title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Limit

Question Time Limit

Greetings,
    I am unable to use the program.
    Is there a time limit on the use?
    I have had it for far more than thirty days.

Jack

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Time Limit

the powerpack for dmc is 30 day trial but nothing else. it should be fully functional otherwise. can you post any errors you may be getting? and what is it you are doing when the error occurs?

Note that the PowerPack is what enables you to encode to mp3. So once the PowerPack expires, you can no longer encode to mp3, but you can still decode your current mp3s.
    Last edited by LtData; 12-31-2004 at 12:58 AM.

Arrow Re: Time Limit

Thanks!

When I attempt to rip, this box appears:

The "Power Pack" & Mp3 Encoding Licence trial have expired.

The power Pack adds advanced options to dBpowerAMP and Mp3 Encoding Licence allows unlimited mp3 writting.

Register Now Why a mp3 licence?

And this one:
    Errors while converting.
    The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Converted Music\ - Track01.mp3' could not be opened.

Happy New Year!
    Jack :komisch12

As it says, the PowerPack has expired and you can no longer encode mp3s. This was done in Release11 due to the mp3 patent holders demanding royalties from Spoon. Details here:
    http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5399
    Last edited by LtData; 12-31-2004 at 12:58 AM.

Arrow Re: Time Limit

Hey, Thats fine!
    So do I just follow the instructions at "register Now" and it will be back to normal?

Jack :D

Yes, you just pay the $14 registration and you will once again have mp3-encoding goodness. Of course, you also get the PowerPack features back.

Great,
    Although I never figured out what the Power Pack was for.

Jack :D

dBpoweramp Guru

the powerpack has a whole lot of features. the newly needed mp3 liscence is something that the developer(spoon) was forced to do. if you don't need to encode to mp3 and don't need all the powerpack features then you won't need to register. in theory that message should only pop up when trying to encode to mp3 after the 30 day trial.

OK,
    So that brings me back to square one.
    If I don't need to register than why the error?

Thanks,
    Jack :komisch12

dBpoweramp Guru

the error occurred because you were encoding to mp3. using the mp3 encoder is not free anymore. you can still play mp3's but convert/encode to mp3 without registering will result in that error , as spoon has to now pay royalties on the mp3 encoder.

but if you dont need to convert to mp3 then use convert to wma, ogg, etc etc...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Can you still not encode to mp3 using the generic CLI encoder and lame.exe? Has Spoon considered removing support for lame-enc.dll at all because of the patent and licensing issue?

There again $14 (£7.20 and falling!) is hardly going to break the bank and is worth it for all the effort Spoon has put in over the years.

dBpoweramp Guru

there may be some loop holes for now but for how long we don't know. you can read more here: dfc club and scroll down to see the commnets in the bottom post.

and yes $14.00 is cheap as chips and is a life time once only fee for all future upgrades and support.

dBpoweramp Guru

Razgo, if I used an older version of dMC to get by, would that ....somehow offend Spoon? I mean, I still don't have enough money to register dMC, so if I used an older version of dMC to get by the 30 day trial, would someone get really mad at me?

dBpoweramp Guru

no, Spoon Will not get mad at you. we don't try and force anyone to donate or register. that is completely a voluntary option.

but if you read my above post you may not have to go back to an older version to encode to mp3. the powerpack will still expire though.
    Last edited by Razgo; 12-31-2004 at 03:49 PM.