title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: dBpowerAMP Music Converter R11.5

Re: Beta: dBpowerAMP Music Converter R11.1

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    aren't you supposed to use dMC for converting? not dAP....
    I should make my idea more clear. I mean if dMC treat the filename/path like dAP, it should be no problem when converting files as dAP will read/play those files that dMC doesn't able to convert them.

And I tested dMC with CLI codecs and I found that there's a bug in writing proceduce as dMC can create tempory file but not able to move it to destination.

Administrator

If you have created your own CLI codec, you have to specify [OutFile] as dmc need to set where the converted to file goes.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've seen this happen with that Autov ogg vorbis CLI encoder or whatever.....the file gets created in the temporary folder thingy but doesn't get moved to the final destination.

The temporary file is moved just fine for me using the aoTuV CLI Ogg encoder.

Okay, first of all, I want to say that from what little I have used dbpowerAMP, it seems like a great product and so I decided to try the newest beta as I was having some issues with the system rebooting during the running of the released version.

So, after deciding to reimage my system and install my software anew for other reasons, I decided to try the beta version herein. The redesign is great and work flawlessly, most of the time. It does seem to have some basic issues that I am hoping someone can assist me. Mostly what I am doing is converting some flac, shn, ape and mp3 files to mp3 for my portable player. I mostly have no problems, though the files don't always delete if I tell it to overwrite the files already in the rip to folder. That is one thing. Part of that it seems to crash, with no error during the rip process and also seems to cause Windows to reboot.

The basic specs for my system are as follows:
    XP2800+
    1 gig ram
    XP Pro SP1a and all current patches (not SP2)
    DBpowerAMP Music Converter R11.1, using Lame for MP3 converting
    Radeo 9200SE Video
    SB Live Sound

Those are the basics. Any help anyone could give me would great.

Keep up the great work Spoon, I will continue to use this product and hopefully I can resolve these issues and convert my 500+ files that I am trying to convert.

Thanks, in advance,
    Kris

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Conversation with ChristinaS
    Neil the Cellist: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...6972*post36972
    Neil the Cellist: I can't figure out a solution for this guy.
    christina: let me read it
    Neil the Cellist: ok
    christina: i have no idea - i never ask dMC to delete original files, mind you, never, it's a crazy idea. If something goes bad, you've just lost your orginals
    Neil the Cellist: Well
    christina: don't know why he crashes adn windows would reboot, that's a sick symptom
    Neil the Cellist: A really good wishlist item: When a person selects that "delete original files" checkbox, a popup warning says, "WARNING: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RETRIEVE YOUR ORIGINAL FILES AFTER CONVERSION!"
    Neil the Cellist: I think I just realized why his Windows crashes.
    christina: lol, actually i think there's something liek that
    christina: why does it crash?
    Neil the Cellist: My brother has an AMD 64 3000+, and dMC crashes a lot for him.
    Neil the Cellist: For me, I have a Intel Pentium 4
    Neil the Cellist: And my dMC never crashes
    christina: hmmm, i have never crashed and i have an AMD - but older, slower
    Hm......Well Christina says that she has an AMD but it's never crashed on her......Maybe you could have other programs conflicting with dMC?

Is rip to ram on? I use it and Auto for the size, it works for me.

Slow rip at 4x seems to work better generally, at least for me.

Any pre-selected DPS efects like Normalization?

Do you have extra steps to be executed before or after ripping, as you may define in the Powerpack options in dMC Audio cd input?

Priority of conversion below normal usually helps.

For regular conversions through dMC, deleting source files after conversion is never a good idea - what if the conversion is not acceptable and you want to redo it under diffferent specs?

Also I'd look at the specs of all source files vs output files - bits, frequency, channels. One of them may not agree with the output specs, in aprticual if ever you sue "bits as source, frequency as source, channels as source" settings. You cannot make mp3 with other than mono or 2 channel stereo settings, or frequency more than 44.1KHz, if any of your input files is 5.1 channels or 48KHz, for instance, that won't work.

For the record, my pc runs Windows 2000 pro, latest SP (4 maybe???).
    1.53 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    512 Megabytes Installed Memory
    HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B [CD-ROM drive] - cd burner
    LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S [CD-ROM drive] - dvd burner
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 04-14-2005 at 11:25 PM.

Okay, I typed a wonderful post and as I was trying to test some of the things you all suggested, guess what happened? The computer restarted. I am current trying to do conversion my having nothing run at start up via msconfig. The first time it got through about 4 or 5 files and program unceremoniously crashed. Am trying again, to see what happens.

I now that setting the files to delete on finish is not ideal, but wanted to test the features of the program. And it does warn even when you go to convert that the files are going to be converted. A suggestion, though, if this is going to be an option would be to move them to the recycle bin. Just my 2 3/4 cents.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I really do like what I have seen of this program, so far and would love to use it more.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please told me.

How do you set the max conversion speed to a certain max speed? Also, how do you set it to rip to ram? Since I have 1 gig of ram that might be a great options for me.

Thanks again all,
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by kookykrazee
    Okay, I typed a wonderful post and as I was trying to test some of the things you all suggested, guess what happened? The computer restarted. I am current trying to do conversion my having nothing run at start up via msconfig. The first time it got through about 4 or 5 files and program unceremoniously crashed. Am trying again, to see what happens.

I now that setting the files to delete on finish is not ideal, but wanted to test the features of the program. And it does warn even when you go to convert that the files are going to be converted. A suggestion, though, if this is going to be an option would be to move them to the recycle bin. Just my 2 3/4 cents.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I really do like what I have seen of this program, so far and would love to use it more.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please told me.

How do you set the max conversion speed to a certain max speed? Also, how do you set it to rip to ram? Since I have 1 gig of ram that might be a great options for me.

Thanks again all,
    Kris
    Rip to ram is an option in the Powerpack (the rocket icon) from dMC Audio CD Input.

The ripping speed again is in dMC Audio CD Input> Options under Drive $ptions. 4 and Slow ripping are good settings (for me at least).

The Priority of Conversion appears in the little grreen window when a conversion istaking place (whether from dMC alone or dMC Audio CD Input). The Priority of Conversion is an option at the bottom of that screen. Normal, Below Normal or evel Low are best. Above normal is not recommended.

Have you checked the Windows Event Viewer to see what it says about your crashes? Not that it's very useful but maybe you get an idea.

Try to convert just the file that was being processed when the computer crashed. Maybe you can pinpoint what is happening. Maybe it's in the settingns of that file. Maybe not ....

Administrator

Normally Windows rebooting is because of an overheating processor, or unstable system.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    Normally Windows rebooting is because of an overheating processor, or unstable system.
    Thanks for writing back. I have checked the heat level and it is well below any level that might cause problems and I am not overclocking this system.

I will check the system logs, when I get home, though they don't usually give much help/hope into why.

I have tried ripping the same songs after a fresh reboot and they work fine and it will either crash or reboot on a different file the next time.

I will do some more specific testing this weekend and see if there any more info that I can come up with.

Thanks,
    Kris

I've had weird things happpen with a (somewhat) defective hard drive.

Try running the computer with the side off and a floor box fan blowing on high into the computer. Try to then convert your files. If it still crashes, put your finger on the edge of the CPU heatsink (normally on the top-left of the motherboard, under a big fan). If it is extremely hot to the touch, you need a new CPU heatsink. Find a local geek friend or have a store install it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    I've seen this happen with that Autov ogg vorbis CLI encoder or whatever.....the file gets created in the temporary folder thingy but doesn't get moved to the final destination.
    I think it is because the path may have illegel chars (produced by dMC file name/path generator/convertor), as a result, the temp file can not move the destination. That means there is a bug in the proecdure of making destination filepath/name.