title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to convert wma files to play on regular CD player?

how to convert wma files to play on regular CD player?

Hey

Excuse this lame question - but I've been scrathing my head for a while - I can't get files that I've ripped to WMA to play ona regular CD player - do I need to convert them to a different files type? Is it one that I can use the music converter to convert?

cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: how to convert wma files to play on regular CD player?

to burn to cd you actually need a cd burning program. dbpoweramp has a cd writer 30 day trial here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cdwriter.htm

there are free ones around, just do a google on "cd burning software"

Thanks Razgo

I have been burning CDs using windows Media Player 9 - I ripped some of my CDs and saved them as Windows Media Player 9 files, but now the Media Player won't convert them to a format I can play on a CD player (eg. cda). Do I need to get software to convert the wma files to cda format? Is there any other format that plays on regular CD players, 'cos I've got some songs recorded on music software that I also want to put on a CD.

I'm looking around for wma to cda conversion software.

Thanks again.

You cannot "convert" to cda format. cda files are only pointers to where the song is located on the CD.

Also, what you need is software that will burn an "Audio" CD or something similar. Easy CD/DVD Creator will do this, as will Nero, but both cost money. I don't know of any free burning programs off the top of my head, though.

Red face Re: how to convert wma files to play on regular CD player?

Thanks

So, which format do I need to save my files as in order to play them on a regular cd player?

'Cos the files I ripped as wma files burn to the cd as wma files but won't play on my cd player.

Sorry - I'm a little confused :o
    Last edited by tick; 12-06-2004 at 05:47 PM.

You need a burning program that will make an Audio CD. The converter converts them to audio and puts a .cda file pointing there on the CD. I would think WMP 9 would be able to this, but I have never tried it myself.

As far as formats, wav is guaranteed to work, but as long as the CD burning program understands the file, they can be whatever. Normally mp3 and wma files work too, but it differs from program to program on the remainder of formats.

dBpoweramp Guru

yes a cda is not a file format but a way of displaying audio tracks, much like a menu.

a free burner:
    http://www.burn4free.com/

i have used it to burn data but not audio so i dont know how well it does that.

So, which format do I need to save my files as in order to play them on a regular cd player?
    Your basic cd consists of audio in wav format with .cda information added which provides the cd player the information it needs to know where the tracks are located and so forth. In the very early days of home cd burning, it was necessary to convert
    wma/mp3 or other formatted files to wav and then the burner program would burn them. Many programs nowadays will convert "directly" to wav and then burn to cd automatically so it will require only a single step from the user's perspective. So if you are at all uncertain, convert your wma files to wav prior to burning.

Best wishes,
    Bill mikkelsen

Windows Media Player can burn an audio CD from wma or wav files. For mp3's you need a special plugin (not free).

You start Windows Media PLayer > File > Copy > Copy to Audio CD and then you proceed to add audio files to the playlist that will be burned to the cd. You cannot go beyond the maximum duration of an audio cd, generally 74 minutes (that's true of all cd burning programs).

Windows Media PLayer will use Roxio burning software (which appears to come with WMP because I don't recall installing that myself and yet I have it). It can also use other burning sfotware you may have installed like Nero.

Nero by itself will burn audio cd's from wav and mp3 files, but not wma (unless you have a plugin).

You could of course also get the dMC CD Writer for a small fee and you can make your audio cd's using all the different types of audio files for which you have the codecs installed in dMC, so you're not limited by what WMP or Nero can or cannot do.

Can i use same method as suggested by christinas to convert wmv to cda

If you want to keep the video content you will need something that can convert the wmv file to a Video CD

Question Re: how to convert wma files to play on regular CD player?

I have downloaded some wma files and cant get them to play, can someone help?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by creekgirl77 View Post
    I have downloaded some wma files and cant get them to play, can someone help?
    Yeah .. a good advice would be to get your files from legitimate sources rather than through piracy. You will get much more help then.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    Yeah .. a good advice would be to get your files from legitimate sources rather than through piracy. You will get much more help then.
    And how do yo know that those files have copyrigth? maybe you are reflecting your piracy actions on the rest of the people, give a good answer, if not, your silence will be much apreciated. Regards.

Under normal circumstances, MP3 and WMA files, but it is from program to program on the rest of the format.