title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a stupid idea?

Is this a stupid idea?

I've tried a bunch of DVD rippers this week...don't really like any of them, so I was thinking, what about something like dMC Audio CD Input for ripping identifing and ripping specific video from DVDs(e.g: music vidz) to various video formats.

I thought this would be nice cuz dMC is so easy to use.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Is this a stupid idea?

No. I don't think it's stupid. I would support this idea...but aren't there copyright issues over DVDs and stuff like that?

DVDs use encryption called CSS and breaking this will result in a good number of lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    DVDs use encryption called CSS and breaking this will result in a good number of lawsuits.
    All dvd's are not necessarily copy-protected. Home-made ones need not be. :smile2:

But video conversions are a lot more complex than audio conversions, I think, and this is quite outside the current scope of dBpowerAMP.

dBpoweramp Guru

yeah......that's what i meant LtData....

how about making it an "add-on" that costs a small fee?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    All dvd's are not necessarily copy-protected. Home-made ones need not be. :smile2:
    I assumed he was referring to commercial DVDs, but even then there are some independent DVDs that aren't copy-protected. However, the majority of them are. Frankly, if you can play the DVD in your computer, you can always use Auxiliary Input to record the audio as you play the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    I assumed he was referring to commercial DVDs, but even then there are some independent DVDs that aren't copy-protected. However, the majority of them are. Frankly, if you can play the DVD in your computer, you can always use Auxiliary Input to record the audio as you play the DVD.
    I think he's referring to extracting the complete video from the DVD, not just the audio, as we've already covered that ground.

I know for instance that you can get the video from a vcd, it will be a file with the .dat extension adn it will most likely be an actual .mpg file. You get that simply by copying from WIndows Explorerer while exploring that cd drive. I haven't tried, but very likely a similar setup may be on a dvd. And I shall try it right now :D

Oh right, he wants the video. I'm sure there is a way to capture that, but it would involve having some sort of capture card and using the output from either a computer or DVD player.

dBpoweramp Guru

But this thread was posted in the "Wishlist" section, so I'm assuming that s/he wants it to be a future feature of dMC.....

But if s/he doesn want it in the future dMC, and is simply talking about extracting it, use a legal program (BUY IT) , like CloneDVD, DVD X Copy or whatever.....

OK, Exploring a home-made DVD, created with Sonic MyDVD, I find 3 folders:

1) JACKET_P - empty except for 3 hidden files of type .mp2 that appear to also be devoid of image or audio. They play in WMP, though nothing is shown.
    J00___5L.MP2 - 32MB
    J00___5M.MP2 - 8MB
    J00___5S.MP2 - 8MB

2) OpenDVD - a folder with other folders and files, some hidden, with information on the original sources used to create the DVD. It may be specific to DVD's created through Sonic MyDVD

3) VIDEO_TS - the actual folder containing the video clip(s) present on the DVD, both the video thumbnails that are optionally made, and the full size videos, as well as other ancillary files. Whatever is an actual video clip has extension .VOB, other small files are .IFO and .BUP.

The .VOB files, once copied to the HD, can be renamed to .mpg and will pay fine in WMP and also in Real Player. At least mine did. WMP says the file is encoded (or else being played) using the Ligos MPEG Video Decoder.

Now a commercial DVD:

This one is Ice Age, and it comes packaged with an autorun, games and other stuff. Also some programs which may or may not serve as copy protection. There's a program apparently fro playing it on the pc, also another folder with what's needed to play on a Mac.

The actual video segment is again a folder called VIDEO_TS and it include essentially the whole set of chapters which are all the different video clips that make up the movie. The are suffixed again by .VOB

But here's the problem: I'm not able to copy these files to my pc. I get a message the the maximum number of secrets has been exceeded or whatever. SO I suppose this where the actual copy protection kicks in. And again, this DVD doesn't actually play as a video on my pc either, only the various games that come with it. So maybe this wasn't a good example.

On the other hand, I have just come to realize that my beloved DVD burner is not capable of playing any commercial DVD's - which sounds like an aberration to me, therefore I must have something installed wrong with it, or at least the software that I have for it (PowerDVD). :vmad:

It burns my home-made dvd's ok, though :smile2:
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 01-01-2005 at 11:22 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

whoa.....that is a LONG post.......

how come your computer DVD drive can't play commerical DVDs? When did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    whoa.....that is a LONG post.......

how come your computer DVD drive can't play commerical DVDs? When did you buy it?
    Neil, I just bought it very recently and it's supposed to be a good brand. If I knew why it can't play commercial DVD's I'd not be wondering about it, would I? I have just realized this now, as my main focus wasn't to play commercial dvd's on it but rather to burn my own from my own home-made video clips, which it does OK.

I may not have installed it properly or else the software (PowerDVD) isn't cofigured properly for this, I don't know. I'm plenty upset over this, as you can imagine. :vmad:

dBpoweramp Guru

oh ok......(neil backs away from Christina)

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    oh ok......(neil backs away from Christina)
    LOL! :D I don't bite, you know.

dBpoweramp Guru

lol. i know, i was joking, that's all.