title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Limit

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Time Limit

yeah i know.......but....

Oh well, I'll try my best to support dMC.

Is there a possible way to force Thompson not to ask for royalties? Or is this just a matter of greediness?

Quote Originally Posted by neilthecellist
    yeah i know.......but....

Oh well, I'll try my best to support dMC.

Is there a possible way to force Thompson not to ask for royalties? Or is this just a matter of greediness?
    Neil, I'm sure there are some very good lawyers who've been looking at such things on both sides of the fence and it's very probably Thompson are within their rights to request royalties. At least until such time as there are any successful counter-suits, but this is not the case now. Spoon will not want to be the guinea-pig for this, I'm sure. And we, none of us, want to see Spoon get into any sort of legal trouble over this either, which would spell financial disaster. God forbid! All this for 14 bucks? I don't know, but this is roughly the price of one legitimately acquired CD here, or 2 or 3 crappy happy meals at McDonald's, or one movie ticket plus pop-corn. You get the idea.

dBpoweramp Guru

to go to the movies here you would be looking at AU$14.00 - $16.00 just for the movie ticket! depending on where you go it can be cheaper but there is also either train/bus/ or car parking fee's on top and god forbid should you want anything to eat you would be looking at an average of $30.00 plus per person to go to a movie.

ah i remember the days as kids we used to take a sandwich in a brown paper bag to eat at the theater, and walk 12-14 km's to the city to see the movie :D , those days were great!

Quote Originally Posted by Razgo
    ...walk 12-14 km's to the city to see the movie :D , those days were great!
    Barefoot? in the snow? oh, oops, no snow in Oz! :D

... walk 12-14 km's to the city to see the movie...
    You forgot uphill both ways. :teufel8:

dBpoweramp Guru

we definitely get snow here just not where i live though. and not may hills but when your young it doesn't really matter. my grandma used to walk us into the city. and she would have been around 60 years old then but still going strong. and the movies were in in 3D so we had those 3d glasses a lot.

dBpoweramp Guru

lol i'm 15. I'm not old enough to remember this...

dBpoweramp Guru

[QUOTE=ChristinaS All this for 14 bucks? I don't know, but this is roughly the price of one legitimately acquired CD here, or 2 or 3 crappy happy meals at McDonald's, or one movie ticket plus pop-corn. You get the idea.[/QUOTE]

OK, luv....I'm heading up to Montreal to take you to the moving picture theatre....pop-corn and all.
    Happy New Year to you and all.
    Arnie

dBpoweramp Guru

yup. happy new year !! (eve for me right now)

.... and the movies were in in 3D so we had those 3d glasses a lot.
    Shucks, I'm either too young to have experienced those, or too old and I've already forgotten :D

dBpoweramp Guru

it really depends on the area you grew up in. we didn't get full color TV transmission until 1975, a year after half of our city went under water in the 1974 floods. and i don't think we got a flush toilet until the late 60's early 70's. even though i was born in 1962 i remember a lot. and the picture theater's back then were HUGE! they were grand regal theater's because they did live plays in theater's in those days. so when live theaters started to make way for big screen movie pictures the screens were HUGE too because of the size of the theaters.

but now they are all gone and we get these little box theater's that cram everyone in. i think the 3d movie i saw was "the battle of Britain".

I think it was 1960 or so when Dad got our first TV. I vaguely remember lots of yelling from the rooftop where he was standing turning the antenna this way and that and yelling at Mom to tell him if the picture was any better. Time was of the essence, the World Cup of Soccer (or Football as the true lovers of the sport call it) had started and he didn't want to miss any of it. A most peculiar phenomenon was happening with our newly acquired tv. The players' legs appeared cut at roughly the knee level and the shin and foot would be inverted so the foot would be right under the knee upside down and the shin therefore was hanging down below the foot. At times the feet will run ahead, or behind, the players, most interesting. Or at least this is what I remember of that fateful day, thus Dad's ire and Mom's mounting dislike of that sport and this new thing called TV. I think for a long time I believed TV to be just an extension of the stadium, since nothing else could be watched in our house but soccer and at times news reports, equally boring for a young child. Besides I used to be told in no uncertain terms to shut up and even disappear during TV viewing. The TV as a babysiter had not been invented yet. Along with drinking, smoking, card playing, it was deemed adult entertainment.

The first color TV was acquired around 1974, through a gas credit card promotion offering 12 months of $100/month payments for an RCA color TV. Wow! Dad jumped on this offer, got that TV, then declared it crap, when all the colors were jumping around the screen from one place on the players' bodies to another, like some strange skin disease, attacking clothing as well (yes, still watching soccer). A week later the TV was returned for a refund. It was 2 years later that he finally bit the bullet again and got a Sony color TV and even went as far as getting cable installed, since the rooftop was lots higher now, having moved to a high-rise apartment building in the meanwhile.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 01-01-2005 at 01:32 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

wow.....interesting history there ChristinaS

dBpoweramp Guru

ah yes, i remember the "dad on the roof with arial days"

dBpoweramp Guru

OOO!!!!I just got 20 bucks!!!! But it's in cash....is there any way I can register? *I don't have a credit card/check/paypal* :(

I wanna register dMC!!! I have the money!!