title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP3 File Association wierdness

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MacDude
    • Dec 2004

MP3 File Association wierdness

Hi

I have a fully registered dbPowerAmp Music Converter v11 running on Windows 98. I have no other MP3 associated software on the machine. DMC does not seem to associate .mp3 files with itself (yes I have run the config programme as advised and still no association). In explorer the files are shown with the default "unknown" icon and there is no file association visible via Folder Options/File Types. Obviously this scuppers the use of DMC for day to day management of my MP3 collection.

I have the latest common controls and DCom as advised.

Help and advice appreciated (e.g. can I set the association manually)?

Thanks
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: MP3 File Association wierdness

Yes, you can set the association manually. The easy way is to open one of the unassociated mp3 files and then select the application you want to open it with and check the box saying "Always use this application for these files" or something similar.
    The harder way is to go to your Folder Options and click the File Type tab. After all of your file types loas, scroll down until you see mp3. You can then set the "Open" command to use dMC by pointing "Open" to the dMC exe, MusicConverter.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MacDude
      Hi

I have a fully registered dbPowerAmp Music Converter v11 running on Windows 98. I have no other MP3 associated software on the machine. DMC does not seem to associate .mp3 files with itself (yes I have run the config programme as advised and still no association). In explorer the files are shown with the default "unknown" icon and there is no file association visible via Folder Options/File Types. Obviously this scuppers the use of DMC for day to day management of my MP3 collection.

I have the latest common controls and DCom as advised.

Help and advice appreciated (e.g. can I set the association manually)?

Thanks
      At the very least mp3 should be associated with a program such as Windows Media Player.

Did you check in WIndows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types and see what if anythig mp3 is supposed to be opened with. You can use the Change button and select a program from the installed programs. At this point you can pick Windows Media PLayer - or dBpowerAMP Player.

Than go to dBpowerAMP Plater > Confoguration > File Associations and fix things there too.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

dMC is not able to play an audio file that is why it leaves the association, install dBpowerAMP Audio Player if you want mp3 files associated with something.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MacDude
          • Dec 2004

Thanks for the ideas but still no joy.

There was no MP3 file type defined in Windows so I added it with a mime type of audio/mp3 and .mp3 extention and restarted. I also loaded dbPA player and went to "File Associations" and it doesn't even list MP3 as an audio type, and it refuses to recognise .mp3 files as something it can open. DMC is the same.

Help!

thx/andy

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Thanks for the ideas but still no joy.

There was no MP3 file type defined in Windows so I added it with a mime type of audio/mp3 and .mp3 extention and restarted. I also loaded dbPA player and went to "File Associations" and it doesn't even list MP3 as an audio type, and it refuses to recognise .mp3 files as something it can open. DMC is the same.

Help!

thx/andy
            You also have to tell Windows what program plays the mp3 files, since it wasn't already there. That would be through defining the Open command for it, the same place where you added the file extension.

You'd be much safer if you tell it to open it with WIndows Media Player at that point. You can always adjust the dAP file associations separately.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Right-click on one of your mp3 files and choose "Open With". If you do not see this option, hold shift and then right-click on the file. Then, in the window that comes up, pic dAP and check the box that says "Always open with this program" or something similar.

Comment

• MacDude
                • Dec 2004

Update-

OK how about this for weirdness. I installed Windows Media Player, restarted, and lo and behold everything started working. A wonderful Christmas present from the great Bill himself.

One has to ask why. This was a virgin W98 install on which IE6 had been imposed, but not much else (NB original W98 not SE). Obviously WMP tweaks the OS in some way that makes it look like what dBPA apps expect from a "modern" OS.

Oh well I'm off to play with my my audio at last.

Thanks for everyone's help and Happy Holidays!

Andy

Comment

• MacDude
                  • Dec 2004

By the way, to those who suggested the "Open With..." route, none of the dBpA apps showed up in the list to choose from, so I couldn't go this route.

/a

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

By the way, to those who suggested the "Open With..." route, none of the dBpA apps showed up in the list to choose from, so I couldn't go this route.

/a
                    Can you not select "Browse" and then select the dAP exe?

Comment

• neilthecellist
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2004

Maybe I should get a better understanding of you, MacDude... Are you new to using a computer? You simply press the "Browse" button using your mouse, usually held in your right hand (left hand if you're left-handed). If you're right handed, you press the "Browse" button with the left-click button. A dialog should pop up, asking you what program to open the files with. Find dAP.exe......

Comment

• OwnDog
                        • Jan 2005

I have installed a registered version (11) of MusicConverter and v2 of the player. The ability to show file association symbols is screwed up. Songs all play, convert what ever but the poweramp symbols for MP3, WMA etc are not visible. Right clicking and selecting properties shows they are in fact associated with dbpoweramp just the symbol is missing (generic symbol is showing in it's place). Opening dbpoweramps config settings doesn't work because they don't appear to be in the Illustrated folder. Sort of a rub that I can't get any of the symbols to work. WinXPHome SP1. I miss my little Guitar symbol and want it back.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by OwnDog
                          I have installed a registered version (11) of MusicConverter and v2 of the player. The ability to show file association symbols is screwed up. Songs all play, convert what ever but the poweramp symbols for MP3, WMA etc are not visible. Right clicking and selecting properties shows they are in fact associated with dbpoweramp just the symbol is missing (generic symbol is showing in it's place). Opening dbpoweramps config settings doesn't work because they don't appear to be in the Illustrated folder. Sort of a rub that I can't get any of the symbols to work. WinXPHome SP1. I miss my little Guitar symbol and want it back.
                          Check in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options> File associations ann see what is associated with each file extension that you're having trouble with. What you want is the program that will open each one of them on a double-click.
                          So if it's dAP, then select that one from the list of programs offered.

Comment

• OwnDog
                            • Jan 2005

Right clicking and selecting properties shows they are in fact associated with dbpoweramp just the symbol is missing (generic symbol is showing in it's place). Opening dbpoweramps config settings doesn't work because they don't appear to be in the Illustrated folder. Sort of a rub that I can't get any of the symbols to work. WinXPHome SP1. I miss my little Guitar symbol and want it back.
                            Ok now that we have both established that the file associations are indeed correct by coming at the problem from two different directions, why can I not get the dBpowerAmp icons to function? If I use Start=>Programs=>dBpowerAmp=>Configuration=>File Association the search window pops up and then sits until it times out. Using the manual option brings me to the Illustrate/dBpowerAmp directory which has no recognizable config file within the directory.

Let me restate yet one more time, the file association is correct. Dble clicking MP3, OGG or WMA pops up dBpowerAmp and they play. What does not happen is the correct Icons in the Windows directories. There is only the generic "I have no clue what this is" icon that windows uses when it's confused. Using the config in dBpowerAmp does not function.

Thanks for the speedy answer.

Comment

• adaywayne
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2004

Ok now that we have both established that the file associations are indeed correct by coming at the problem from two different directions, why can I not get the dBpowerAmp icons to function? If I use Start=>Programs=>dBpowerAmp=>Configuration=>File Association the search window pops up and then sits until it times out. Using the manual option brings me to the Illustrate/dBpowerAmp directory which has no recognizable config file within the directory.

Let me restate yet one more time, the file association is correct. Dble clicking MP3, OGG or WMA pops up dBpowerAmp and they play. What does not happen is the correct Icons in the Windows directories. There is only the generic "I have no clue what this is" icon that windows uses when it's confused. Using the config in dBpowerAmp does not function.

Thanks for the speedy answer.
                              Are you sure you are going to Player> onfiguration, and then File Associations, rather than to the DMC Converter configurion?

Comment

Working...

]]>