title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this a stupid idea?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Is this a stupid idea?

eh........instant email notification isn't working....

What's the best for DVD ripping? I have CloneDVD, and my brother has DVD X Copy. Is there better out there?

Quote Originally Posted by drspy00
    What you need is a tool called DVD decrypter or smart ripper...
    I've tried DVD Decrypter. The thing is that in DVD Shrink, It was easy to find the video I wanted to rip cuz DVD Shrink has a preview window.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSellers
    Tried that. No go. Strange too, it work in WinDVD.
    Ok, it worked for me with home-made DVD's. Maybe they are encoded a bit differently.

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    eh........instant email notification isn't working....
    It is now. I updated my e-ddress.

What's the best for DVD ripping? I have CloneDVD, and my brother has DVD X Copy. Is there better out there?
    I don't yet have CloneDVD, but if it's as easy as Clone CD, then I'd say go with CloneDVD (assuming it can copy copy-protected DVDs ).

BTW, copying is the correct term here, not ripping. Ripping is the digital extraction of audio and/or video to the user's HDD in a format the user chooses (MP3,WMA, MPG, etc.). Copying is simply making a duplicate of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Ok, it worked for me with home-made DVD's. Maybe they are encoded a bit differently.
    That's the difference. Your talking about a DVD you made yourself. I'm talking about a commercial DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSellers
    That's the difference. Your talking about a DVD you made yourself. I'm talking about a commercial DVD.
    I guess so, however I am not even able to copy the files form a commercial DVD. I copy them but I cannot paste them, I get a message thet the maximum number of scretes has been exceded. THus I cannot try teh thing about renaming the file anyway. I thought since you already have the files, that may work.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I guess so, however I am not even able to copy the files form a commercial DVD. I copy them but I cannot paste them, I get a message thet the maximum number of scretes has been exceded. THus I cannot try teh thing about renaming the file anyway. I thought since you already have the files, that may work.
    most commercial DVDs are encoded with css copy protection so the dvd or parts of it cant be copied without the right software.

dBpoweramp Guru

well, the right software can be put into future dMC creations? How about just making it an add-on that costs a small/medium fee? that would work.

well, the right software can be put into future dMC creations? How about just making it an add-on that costs a small/medium fee? that would work.
    Small? haha! First of all none of the existing DVD rippers are legal probably if they rip protected dvd's. So that pretty much kills it right off the bat.

I believe this would be tons more complex, it wouldn't be a plugin or add-on.

dBpoweramp Guru

Plz correct me if i'm wrong. My brother got his new computer at Chips and Memory.....it was an Athlon 64 3000+ that came with a DVD Burner AND DVD X Copy....it rips protected DVDs.....:confused: If this isn't legal, TELL ME NOW! He ripped one and only one so far.

Plz correct me if i'm wrong. My brother got his new computer at Chips and Memory.....it was an Athlon 64 3000+ that came with a DVD Burner AND DVD X Copy....it rips protected DVDs.....:confused: If this isn't legal, TELL ME NOW! He ripped one and only one so far.
    Good luck getting support or updates for that. 321Studios was sued out of existance. The legality of it was never determined, as 321Studios closed before the trial was finished. Oh well. The legality in question is that it breaks the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) here in America. Something about breaking copy protection.. but here's the rub: DVD X Copy could make a backup copy, yes, but the copy cannot be copied and the copy can be traced to the original person who made the copy. Also, they have the normal legal gibberish about "this being intended to make copies of DVDs you already own." Yea.. that's all it was used for. Sure.

There are two things that will get dbPowerAmp into very fast trouble: Teaching people how to steal cable and giving people the ability to break CSS protection. Neither of these will ever be done. Sorry.

Neil, I just bought it very recently and it's supposed to be a good brand. If I knew why it can't play commercial DVD's I'd not be wondering about it, would I? I have just realized this now, as my main focus wasn't to play commercial dvd's on it but rather to burn my own from my own home-made video clips, which it does OK.

I may not have installed it properly or else the software (PowerDVD) isn't cofigured properly for this, I don't know. I'm plenty upset over this, as you can imagine. :vmad:
    K, it's a boring copy-protection issue with dvd afaik. Even though, that in most countries it's quite legal to remain silent while making backup copy of your dvd. =) And there's alot of soft that allows it to rip all contents off dvd to hdd easily. Doesn't matter if it css or region or both protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry!
    K, it's a boring copy-protection issue with dvd afaik. Even though, that in most countries it's quite legal to remain silent while making backup copy of your dvd. =) And there's alot of soft that allows it to rip all contents off dvd to hdd easily. Doesn't matter if it css or region or both protected.
    Errr.... was referring to just playing a commercial DVD, not copying it in any way. But the problem has been soleved by installing another codec for mpeg2 called Stinky. While I cannot copy such a dvd, I can play the dvd in my dvd player/burner drive, which is as it should be.

Errr.... was referring to just playing a commercial DVD, not copying it in any way. But the problem has been soleved by installing another codec for mpeg2 called Stinky. While I cannot copy such a dvd, I can play the dvd in my dvd player/burner drive, which is as it should be.
    Rofl, i've been pissed off once, when powerdvd 5 was refusing to play some protected dvd because my tv out was connected to tv...
    But that's not even it... The other soft players were refusing to play it too, until i got rid of powerdvd 5 and cleaned up registry...
    :teufel12:
    Last edited by Larry!; 01-06-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry!
    Rofl, i've been pissed off once, when powerdvd 5 was refusing to play some protected dvd because my tv out was connected to tv...
    But that's not even it... The other soft players were refusing to play it too, until i got rid of powerdvd 5 and cleaned up registry...
    :teufel12:
    Well, at this point I have PowerDVD installed, and it now works fine, after the Stinky codec was added. I won't bother with the why's and why not's of it since it finally works.