title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Errors wilst converting from Wma to Wav

Question Errors wilst converting from Wma to Wav

The file type '.wma' does not stream audio data and cannot be converted.

this is the error I'm getting...
    I have Windows Media Player 10
    DBpoweramp 10 Beta 3
    Powerpack 3
    Windows Media v9.1 codec for WMA

even tried uninstalling/reinstalling with hard boot.
    even tried doing the same with Windows Media player 10...:-(

and keep getting this error...
    I've even tried to convert to Mp3 and other formats, and nothing works...
    how do I fix it....
    ??
    Thanks, Skinny

Re: Errors wilst converting from Wma to Wav

First, install the newest version of dMC. That might help.

Second, can you play the wma file in Windows Media Player?
    Last edited by LtData; 12-12-2004 at 05:07 PM.

but the newest one is the one you have to pay for... the version 11...
    I cant afford to pay for it right now, that's why I went with the free one...
    plus I've been reading just about all day that that one has bugs, and even on Cnet, I was going to d/l it, and they complained of bugs in it...
    so I'm avoiding that one for now lol....

and Yes it plays in windows Media player, and also in Winamp....both...

Thanks,
    Skinny

You only have to pay if you want to encode to mp3 or keep the PowerPack only options. This is something that was forced on dMC by Thompson/Fraunhoefer. If you only rip to ogg, wma, or a format besides mp3, you don't have to pay after the 30-day trial runs out. Also, try using the last release version of r10, which can be downloaded here: http://www.sensory-fusion.com/module...id=3&*comment3

Anyway, back to your problem. Have you tried a test convert on your file? When you tell it to convert, pick "Test Conversion, no write" and see if it can read the file. From what I can tell, it won't be able to.

nope, same problem when trying the test...

The file type '.wma' does not stream audio data and cannot be converted.

[QUOTE=LtData]You only have to pay if you want to encode to mp3 or keep the PowerPack only options. This is something that was forced on dMC by Thompson/Fraunhoefer. If you only rip to ogg, wma, or a format besides mp3, you don't have to pay after the 30-day trial runs out. Also, try using the last release version of r10, which can be downloaded here: http://www.sensory-fusion.com/module...id=3&*comment3

o.k., but I do have a question on this...
    will I still be able to convert to Wav after the 30 days is up?
    and can I make Wavs back to mp3's after the 30 days?

[QUOTE=skinny25508]
    Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    You only have to pay if you want to encode to mp3 or keep the PowerPack only options. This is something that was forced on dMC by Thompson/Fraunhoefer. If you only rip to ogg, wma, or a format besides mp3, you don't have to pay after the 30-day trial runs out. Also, try using the last release version of r10, which can be downloaded here: http://www.sensory-fusion.com/module...id=3&*comment3

o.k., but I do have a question on this...
    will I still be able to convert to Wav after the 30 days is up?
    and can I make Wavs back to mp3's after the 30 days?
    If you don't delete your original mp3 file you don't need to convert the wav you got from converting the mp3 file to wav file back to it.

A conversion does not replace a file, it makes a new file with the new specs. You may have the original automatically deleted after the conversion, this would be a big mistake at all times, I firmly believe.

The paid subscription concerns the ability to convert any audio format to mp3 formats, not from mp3 formats to other formats.

Of course, once the free trial period is over for dMC R11, you will no longer be able to convert anything to mp3 unless you pay the subscription price. All other features will continue to work, minus those specifically related to PowerPack and mp3 encoding.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    Anyway, back to your problem. Have you tried a test convert on your file? When you tell it to convert, pick "Test Conversion, no write" and see if it can read the file. From what I can tell, it won't be able to.
    o.k., I did the d/l of dmc v10....(it's showing 10.1 in config after I installed the one you showed on that page that I d/led) but then rebooted, and tried the test convert, and nothing..
    tried regular convert to Wav and also to mp3, and nothing....
    keeps coming up this error:
    "The file type '.wma' does not stream audio data and cannot be converted."

this file plays in all my players (WMP and Winamp) haven't tried it in R/P
    but how would I go about converting, or is it possible?
    is there any other software out there that would do this?
    or is Dbpoweramp pretty much my only chance?

this is really got me dumbfounded, cause I had NO Problems at all with Dbpoweramp v9 and Windows media 9, and D/b 9 codecs....
    maybe I should go back to the beginning....

I did try taking everything off, even in the registry, and that didn't help either...UGH...

Skinny

Quote Originally Posted by skinny25508
    o.k., I did the d/l of dmc v10....(it's showing 10.1 in config after I installed the one you showed on that page that I d/led) but then rebooted, and tried the test convert, and nothing..
    tried regular convert to Wav and also to mp3, and nothing....
    keeps coming up this error:
    "The file type '.wma' does not stream audio data and cannot be converted."

this file plays in all my players (WMP and Winamp) haven't tried it in R/P
    but how would I go about converting, or is it possible?
    is there any other software out there that would do this?
    or is Dbpoweramp pretty much my only chance?

this is really got me dumbfounded, cause I had NO Problems at all with Dbpoweramp v9 and Windows media 9, and D/b 9 codecs....
    maybe I should go back to the beginning....

I did try taking everything off, even in the registry, and that didn't help either...UGH...

Skinny
    Are you sure it is a .wma file? Could it be a protected .wma file?

How did you get this file, what program created it? What are the specs of this file? You get this when hovering over it in Windows Explorer or even in the file properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S
    Are you sure it is a .wma file? Could it be a protected .wma file?

How did you get this file, what program created it? What are the specs of this file? You get this when hovering over it in Windows Explorer or even in the file properties.
    I d/led from a person using "You send it"

here"s the info it gives me..

In These Shoes - Kirsty MacColl.wma
    etension wma.
    lenth : 0:00
    Size 0kb
    original size 0kb
    no compression ratio settings there, and it says dbpoweramp at the bottom
    when I mouse over....

BUT...
    when I open it in Windows Media player it has these settings showing up in properties:
    160kbps, 44khz, Stereo 1-pass CBR
    length: 3:38
    unrated,
    and no licence info, I see Nowhere it says copywrited info....

Skinny

Skinny-
    I have two thoughts:
    a) Could this be a streaming audio file (meaning you can listen to it if you are attached to the internet but not otherwise)? If so, Music Converter cannot convert a streaming file. If you can save the entire streamed file to your hard drive you could maybe convert the saved file or, if you can play it, you can record it using Auxilary Input.

b) If this is not a streaming file, I wonder if you downloaded and installed the WMA v9.1 codec, did you first download and install the WMA v9.1 system files? Whereas the WMA v9 codec required only Windows Media Player 9 OR the WMA v9 system files, I believe that the WMA 9.1 codec may require the system files even with WMP 10 installed. So if you did not do this, I would recommend uninstalling the WMA 9.1 codec, downloading and installing the WMA 9.1 system files and then the WMA v 9.1 codec. Shut down and restart your computer.

Good luck and best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Is this file about 5MB or is it much smaller, like 1-2Kb?

o.k. to answer both questions:

Quote Originally Posted by xoas
    Skinny-
    I have two thoughts:
    a) Could this be a streaming audio file (meaning you can listen to it if you are attached to the internet but not otherwise)? If so, Music Converter cannot convert a streaming file. If you can save the entire streamed file to your hard drive you could maybe convert the saved file or, if you can play it, you can record it using Auxilary Input.

b) If this is not a streaming file, I wonder if you downloaded and installed the WMA v9.1 codec, did you first download and install the WMA v9.1 system files? Whereas the WMA v9 codec required only Windows Media Player 9 OR the WMA v9 system files, I believe that the WMA 9.1 codec may require the system files even with WMP 10 installed. So if you did not do this, I would recommend uninstalling the WMA 9.1 codec, downloading and installing the WMA 9.1 system files and then the WMA v 9.1 codec. Shut down and restart your computer.
    I had Windows Media 9 on here... then I installed Windows Media 10, re-booted, and then installed dbpoweramp, re-booted, then ainstalled v9 system files, re-booted, then installed v9.1 codec....restarted, then tried....
    that didn't work....lol....

and to answer ChristinaS Question...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Is this file about 5MB or is it much smaller, like 1-2Kb?
    the file is 4,297kb to be exact...
    Skinny

Quote Originally Posted by xoas
    Skinny-
    I have two thoughts:
    oh, and to answer this one...
    I CAN play it off the net...
    meaning I dont have to have an internet connection to play the file...
    that's what's so weird, is I've delt with Streaming before....
    and this wont even open with Steambox VCR, that's how I know it's not streaming...
    Skinny

Quote Originally Posted by skinny25508
    oh, and to answer this one...
    I CAN play it off the net...
    meaning I dont have to have an internet connection to play the file...
    that's what's so weird, is I've delt with Streaming before....
    and this wont even open with Steambox VCR, that's how I know it's not streaming...
    Skinny
    OK, so it is a genuine audio file. Could you send it to me using that service at www.yousendit.com? I will PM you my email address.