you give a link to the meta-file. Streaming in this case is as good as can be hoped for given the connection (and to some extent the computer's memory and processor speed).

With streaming the size of the file is not important, but rather the bitrate is, in particular as to how it compares to the connection speed.

The connection speed (actually the bandwidth available, if you have other browser windows open, chat or other things) establishes how big a buffer is downloaded every second. If the bitrate is larger than the available buffer size, then you'll be experiencing sputtering. This is why a hi-fi audio file (worse for video), even streamed, will sputter on a dial-up connection. Unstreamed, you'll have to wait for it to be complately downloaded to you HD before it starts playing.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by bob1941
                        Christina, Razgo, Neil and LT Data - Thank you all for your posts. You've opened my eyes to some viable alternatives to wav. Believe it or not, Razgo, I was posting wave songs rather than voice. Most sounded pretty decent but certainly no where near CD quality. If WMA provides better quality with comparable or smaller files - and our host site can handle it - it would be just what I'm looking for. I'll rip a couple of songs to WMA to see what happens and let you know if the problem pops up on those files too.

I believe I'm leaning toward Christina's recommendations concerning WMA. I'll also take a look at the file size I get with the VBR Q10 setting. I've never used Ogg, however, I'll take a look at it too - just to expand my boxed in mind. lol

Regarding the skip problem, I should add I've tried ripping the same song from 3 different CDs to eliminate any possibility of a bad CD. the results were the same. They all skipped at least once at right about the 34 sec spot on the playback.
                        Your host site ought to be able to handle .wma. It may have difficulty with meta-files (.wax or .asx) though. Usually there's a utility for adding more MIME types to a website, available in the webmaster's control panel. If you don't have that, you can upload an .htaccess file that performs this MIME association. Drop me a PM if you need to get this straightened out, I'll be glad to help.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2004

.asx? I thought it was .wma.......:confused: again

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                            .asx? I thought it was .wma.......:confused: again
                            Neil, .asx is a file extension representing a meta-file for windows media file.
                            .asx can be useed both for audio and for video. Otherwise the meta-file extension just for audio is .wax and just for video is .wvx .

I'm explaining some of this stuff in http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992

Meta-files can also be used to make playlists for playing either on your own computer or on the web.

A more complete explanation of ASX : http://cita.rehab.uiuc.edu/mediaplay...-overview.html and the really complete technical explanation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ereference.asp

Comment

• Razgo
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Originally posted by bob1941
                              However, when I converted either wav files to WMA or larger WMA files to smaller WMA files, I did encounter the skip problem. By association, I'd say the dBpoweramp Music Converter may be the source of my problem. However, I'd like to hear you guys and gals tell me what you think.
                              i can't replicate this problem. there should be no skip from wav-wma , but going from wma-wma may encounter or rather will encounter a poorer quality so may result in non perfect conversions.

how long since you have installed dmc? a reinstall may correct this

Comment

• neilthecellist
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                                Neil, .asx is a file extension representing a meta-file for windows media file.
                                .asx can be useed both for audio and for video. Otherwise the meta-file extension just for audio is .wax and just for video is .wvx .

I'm explaining some of this stuff in http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992

Meta-files can also be used to make playlists for playing either on your own computer or on the web.

A more complete explanation of ASX : http://cita.rehab.uiuc.edu/mediaplay...-overview.html and the really complete technical explanation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ereference.asp

on dialup, .asx files are really....low bitrate....:confused:

Comment

Working...

]]>